Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I've experienced two different loads having the same POI at 100 yards while testing. Has anyone carried two different loads in your rifle on the same hunt?

For example, if I were to find an elk up close have a 150TTSX in the tube ready to go - but if I came out of the woodline and found an elk 500 yards out, take the TTSX out and have a 162AMAX next in line.

Wouldn't have to worry about construction, penetration or retention up close, but could easily switch - given plenty of time - to something that slips through the air better and at range don't need to worry about it flying apart, like at close range.

Anyone ever try it? See anything wrong with it other than not paying attention to which one you have in the tube?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can't kill an elk if you don't have lead in the air. Quit screwing with the bullets and shoot the dang thing. There are plenty of bullets that will kill cleanly from 20 yds out to 500.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am a "KISS" fan myself. No need to over complicate things.

I do have several rifles that will put loads for, say, prairie dogs to the identical POI as, say, deer loads and I've brought those out west when prairie dogs & coyotes were on the docket in one place and big game in another.

On the other hand, if hunting big game in an area with many targets of opportunity like varmints I'll shoot all critters w/ big game loads rather than risk becoming confused in the field and/or end up fartin around when I should be shooting.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I'm for "KISS" too.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not the same sit, but I've carried different ammo with same POI on trips. Sometimes I want to hunt the bottoms, sometimes if the weathers bad I'll sit the edge of a pasture up under a pine to stay dry.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it several times, and have gotten away from a two load approach. It is essential that the two loads shoot to the same POI!!!!

I took two loads along one time years ago with plans to switch them to fit close cover or ridge to ridge shooting. I never changed ammo in the rifle. It was a small mental distraction that degraded my efficiency slightly, and not worth any possible advantage -- to me.

In serious grizzly country I have hunted caribou, moose and sheep at the same time when any any could present a short notice shot. (Popped up on a previously unseen ram at 125 yards during a sneak on a caribou.) On one such hunt I kept a 180 grain Swift A-frame first in line in my 30-06, with 165 Hornady Interbonds following. I shot one caribou with a 180 and a 165. After a day or two, I dropped that two bullet approach.

Nowadays I tend to load my preference for the biggest baddest critter present and shoot everything down to mice with it. Shot a dinky fork horn blacktail at 20 feet with 180 Swift A-frame.

Yet I like the 165 bullet for deer in 30-06 so have hunted whitetails in grizz country in recent years loaded only with the 165 Hornady-- and had a grizzly come to where I was gutting a buck and circle around me.

Long personal story to agree that simple one load is preferred for most of us. Your call for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't even like to switch loads from one hunt to the next.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bring two different loads for two reasons. Sometimes I'll use two bullets of the same weight which shoot to the same (generally enough) POI. When moose hunting, I often put two bullets into the same animal just to minimize "Murphy Issues". The second bullet often ends up being a 'test' which has allowed me to see what more bullets do.

The second scenario involves hunting in bear country. I have, at times, carried bear loads which don't need to do anything more than be 'close enough' at 50 yards. I might be shooting 150 or 165 grain bullets - or whatever- sighted dead just where I want them and use them for the hunt. If I happen to need to spend time in the alder tangles, or at night and while in camp, the bear loads go in the rifle. I very rarely carry two different loads for the same quarry otherwise since Murphy knows what an invitation is.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/26/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have carried 130 TTSX in my 308 Win up the mountain while goat hunting, and switch to 180 Partitions for the hike down with meat on my back. But never carried two types of ammo for the same game.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't have to worry about construction, penetration or retention up close, but could easily switch - given plenty of time - to something that slips through the air better and at range don't need to worry about it flying apart, like at close range.

It's silly to worry about it now, and just because 2 loads hit close to each other at 100 yds doesn't mean anything at 500.

What you're setting yourself up for is failure due to overthinking it all

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taco280AI:

I kinda sorta do that, but not really. I shoot a 30-06 and use two loads that produce the same trajectory.

When I'm hunting elk in Colorado or something else in Alaska, I use 180 grain Nosler Partitions with high energy powder (62 grains RL22, 2,820 fps). When I'm hunting deer or pronghorns I use 150 grain Sierra Game Kings (51 grains IMR4320, 2,850 fps). The lighter bullet has less mass so it starts out faster but slows down sooner. The result is a trajectory that has the same POI from 100 yards to 300 yards.

I do most of my practice at 200 yards but also shoot at 100 and 300. The POI is the same at all ranges.

I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory so I've never considered trying to switch loads in the middle of a hunt.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not generally a good idea, IMO.

However, I have carried two different loads (and probably will again) on the same hunt for the same animal -moose.

Junk Load #1 is some 250 gr Sierra GK .338Mag loads just thrown together without workup which proved out at about .5 MOA. By the time I got done messing around, I had 4 rounds left.. Used one since unnecessarily as it turned out at 140 yards. But I did write that load down! I've carried the other 3 several times since in case I get a shot in excess of 300 yards.

Besides that, I'm currently using Junk Load #2, also thrown together without any work-up at all. 250 gr. Hornady RN. MOA, but drops like a rock at range.... I have a life-time supply of those- about 30 rounds left. Wrote that one down too.

The Hornadys are 2 inches high at 100, the Sierras about 5.... smile

Of the 22 moose I've killed, only two have been over 100 yards, the farthest 160.

I got 'er covered!

Last edited by las; 04/30/15.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
I've experienced two different loads having the same POI at 100 yards while testing. Has anyone carried two different loads in your rifle on the same hunt?

For example, if I were to find an elk up close have a 150TTSX in the tube ready to go - but if I came out of the woodline and found an elk 500 yards out, take the TTSX out and have a 162AMAX next in line.

Anyone ever try it? See anything wrong with it other than not paying attention to which one you have in the tube?

That's exactly what I do with all my rifles, and it works wonderfully. I carry with TTSX in the mag, and if a long shot is required where I have plenty of time to get set up, I swap the TTSX out for some A-Max or similar.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Loading different bullets in the magazine is an entirely different matter than switching them when in the presence of game.

For Cape Buffalo in Africa, it is common to load one or two soft points for the first shot(s) and then solids. The theory is that you don't want to exit on the first shot because you might hit another buffalo in the herd. But later shots are usually lengthwise at a buffalo running directly away from you--or directly toward you.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never carried both at the same time.
I did have a 338-06 that shot 200gr Hornady's and 200gr NP'S to the same POI.

Hornady's for deer and NP'S for elk.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I do it but there's no strategic logic to it and I don't pick one for up close and one for "way out there". I use both interchangeably..... sometimes. They do the same things and there isn't any hunting task that I'd try with a BBC that I wouldn't do with the same weight Partition.

Most any of my rifles will shoot to the same POI with Nosler Partitions, or Bitterroots from 100-500 yards.Obviously I've long since confirmed this from years of shooting both.

Present examples are my 270 with 130 NP's and BBC's; 7 Rem Mags with 140 NP's and 140 BBC's. My Mashburn tosses 160 NP's and 160 BBC's the same place to 400 yards from the same sight setting.

Actually that rifle throws the 160 Partition 1/2" higher at 100 yards than the 162 Amax,both started at roughly the same velocity.By the time they get to 300 through 600 yards the higher sight setting of the Partition makes up for the higher BC of the Amax,and I could kill a buck with either one out to 600 yards, where they group together.

On hunts I'll sometimes take 30 Partitions and 10 BBC's. I didn't over think any of this...it just worked out this way.

It's just a question of shooting to confirm all this and you can't stop at 100 yards.Has to be done to longest distance you will shoot to see how your rifle behaves.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I carry two separate loads in gun sometimes. Never more than two. I can't say there are good reasons for it. Just a Looney thing. I've got several loads in 30-06 that impact within 3/4" at 100, and a few that match closely enough to 400, all with bullets 180-185 grains. The only load I shoot beyond 400 is a Berger 185. I don't want to fart around with any unnecessary variables beyond 400.

Usually the idea is that if I end up with a 40 yd shot at an elk, I'll have something more stout than a Berger, such as an Interbond or more recently a Partition, in the chamber. I've seen that this doesn't matter, as I've not seen any problems with Bergers on close stuff, included quartering away. But it doesn't have to make sense. After reading Klik's post about bullet testing, I think that may actually be one of the reasons for the two loads in the gun that I don't consciously think about. I'm always trying to test something to see what it will do, but I also don't want to risk an animal. I've not ever lost anything I hit, and I won't start now.

I edited to add that more often than not, when I'm hunting, deer AND elk are the quarry. Usually hunting for elk, and will take a buck if the elk have left the the county/state/nation/continent, and Muley presents himself in a giftlike fashion.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 05/14/15.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I only have one rifle that I carry 2 loads for.....a ruger stainless 30-06, wearing a leupold FX-3 6X, with the long range duplex reticle. With 165 gr accubonds, I sight in +2.5" @ 100 yds for a 250 yd zero. I happened to run some 220 gr federal hot cores through it, and damn if they weren't dead on at 100 yds. When I'm in open country, the 165's are in it....when still hunting the timber, I feed it the 220's. Oh yeah, both loads group well under an inch. Truly an amazing little rifle, and a whitetail's worse nightmare. Andy 3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
easier for me to just learn the hold over for the heavy bullet at longer range than worry about switching bullets. My load of choice is the same for all ranges.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only season I got tags for cow elk and pronghorn I chose the 160gr Partition for the 7mm RM. I realized that despite not having the same seasons and environment I rather be "overbulleted" for the smaller than having to rely on 2 different bullets, despite similar trajectories.

They partition did a clean double lunger DRT kill at close range for antelope (~80yds). I did not get a chance at elk, but it would have worked just the same probably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
185 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.