Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

We want to hunt deer in the Trinity Alps. Therefore, we need big game hunting licenses and deer tags for area B-2, right?

In order to buy a hunting license or tag we have to provide proof of hunter safety course or hunting license issued from another state for the previous year. If we buy licenses and tags via the Internet, how do we demonstrate that we have a hunting license from another state?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You need to go to the California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife website for the latest information.
As I understand it, if you were born after a certain date, you must submit a copy of your NRA Hunter Safety Certificate. But check the website.
When I last hunted that area, a "B" tag was good for the whole zone. You could apply for two tags as well. But, again, check the website for the latest information. You can also use their phone numbers to get that and other information. E

S
S
Good question KC, not totally sure of the answer. Reg's have changed quite a bit since I hunted there. Shoot one of these guys an email and I'm sure they can/will answer whatever questions you have:

Advanced Hunter Education Coordinator: Alan Gregory alan.gregorywildlife.ca.gov

Program Administrator: Robert Pelzman robert.pelzmanwildlife.ca.gov

The Trinities are awesome, to say the least. They have become really popular and can see quite a few hunters at times. The farther back in you go, the less you will see. Best of luck!

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
You just need a general B tag. Buy before the draw as B tags sold out the last few years. I'm not sure about how to provide proof of hunters safety.

The trinities are a lot more popular now than they used to be. Expect to run into a lot of hunters, or get back deep into someplace where the outfitters don't want to bring their horses through.

Last time I hunted the trinities we saw a fair amount of deer, and a few nice ones, but we still had another group hunting right next to us, even though we were several miles back in.

You might consider doing a duel bear/deer hunt. There are a lot of bears in the trinities.

Last edited by Verwoest_P_A; 04/25/15.
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

So I registered and got a California GO number. Then I scanned my current Colorado Small Game License and attached it to an E-mail that I sent to the California Department of Fish & Wildlife Hunter Education Coordinator. Hopefully that will get the job done. I'll call tomorrow.

Thanks for the info regarding the Zone B tag. I'll buy one on-line as soon they system allows it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Glad I could help out. There is some really nice country in the "B" zones. Have fun. E

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Got my hunting license and deer tag.

Do we need to wear orange clothing while hunting in CA?

Do we need to use bullets that do not contain lead in zone B?

KC

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I know of no regulation(s) that require the wearing of orange clothing while hunting big game in Kalifornia. You might want to e-mail the DFW for the latest in regulations, however.
Lead free ammo is required on Dept of Fish & Wildlife lands, which should be marked as such, and when hunting bighorn sheep this year. Almost all of the "B" zone areas I've hunted aren't DFW land.
Have fun. The "B" zones have some of our best big game hunting. I'm trying for a tag at the other end of the state. E

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The Trinities are a great wilderness area for hunting, are you planning on using a guide service or do your own research?

I am just curious I have been backpacking in the trinity alps for years and would be happy to share any info I have if you are interested.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HokeyPokeyKid
are you planning on using a guide service or do your own research?

I am just curious I have been backpacking in the trinity alps for years and would be happy to share any info I have if you are interested.

HokeyPokey:

We are doing lots of research but that's never as good as boots on the ground.

We will be using a horse packer to get us into the back country. But no guide. Any suggestions regarding where to go would be helpful. PM me if you don't want to share on open forum.

KC

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I don't mind sharing publicly. I'm guess you are going to set up a base camp in one of the larger meadows and branch out from there.

The only trailhead I would avoid completely is canyon creek, it has the easiest access to the most popular destinations in the alps and will have regular backpackers most of the year.

It is very hard to recommend any one location though, I have seen good bucks and black bear on nearly every trip into the wilderness.
If you have a specific location or trailhead in mind I could offer my thoughts. I am going to do some early season scouting the week after memorial day once the weekend rush slows down.

Last edited by HokeyPokeyKid; 05/19/15. Reason: edited for grammar
Hey KC, I run a pack string along the Northern boundary of the Trinities. We typically don't pack more than three or so miles
south of the Pacific Crest Trail. Most of our work is in the Marbles.
Will help if I can
Ken

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (338reddog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 35 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.