Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Why do manufacturers use that blasted thumb throttle lever on an ATV? Why not a grip throttle control like a motorcycle?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lawyers & Lawsuits!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Why do manufacturers use that blasted thumb throttle lever on an ATV? Why not a grip throttle control like a motorcycle?

I've always wondered why they use a grip throttle on motorcycles instead of a (superior grin ) thumb lever like they use on ATVs and snow machines.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Control. If you ride/work in steep/rough enough country, at some point you'll be using your grip on the handle to keep your seat. That little thumb lever keeps you from giving it more umph when all you're trying to do is hang on...that unintended umph might be the difference between being on the trail and a couple 100 feet down the side of the mountain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Control. If you ride/work in steep/rough enough country, at some point you'll be using your grip on the handle to keep your seat. That little thumb lever keeps you from giving it more umph when all you're trying to do is hang on...that unintended umph might be the difference between being on the trail and a couple 100 feet down the side of the mountain.

This ^^^^^ from my own personal prospective as well.A grip throttle would = an elevated cast most assuredly.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Makes sense but we don't use them where we elk hunt. You would have to pack it in grin and they are frowned upon. Mine gets used more to plow snow than anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've ridden race bikes (3 wheelers) with the twist throttle and I hated it. Almost killed myself riding a whooped out trail and lost control of it after hitting some major bumpage. Never again!

Snowmachines have the same throttle as atv's and the big thing these days is to turn them around so your squeezing the throttle with your fingers instead of thumb. Haven't tried it yet but might next week.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That might help. Been using an ATV with a GPS mounted to do long survey lines collecting data at work to create digital terrain models. After a few days the old thumb gets pretty tired.

No speed involved at 5 MPH.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree ... back in my ATV days I installed Motion Pro twist throttles on all my quads. They just seemed effortless and with some experience they aren't any more dangerous than the thumb throttle. I have moved on to side x sides and the foot controls are even better. grin He11, I'm to the point now where I almost always have my 8yr old son with me and I let him take the wheel while I kick back, relax, and enjoy a cold one! We are both happy in the end.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throttles need to be put on the left side. Leaves the right hand free, to pistol up the coyotes you're chousin'......

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Throttles need to be put on the left side. Leaves the right hand free, to pistol up the coyotes you're chousin'......

Or for sidehilling a sled. Its as easy as: Gold Finger

There is nothing quite as funny as someone not used to dual throttles grabbing the lefty throttle when they are going for the brake.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A friend has an old Yamaha atv with a terrible thumb lever. It's located too far out from the bar and you have to stretch way out to reach it. The thumb gets really sore in a short time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There is an aftermarket throttle extender so you can use more of your hand instead of just your thumb.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A fired 12 gauge shell works good for a temp throttle extender.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thumb levers? About 15 years ago, I needed to cross a swampy area to recover an elk. My ATV is only 2wd. I was in about a foot of water when the front tires came up against a submerged log and stopped me dead. I was standing on the pedals rocking it to get some traction to back up. The rears were turning nicely when one of them caught and I shot backwards. Since I was standing, it threw me forward over the bars and my waist was pressing down on my hand so I couldn't release the throttle. I probably accelerated for 10 yds and was getting up a good head of steam before I could get my hand out from under me to stop. My partner who watched it all thought it was a lot funnier than I did.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got one of those throttle extenders on my Foreman and you can bend it to where it feels comfortable, I like it and my thumb never gets sore.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tzone
There is an aftermarket throttle extender so you can use more of your hand instead of just your thumb.

I plow with my ATV and my glove got fouled on the throttle extension lever extension. I got to the end of a neighbor's driveway and the more I squeezed the front brake the faster I went. I yanked my right hand off of the grip and help it up like a bronc rider in a rodeo! The extension levers are great for long rides or if you have carpal tunnel in your right hand.
The reason for levers VS twist grips is on a bike your lean to turn and on ATVs and snowmobiles you steer with the Handle bar.
A friend of mine that has been riding bikes for over 45 years had a time getting used to riding an ATV.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
173 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.