-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any other info regarding Boyds and the A5?

I'm at the edge of my seat.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My favorite stock is on the rifle I'm shooting gophers with at the time! Muddy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Any other info regarding Boyds and the A5?

I'm at the edge of my seat.

Travis

Lots of information here:

www.boydsgunstocks.com

www.mcmillanusa.com

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Would any one know for certain if the factory Varmint Special barrel will fit into the McMillan Hunter stock? They specifically mention it when describing the Game Scout but not when discussing the Hunter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO, the McMillan Hunter doesn't have enough forearm width/thickness to take the Varmint Special contour barrel. I like the McMillan Hunter, but think that it is maxed out with Remington's magnum contour barrel. The Remington Hunter has a much wider/thicker forearm and will handle up to a #8 contour barrel.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
IMO, the McMillan Hunter doesn't have enough forearm width/thickness to take the Varmint Special contour barrel. I like the McMillan Hunter, but think that it is maxed out with Remington's magnum contour barrel. The Remington Hunter has a much wider/thicker forearm and will handle up to a #8 contour barrel.

Thank you. I actually had thought they were the same thing, but after you posted that I went back and looked at the website and see what you are talking about.

Have you or anyone else tried the Game Scout? It looks kind of silly, but I enjoyed the vertical grip on my Anschutz 1813 and my 64 MSR and might enjoy that one too.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A.... 5.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of these 2...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

One of these 2...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by deflave
A.... 5.

Travis

The A3 looks interesting, but the A 5 seems a bit much for what I have in mind. Got any idea what they weigh?

Thanks for suggesting it btw, it is good to see stock-makers are trying to make more ergonomic designs these days.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The A3 is pretty specialized. I've had both and I'd take the A5 most times.

I've weighed them but can't recall what they came out to.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BA rifle Shrap'.....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rex, pretty tough to beat a Rem Varmint if thinking Rem Varmint contour or heavier.....One of my all time favorite HB patterns....

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 05/02/15.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RexM

The A3 looks interesting, but the A 5 seems a bit much for what I have in mind. Got any idea what they weigh?

Thanks for suggesting it btw, it is good to see stock-makers are trying to make more ergonomic designs these days.

IMHO, the A3 is much better off the bench than the A5. I've had both, and the A5 hook is not great for riding a bag.

Another good one is a Manners T2. It has a forearm similar to the A5, and a flat-bottomed butt similar in shape to an A3. Best of both worlds.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by xverminator
Rex, pretty tough to beat a Rem Varmint if thinking Rem Varmint contour or heavier.....One of my all time favorite HB patterns....

X-VERMINATOR

Is the grip structure different from the factory stock? I can't tell from the pictures. I am looking for something with a more full, rounded grip than the flat factory stock. Close is ok, but it needs to be rounded or have a palm swell.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by darrenk75b

IMHO, the A3 is much better off the bench than the A5. I've had both, and the A5 hook is not great for riding a bag.

Another good one is a Manners T2. It has a forearm similar to the A5, and a flat-bottomed butt similar in shape to an A3. Best of both worlds.

How does the A3 work in the field? I am not likely to ever shoot prone, but I will from sitting with bi-pod or sticks and also from an elevated blind. I am sure I will shoot my share from the bench too, but that is not my primary objective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xverminator

X-VERMINATOR

Is the grip structure different from the factory stock? I can't tell from the pictures. I am looking for something with a more full, rounded grip than the flat factory stock. Close is ok, but it needs to be rounded or have a palm swell.

Sorry just saw this, been busy! It is an exact duplicate of the factory version. If you like palm swells maybe look at the Sako varmint pattern, IIRC.....

X-VERMINATOR

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Hello. My wife just bought me an older Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243 after finding out it was one of my dream rifles from youth. I have not had a centerfire rifle in nearly 30 years, so we would like to make it something special.

What is your favorite varmint stock? We will use it on the farm in TN for white-tail, crows, and ground hogs. I am interested in the McMillan stock modeled after the Sako 85 Varmint. What do you think about it?

or, what is your personal favorite stock for a like rifle?

Thanks!

I have had numerous model 700 Varminter Specials (the model with the wood BDL hunter style stock) to me this was a great stock. If that is what the rifle has on it then I would leave it as is with the possible exception of bedding it, nothing could make it more special than leaving it original. If you are determined to put a McMillan on it then pick the stock closest to the original factory stock. You will find few stocks that handle better fit better than the original design. (just my opinion of course)

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
RexM: My all time favorite McMillan Varmint stock is available for the 700 Varmint - the model is called "Winchester Marksman".
I have several of these and as far as I am concerned for "all around Varmint Hunting" its unbeatable.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.