24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid it was a lever action 22. We could not afford a repeater so I was happy to get a lever action Ithaca single shot. It sits here beside me right now, probably 57 years old if my math is right.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
As a kid in the 70's it had to be the Weatherby MkV in that high gloss wood and white spacers

Yeah, I get this one.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Otter6
Any Weatherby. (mid 70s era) I would go crazy until the new catalog / brochure would come out every year. Those were the days. I'd go and get every catalog I could get me hands on. Then go home and stare holes in them. I miss it. The Remington catalog with it's cartridge line up was the stuff dreams were made of. Rifles were show pieces then. HIGH gloss and walnut. Oh my! We killed critters with that crap too. No camo. No CeraKote. No muzzle brakes. Critters must have been different then. The internet is great,but the anticipation of those catalogs was intoxicating.

Well said. 100% my life, too.

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The first rifle I have any independent recollection of having any desire to own was the Ruger No.1 Single Shot. As a little boy, I used to drool over advertisements for them in my father's American Rifleman magazines. I wanted the No.1-B and I wanted it in .30-'06.

I had to wait until I was 22 to fully realize the dream, but it was a "good 'un" from the get-go, shooting down to .770" or so from new and it'll still do it, 28 years later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My young impressionable mind was fascinated by those Weatherby Mark V ads as well.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
When I was in HS in 1964, the new post 64 model 70 came out. I immediately knew I wanted the pre-64, and to my surprise, Kleins Sporting goods in Chicago had a sale on the old models. This was pre 68 GCA so I sent them a $119.00 money order for a featherweight .243. They advised to ask for a second choice so I said featherweight .30-06. Turns out they sent a standard weight '06.

It was too heavy, I needed a ground hog rifle and traded it even for a Sako .243 with Leupold 3X9. I suspect if I had gotten my first choice I would still have it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by MojoHand

So what was high on your wish list as a young hunter and did the dream ever come to fruition or did you move on?

When I was a young hunter in Wisconsin I coveted the local fur buyers Winchester 86 in 40-82 caliber. The tales he told about it made it sound like some sort of magic and made me think of my 30-30 as so inadequate. I never did get a 40-82 but did manage to acquire a Winchester 71 in 348. Eventually I came to realize just how much hype "ole Charlie" had poured into my young mind about the virtues of the 40-82, but I still wish I had one today. laugh

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Left hand Remington 700 KS in 35 Whelen like the one Craig Boddington had. Never did get one but I had an even better version of it built a couple of years ago with a Benchmark barrel, McMillan Edge and a Rem 700 action.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jim Carmichels David Miller 338.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Military Mauser bolt actions. I have several of them. 8x57 and 7x57's.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by moosemike
My young impressionable mind was fascinated by those Weatherby Mark V ads as well.

It was the bank of boulder ads that would send you a weatherby for locking up your money for 20 years... My dad made me do the interest calculation and I never pursued it. If I had the money, I would have bought a new Remington or ruger.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a kid, I wanted a rifle like Chuck Connors used in "The Rifleman".

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I poured over the "Shooter's Bibles" and all of the annual manufacturer catalogs as a kid, read Outdoor Life for JOC articles as soon as we could get them overseas (USPS or at the BX)and I would accompany my dad to the base rod & gun club and range every chance I could.

There were so many choices and I had a flavor of the week, one week it was Sako, Weatherby, Steyr, Pre-64 Winchesters, Colt - Sauer.

I lusted after my dad's Sako Forester Deluxe that he bought at the base rod & gun club in 1970 for $144.00 that included the rings and the "peep" sight. He mounted a 6x Redfield "Widefield" scope on it.
That rifle is in my safe now with a 4X Leupold on it and when I'm gone the next generation will get it.

In 1975 when my dad felt it was time I should have my own rifle he took me down to the local emporium and under his direction I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, Weaver rings and bases along with a 4x Redfield scope. At first I really wanted a 270 as I was a JOC fan and he told me that with a good 30-06 and 4x scope I would be able to hunt anything in North America. I never realized his wisdom till much later in life.

StarchedCover

Last edited by StarchedCover; 04/26/15.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I always wanted a Cooper with nice fancy wood chambered in a varmint cartridge. I still want one to this day.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a JO'C fan I wanted a duplicate of his favorite M70 270 by Alvin Biesen.

But the one that lingers most fervently in my memory was a Sako 222 FS with very light colored wood that was in a local gun store. I can still see it in my mind's eye after nearly 50 years. I do not recall ever even handling it because it was far too expensive for my meager income - but it remains in my memory - while retention of more meaningful information (e.g. people's names and faces) has long since crumbled to dust!

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the early 1960's I was another one of those kids who couldn't stop staring at those Weatherby ads with the rifles that had that high gloss stock finish, the high comb and rakish buttstock profile, the spacers, etc. At that time my young eyes had never seen any rifle that looked like that. It was almost hypnotic; and then to read and re-read the ad text praising all that high velocity, high power stuff made me think that this must be the ultimate rifle on the planet. By the time I was old enough and had the financial means needed for something like that I was too busy getting other guns that I just had to have. In other chamberings that worked just fine for what I needed. Never did get around to that Weatherby but if I wasn't already a .25-06 owner/fan I'd probably be lookin at a 257 Weatherby.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep. weather by Mark V. Couldn't possibly afford one even in my teens ( They were $300 MSRP) so I bought a Parker Hale 1200.....a knock off of the overall design. By the time I reached my 20s, I had wised up and bought proper rifles. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, but I did finally get one a few years ago. I like it a lot, but not the coolest thing in the world.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wanted a 257Roberts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Weatherby 300 Magnum.

Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by tedthorn
As a kid in the 70's it had to be the Weatherby MkV in that high gloss wood and white spacers

Yeah, I get this one.

Mega Dittos

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
270 members (22250rem, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.