Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Azar, torque the front and rear screws down, and leave the middle screw out. Does the floorplate latch then?

If so, that means you had too much torque on the middle screw. Crank the front and rear screws down, and install the middle one just finger tight with blue locktite.

BP-B6

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Or remove a little bit of the stock.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
admin100,
No. Today was my sons birthday party, so I spent all day doing that. Perhaps I'll get time next weekend.

Dogcatcher223,
It's not the middle screw as I verified that. I had the middle screw backed out (high enough it was proud of the trigger guard) and screwed the rear screw down to 45in/lbs. I then went down in 5in/lb increments until I had 100% reliability and that was at 30in/lbs.

Steelhead,
It's possible it's due to the bedding job. The smith glass bedded around the recoil lug, 2" worth of barrel and the tang. Perhaps just take some of the bedding off the tang area...?

In any case, I feel better about these torque settings then what they were at when I took the action out of the stock. I went from 40/15 to 65/30. But it's still not at Rugers recommended specs. I'll probably shoot it first before relieving any wood or bedding.

Thanks for the feedback.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is this in a wood stock now?

If you've got the floorplate latch moving around when tightened, then you have a bedding problem that can be fixed. I would get everything bedded properly if I were you. There should be no binding when tightened, not even of the floorplate. That means that something somewhere is high-centering.

Originally Posted by Azar
This is in a factory laminate stock. It was bedded by a local smith who came recommended to me.

I would guess the trigger guard and floor plate were not bedded by the local smith?

It sounds like they need to be so that they are level when installed and not "rocking" back/forth (high-centering or just plain un-level) as the action screws are tightened.

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There does appear to be a bit of skim bedding under the floor plate around the front action screw, now that you mention it. Nothing around the trigger guard though.

Another option to consider, thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After I had bedded my rifle if I torqued the screws to tight the floor plate would not close properly? My particular Hawkeye shoots fine without the screws torqued to factory recommendations.

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Perhaps I've had it wrong in my head for the torque specs on the rear action screw. I remembered I had e-mailed Ruger years ago asking about torque specs.

Originally Posted by me, 6/15/2011, e-mail to Ruger C.S.

What is the recommended [in*lbs] torque for the action screws on the M77 Mk. II Sporter rifle?

I've looked in the owners manual and your FAQ at your website but I couldn't find anything.

Originally Posted by Ruger Customer Service E-mail response
The front mounting screw (under the floor plate hinge) should be torqued to 95 inch pounds. All other screws should be hand tight and then backed off 1/8” of a turn.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

So both the rear and middle screw should be just "hand-tight" and backed out 1/8" of a turn. No wonder it was binding at 45 in/lbs. Even 30 in/lbs sounds like it's tighter than recommended by Ruger.

Since it seems to function 100% as-is, I'll leave it. If I think it's causing an issue, I'll back it down bit-by-bit.

Thanks for all the help.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

For my Rugers

65 in/lbs front
50 in/lbs rear
middle screw barely in the gun

Everything functions and shoots excellent

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I guess everyone needs a hobby..... smile

My rifles but one, including 2 Ruger OM, are all bedded the same. Full length receiver bedding plus 2 or so inches of bbl, magazine well (with clearance all around and is not a bearing between receiver and bottom stuff, which is also bedded. Front and back screw holes are column bedded with epoxy, or I think on the M98, I have a steel pillar in there. All are free-floated from 2 inches or so forward of the receiver - wherever the epoxy bedding ends. Except the Mauser, which wears a heavy barrel bedded out to fore-end. Most anything I'd hunt with in any of the rifles does 3 shot groups into 1.5 at 100, and most of that goes 1.25 or less. Not much goes very much under 1.0, but some does (I've a 250 grain handload for the RU77 .338WM that puts 3 into an inch +/- at 200).

I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench either. Front screw gets snugged down tight as I can by hand, then the back one. Most of these have index marks on the bottom metal just for luck. Middle screws just snugging up and that's it. I have no idea what the torque values are, and seldom have a problem with not coming back to the previous POI without adjustment after disassembly/reassembly.

If you tighten the front screw down as tight as it can go, then the rear one, and either goes from "coming snug" to "tight" in more than a half turn, your stuff isn't bedded flat enough in the stock, or it is warping around the mag box.. A quarter turn is better, and an eigth best of all.

The .260 Rem 725SA is my problem child - er - hobby.... Shoots most any 140 gr to 1.25 or less - mostly a bit less. It shoots everything else I've tried into 3-5 MOA.

Still, 140 grain isn't a bad bullet weight.... smile I'll play with hand loads (starting with untried 130 gr bullets) once I get back to where components and my reloading equipment is readily available. For some odd reason, airlines won't let one carry bulk powder/primers in luggage..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

I relieved about .2" off the bottom of the magazine first thing. Some people remove twice that.

.2?

3/16 of an inch is .1875
twice that is .375 (3/8")
maybe you meant .02 ?

IC B3

Azar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shot the rifle a month ago with floated mag box and new torque settings. With my old accuracy load the rifle went from 1.136" 5-shot group @ 100 yards to 2.179" 5-shot group @ 100 yards.

blush Oops!

I should have followed the sage advice of only messing with one thing at a time so I knew for certain what caused the issue. Easy enough to go back to previous torque settings though, so I backed the rear action screw back down to 15 in/lbs. I didn't get to shoot it again until last Friday.

The crappy part was I only had three shots left of my accuracy load. 1.067" 3-shot group @ 100 yards. Wish I had a full 5 shots to get a fair comparison. Shots 4&5 could easily make it a 1.8" group as well as having them land within it. Oh well, no way to tell how it would have played out.

All is not lost though. I still have some bullets from that same box (160g Sierra GameKing SBT) and the brass is the same lot as before. The newer lot of powder is ~5% faster than the one from 6 years ago and I went from the Winchester WLR to the Federal 215 mag primer. And of course the aforementioned return to 15 in/lbs (from 30 in/lbs) on the rear action screw.

The results:
5-shot group @ 100 yards: 1.059"
Velocity: 3,007 fps (114 fps gain over old accuracy load)
Extreme Spread: 5 fps (reduced by 40 fps over old accuracy load)
Standard Deviation: 2 fps (reduced by 3 fps over old accuracy load)

Seems I have a new accuracy load. smile

Guess my rifle doesn't like the rear screw very tight, as per Rugers recommendations.

Now I need to see if my other established loads fell apart. whistle

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.