Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't understand this 2 bullets on the same hunt thing at all (no offense towards anybody). Fiddle farting around with which bullet I want in the chamber is the last thing I want on my mind when hunting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Don't understand this 2 bullets on the same hunt thing at all (no offense towards anybody). Fiddle farting around with which bullet I want in the chamber is the last thing I want on my mind when hunting.

Bingo.

One load. One drop chart.

I have which load in what pocket??

Oops, just dropped my rounds in a snowbank, hey, there goes the elk over the hill....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I agree. Fiddling with a pair that are really different is not a hot idea. Generally i avoid it.

But three decades of killing stuff with my two has proved.....it really doesn't matter which one ends up in the chamber. Most times I don't even look at which one is going in. Some days I load the magazine with BBC's and others with Partitions. I'm not "messing" around with anything. I know them both stone cold.

I certainly wouldn't do it if there was the slightest difference....but in my rifles, there isn't.If there was i wouldn't do it. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One load for a hunt in my book. If I'm going elk/deer hunting I take the elk load. If you may be taking a longer-dtsance shot, then know your ballistics.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It seems that Liar-lee24 advocate for different calibers on a hunt.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I'm hunting at the Ranch with my Remington Model 700 Classic in .264 Win. mag., I carry two different loads in my pocket, that both just happen to shoot to the exact same point of aim.
One load is the 125 grain Partitions for deer and hogs, and the other load is the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, for Coyotes.

Out of all my various hunting rifles, that particular .264 Win. mag is the only one that will shoot two different loads with two different bullets to the exact same point of aim.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
It seems that Liar-lee24 advocate for different calibers on a hunt.

Thought that was Travis? 22-250 in a 7mm-08?

Heard it's uber!!!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I keep it simple. Sometimes i'll hunt an elk and mule deer in the same season. I just load up an elk load, and if I shoot a muley I knock it for a loop with the elk load.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Allow me to explain.....sitting on clearcuts (first light and last light), with shots out to 500+, I have the 165's in the rifle. Mid-day, still hunting the black timber, I have the 220's in. Where I hunt whitetails, here in Idaho, there is not much "in between" country, and I only swap ammo once I'm set up to glass the clearcuts. Never had the problem of having the wrong ammo in at the wrong time....and like I said, I only do this with the one rifle, because of the POI of the two loads, in relation to each other. I do have other dedicated long range rifles and timber guns, that I use too. The '06 allows me to do the same with one rifle with the 2 loads. Andy 3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You have a plan that works for you.

I use a different plan, but both plans work for us.

Life is good.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have which load in what pocket??

Oops, just dropped my rounds in a snowbank, hey, there goes the elk over the hill....

If that's what you imagine it looks like, then I can see where the 'You're doing it wrong' attitude comes from. I assure you, if it looked like that, I would be doing it wrong. Fortunately, I have several billion brain cells and can operate at a higher functional rate than what you describe. I also understand planning, keeping it simple.

I don't recommend very many of the ways I do things to others. Why would I? I do describe the way I do things and let others decide what will work for them, given what they want to experience. My shared ideas may invite them to something that more closely matches what they want, as others here have done for me in the last 8-9 years.

I advocate as much simplicity as can be discovered for those to whom I give advice regarding guns and hunting. I'll personally never be the guy that shoots one load per rifle, and has a dozen rifles for all his varied pursuits.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.