Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ah, sweet, delicate bay scallops!

When I was in college (back east) friends and I would snorkel and pick up a lot off the bay bottom. We would have a group scallop shucking at the dorm. Only about half of those little darlins made it to the bowl.

Nice cold November water too. By the time we went home at Thanksgiving we each had a gallon or more.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
scallops punched out of stingray is vastly over stated.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There used to be a sweet, plump little French lady that had a cooking show on Maryland Public TV.

She did a show on crabcakes where she mixed up a batch made with lump backfin and pureed scallops for binder. I always wanted to try it, but never had the nerve. If it wasn't good, I'd be inconsolable over the waste.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I've always heard is that they are punched out of skate wings, not stingray, but the next time I'm over in St. Michaels I'll ask the seafood dealer I know.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Certifiable

I've love scallops and I've tried a few different types of rays cooked a few different ways. There is ZERO similarity between the two! The rays were edible at best..
I think 99% of talk about scallops being punched out of ray wings is urban myth and BS..Not saying it's never happened but I just don't buy it...

Winner winner scallop dinner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/food/IMG_0606_zps5fe8d502.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/food/IMG_2474_zpsb440c063.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Texas%20PINS%202011/PINSTX170.jpg[/img]

I hate you. Really, really hate you. wink

Need to buy some of these soon. Usually every few months we get them but it has been probably 9.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I checked Wiki and Snopes with no luck. I made an inquiry on Snopes, so maybe they'll come up with something.

Yahoo Answers came up with mixed results. Possibly the ones sold as "Ocean" scallops, the large ones with no little gristly part on the side are indeed, cut from the wings of skates, not stingrays. Bay scallops are the real deal.

Wiki notes that diver-harvested scallops are superior to dredged ones because there is less grit and they get to market more quickly.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No offense, but your getting your info from Wiki on scallops is a little silly. 'Get to market quicker'? Ummm, OK. I suppose one could argue that's true. If the guys I know that dive for them don't stop for a 12 pack and drive quicker to the wholesale buyer than the guys that dredge for them (most seafood buyers don't much care how the products come in, assuming it was legal).

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
What I've always heard is that they are punched out of skate wings, not stingray, but the next time I'm over in St. Michaels I'll ask the seafood dealer I know.

Don't care if they are skate wings or stingray. If they are then they are one of my favorites, makes no difference to the taste buds.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by GeoW

Don't care if they are skate wings or stingray. If they are then they are one of my favorites, makes no difference to the taste buds.

Well yeah, I get what you're saying, but would you be happy paying $18.99 a pound for skate wings? Somehow, I think not...

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just reporting what the article said.

The part about the grit makes sense, anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

No, it doesn't. Grit is found in both hard shell as well as soft shell clams, mussels sometimes and very occasionally in oysters, and hell, in most any bivalve that sits at the bottom in a sandy, muddy or silty environment. But a gritty scallop? Nope. Not unless you're buying your scallops whole, which you're not. There should NEVER be any grit in scallops, ever. Why is that? Because in this country 99.99% of the time the damned things are already shucked when the end buyer gets them, and have been washed.

I've eaten scallops for 40 years plus, have shucked way more than my share of bivalves too and I don't recall ever having a 'gritty' scallop. It'd be a trick to even get a gritty scallop, save for one some clumsy shucker dropped in the sand before sending to market. wink

Not hating on you, just spreading the knowledge. Trust me on this.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/24/15.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The muscle composing the scallop isn't a part of the digestive tract, so there's no way ingested "grit" could be a factor.

How do you know when you've pissed off the bartender?

There's a string hangin out of your bloody mary.

How do you know when you've pissed off the itame-san?

There's grit in your fresh scallop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same as with recycled chew gum..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Fubarski
The muscle composing the scallop isn't a part of the digestive tract, so there's no way ingested "grit" could be a factor.

How do you know when you've pissed off the bartender?

There's a string hangin out of your bloody mary.

How do you know when you've pissed off the itame-san?

There's grit in your fresh scallop.

lol wink

That's 'itamae', demo wakatta tomodachi. smile

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No, it's itame, whenudonnowhadafukurtalkinabout.

Lol

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went back to Wiki and checked the reference for the grit thing. The footnote referred to an article written about the Tasmanian fishery. Apparently outside of the U.S. scallops are often sold whole as the roe, known as coral, is also eaten. Here of course, only the adductor muscle is ordinarily consumed, so the scallops are shucked and as you stated, rinsed.

China and Japan both farm scallops, with China at least raising mostly Atlantic bay scallops. Whodathunkit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
It'd be a trick to even get a gritty scallop, save for one some clumsy shucker dropped in the sand before sending to market.

Dirty rotten mother shuckers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
...Apparently outside of the U.S. scallops are often sold whole as the roe, known as coral, is also eaten.

Yep, had them in Brazil one time when there on business - they had a orange'ish colored "appendage". I tried one with it and didn't care for it, so cut it off the rest before finishing.

Also, someone mentioned Costco, they also sell a bag of frozen ones that are pretty good - take some up to my mom every time I visit her in Arkansas.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.