OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

Last edited by Labman95; 04/23/15.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yep, that is great news.

And two days after I completed the EIN, AES, ITN trifecta cluster-[bleep]...

But I'm happy the rules have been suspended. For now.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wow! That is great news! For once ( and only once...) the Govt. saw and realized it created such a cluster phouc that even they couldn't figure out how to process it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
While it sounds like great news, I wouldn't be popping the champagne corks too quickly. If you read the full comments by the head of CBP it seems that they have "temporarily" gone back to the old 4457 paper procedure, while they re-tool the AES account procedure in order to get away from the EIN requirement. Maybe they will scrap the whole AES pile of crap completely ... but I wouldn't hold my breath. You can trust these Obongo bureaucrats about as far as you can throw them. It is interesting to note that the head of the CBP claimed today that he wasn't even "aware of the new protocol."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks to everyone involved in this debacle being even temporarily lifted. I have been in the lurch for a month,or so, for an August Safari.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We leave for Nambia in eight days, and had completed all the new forms with the EIN, AES and ITN snarl of red tape.

The Customs office in Green Bay seemed to have their heads on straight about the new rules. The crew in Atlanta for the return trip -- not so much; they supplied three different answers to the same question in five days, admitting in the last one, today, that he should not have said what he did three days ago.

We'll likely take all the paper, while hoping to use only the 4457 forms.

--Bob

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The press release from Senator Hoeven mentioned a statement from Customs. The press release from Customs was posted on 23 April 2015. Here's a link: Temporary Exportation of Firearms

The good news in the statement:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to follow the long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost due to the implementation of a new regulation requiring an electronic filing.

The bad news in the statement:
Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require the traveler to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States.

It appears that the Dept of Homeland Security/CPB does not have the authority to dismantle the new hurdles for "export" set up by two other cabinet-level departments: Dept of State and Dept of Commerce.

I suspect the snarl and tangle will get larger and messier before it gets undone.

--Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.