Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another thing you can do is to stiffen up the forearm.
Most of those plastic stocks a have channel or a series of channels running down the center of the forearm.

Get a carbon fiber arrow and lay it in that channel or cut it to lay in these series of channels and fill the voids with Brownells Acruglass (not the gel).If the voids are big,you can mix polymer beads that air soft pistols use with the acrulglass to keep the weight down.

Also.Fix one thing at a time.You will learn more

BTW.The old dollar bill clearance is not sufficient with todays thin sporter barrels.They whip around more than that. I typically use about .020 clearance.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/26/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No expert here by any means BUT one other though they comes to me is how you are resting the rifle in what ever rest you are using when shooting. If you place that rifle in the rest more towards the rear and then on a couple shots the rest is more towards the front of the forearm where you say it is most flexible then you could be putting upward pressure on the barrel causing the fliers. I would make sure that with that stock that you support it as far back as you can to eliminate that variable.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have a new-to-me rifle that consistently puts 3 out of 5 shots in an inch with the other 2 generally above and to the side, resulting in a 1 1/2 to 2 inch group.

Any idea of where to start?

There is a list of ~20 commonly recited accuracy rituals on the internet that will not affect the 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards goal.
There is a list of ~12 commonly recited accuracy rituals on the internet that WILL affect the 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards goal.

We can order the effective 12 in order of frequency of "that was the problem" or we can order them in order of how big a problem they can create.

Going with the probability:
1) screws attaching scope bases to receiver are loose.
This is the cause to over 50% of the cases of some shots over here followed by some shots over here at the range for both my ~100 center fire rifles, and for those I help with my tools at the range.
2) Barrel is heating up and warping
3) Wind gusts
4) Barrel is heating up and touching stock.
5) action screws are loose
6) you are pulling shots. Practice keeping cross hairs on bullseye while dry firing
7) You have inconsistent ammo
8) Copper fouling in bore

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bed. Float. Trigger.

Tight screws. Think antelope sniper said that.

It's a Remington. It should shoot.

I notice the OP is firing factory stuff. Check ammo for run out and shoot the "good" stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bedding is not ging to help the plastic stock that is not straight. Got to fix that first.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just replace the plastic stock with a better one, because they are nothing but junk and not worth the effort to try and fix .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Bedding is not ging to help the plastic stock that is not straight. Got to fix that first.

That's for sure. Thought he had that figured out by now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That's for sure. Thought he had that figured out by now.

Nope. Per OP "I dropped in the bread wrapper tag and the barrel is free-floated back to about 1 inch ahead of the action, according to the dollar bill test. However, sliding a business card along the barrel channel still shows the stock closer to the barrel on the right side than on the left.

In addition, the stock is so flexible I can press it against the barrel with just fingertip pressure."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe you aren't seeing fliers at all, just the true grouping ability for five shoots with this rifle and the factory ammo tried. Many untuned factory rifles with factory ammo just aren't capable of better accuracy than you are seeing.

Last edited by super T; 04/26/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only way I have ever got $50 injection moulded stocks to shoot well is to make under cuts and fill with so much epoxy the stock is very heavy.

I take them off and throw them away.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Tight screws. Think antelope sniper said that.

Recently had a rifle that shot many good groups but one group out of every 3 or 4 confounded me with a 3 inch flier.

In exasperation I tightened the action screws so fargin tight I hurt my fingers just to see if that worked.......

Instant 0.75 moa groups and very consistent.

Buggered if I know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have a new-to-me rifle that consistently puts 3 out of 5 shots in an inch with the other 2 generally above and to the side, resulting in a 1 1/2 to 2 inch group.

Any idea of where to start?

With a new barrel.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
As your rifle warms up, the barrel is shifting. Bedding first...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm not much into shimming, etc.

I just free float the barrel, glass the action. It never hurts and often helps.

And, I'd look at the barrel thru my Hawkeye borescope. A pretty bore doesn't guarantee accuracy, but when there's a problem, the scope can sometimes help diagnose the problem.

And, of course, trigger and scope. Sometimes it's good to see groups by another shooter, just to eliminate as many variables as possible.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The OP's rifle is a factory rifle that needs tuning.Noting unusual about that.

Have a M70 Classic 7 rem mag here.It's in a Borden RR stock and bedding seems good.No action truing has been done;chamber and barrel are factory spec.Mounts are fie and scope is proven on another rifle.

In several range sessions,and 4-5 different loads with different bullets,it does the same things...two "in",one "out". Or three out of 5 in and two "out",in random order. I couldn't find a load that made me want to bring it out to 300-500 yards to try.If I have to work that hard to get a rifle to shoot it isn't worth the energy.

When rifles do that they are "sick" or in my slang I call them a "POS" because assembly sucks. grin

I won't put any more effort into the thing until it's "fixed". The barrel may be fine but it does not matter if the rifle is not assembled correctly.

So....I'm driving out to the smith today for new barrel, (I have one here just for these reasons), action truing, bedding,square off bolt face, lugs,etc etc. It will shoot when I get it back.I've seen proper assembly fix more erratic rifles than anything else.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bob,

Interesting. Wonder what would happen if you had the factory barrel set back, rechambered following an action blueprinting.

I know, neither would I go to that expense and trouble without replacing the barrel, but was wondering what you thought.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Plastic bread wrapper tab in the recoil lug recess cured the shifting back-and-forth of the receiver in the stock. Another one at the forward action screw raised the barrel enough to free-float.

Removed scope and tightened bases. Each base had one screw that could be tightened a little less than 1/8 turn. Remounted scope and checked ring screws - snug but not tight.

Put real pressure into tightening action screws - so much that crappy plastic trigger guard now has a crack at the screw - going to have to replace that!

5 different brands of ammo to test: Federal blue box 100gr, Fusion 95gr, Win 100gr Power Point, Hornady 100gr Interlock and Fed Premium 95gr Nosler BT.

Off to the range!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Good Luck.

I look forward to your report!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Bob,

Interesting. Wonder what would happen if you had the factory barrel set back, rechambered following an action blueprinting.

I know, neither would I go to that expense and trouble without replacing the barrel, but was wondering what you thought.

DF

DF: I bet that would probably work. But we will never know. smile

Like you said I would not go through all that for the factory tube when I had the Brux bought and paid for sitting here. Might as well use it.

I just got back. The smith will do the action work, bed if needed and install the new barrel. I think it will work out well.

Czech: Good luck! Hope that works for you.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/27/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Here was the initial problem: typically 3 shots close, 2 spreading the group to 1 1/2 inch or more, regardless of choice of factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.