Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had planned on being at this event and was saddened when something came up that prevented me from driving down. Looks like I was fortunate but hate it that I wasn't there to help with the aftermath. So happy that nobody was injured.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad everybody is ok and I hope the damage is not too extensive/expensive to put right...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pete, you folks ever have bad winds ot tornados on your side?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What happened to Gene's vehicle?

A fair sized (maybe 8 feet log, 3" diameter at the base) tree limb fell on his hood. The hood is dented but still driveable.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was coming southeast from Sherman that evening, that front was doing 50 as it crossed east, sparked a tornado warning south of Dallas, one of them "brrreeeeepp.....brrreeeeep.....brrreeeep" radio interruptions from the National Weather Service, I caught up to it when I was going eastbound on I 30, found myself white-knuckling it, zero visibility, constant lightning, looked down and for all of that risk we were all only going 40 so I pulled off for a bit to let the front get another 30 miles along past Mt Pleasant where I would turn south fer Gilmer.

That front was running at an angle so that Gilmer was getting hammered as I came south from Mt. Pleasant. I had the phone turned off to save batteries so the first I knew anything serious as up was encountering fallen trees on the narrow road to Ed's place about 100 yards from his front gate. It was all over by that point, the storm and rain had passed.

Walked in with my dog to say hello and see if there was anything I could do, random trees and branches still falling heavily off in the woods, and then slept out the rest of the night in the laid back driver's seat of my car by the roadside, door wide open on account of it was pleasantly cool and the wind had sent all the skeeters into the next county. Slept so well the power company came in way early and cleared those trees as I slept right through it not 100 yards away blush

As I always have been at these things, I was humbled by the caliber of my Campfire friends, both as people and as sportsmen. Ed and Barbara both displayed admirable composure and grace throughout. Seems like in no time the next day the electrician and tree guys were out, the tree guys quickly and efficiently doing their thing.

Very quickly this whole catastrophe became a problem that was in the process of being taken care of and fixed.

I hope I handle it as well if a tree ever lands on my own house, let alone while I got 20+ adults and kids visiting.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ed just back in from the lake for the weekend, if you need anything please let me know.

I'm tied up that I can't get out of Monday, but the rest of the days I think I can make them flexible if need be.

Glad all are ok.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Holy crap! Sorry Ed!!

Sounds like you guys had a interesting get together. I hope all is well with you guys and your insurance company takes care of you guys.

Glad you had some good help around.

Looking forward to hearing how the shoots went.

Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Glad everyone's ok. I'm sure you guys will make the most of it though.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow that sucks so sorry but glad all are well and in true campfire fashion persevering and carrying on

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Terribly sorry to hear of such tragedy, but dang glad to hear all are well.

Seems Ed throws a heck of a shindig!!

Best to all.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Pete, you folks ever have bad winds ot tornados on your side?

We get high winds/storms ect from time to time, but nothing like the frequency you guys get..

Tornado's are virtually unknown, although they do happen, but only once in a blue moon.

Even when we do get high winds, the damage to property is generally minimal because we build mostly with brick/blocks rather than wood as in many places in the US...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wish I was there to help, Ed!!!

Yep, these are all my friends that have attended Greg's, Quemado and Az events. I'm pacing around wanting to be there.

Kent

Yup, same here, .....pacing.

THANKFULLY not worrying as much as overnight, though.

It's fixin' to blow like crazy here (again) from what my weather nose and bones are sayin'.

Definitely some Arctic air masses involved,....there's a cool edge to it.

GTC

We have snow here in the Rincons and up on Mt. Lemmon. It was a good storm that blew through last night.

Interesting to look at snow in late April in So. AZ.

Hope all is well, cross.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ho Li... Wow!

You boys be lucky!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for all of the well wishes and prayers.

I'm going to ask for more as we are expecting another severe T- storm to hit here in about two hours. There is a tornado watch in effect for it as it is passing just south of Ft Worth.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this is it passing over my uncles place SW of Fort Worth Ed. this is what my aunt had to say about it.
"This is at ranch we hauled A to 15 miles west Waco. Still here n Clifton"

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lucky here, bad stuff went north and south of me. Some rain, about it. Heading EAST, don't know where but heading EAST.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular

This one has a tornado on the ground near Rio Vista. I hear thunder so the power should go off any minute. Keep your heads down.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very glad to hear that no one was injured, and property damage only minimal as compared to what it could have been. It should make for some good "campfire" stories in the future. Again, it good to hear that all are safe! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am curious as to how Ed will top this, next year. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad all are safe. Wow. On the up side, no injuries and reckon that crew took it in stride as well as any.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.