Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9811700 04/25/15
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Anybody own a Ruger 1 RSI, I was looking at one in 257 rob. and think it would make a great deer gun at shorter range. I am wondering about bedding problems with the full length forearm. Do the rifles change zero with the wood shifting, does the Hicks forearm bedding thing work with the long forearm. I am not expecting one hole groups, but want a consistent rifle that will not change zero. Thanks...

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had 1 in 270. Took a bit of work to get it to group.
Had to open up the barrel channel,and work on the forearm cap.
It then shot honest 1 1\4 with 130 grain bullets and IMR 4350.
The problem then was the groups wandered horizontally.
Got a chance to swap it off so it went down the road.

Hang on tight !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 7mm Mauser. Love the way it looks and handles. It is a 1.5 MOA gun with factory Federal 140 Partitions and that's plenty good. I'm sure handloads would do better but I haven't gotten around to loading for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BUY IT!

then report back to us!

With Ruger's new 1-caliber per year thru Lipsey's only (http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&family=No.+1+Series&type=Rifle ), you can't just order up a .257 Roberts!

Although I have noticed you can't just order up .257 Roberts ammo or Brass either!!! the 2+ year ammo panic and the resulting production distortions are still not over.

I have not yet shot an RSI and don't think I will be able to afford this year's 6.5x55 RSI...

shoot good!

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 04/25/15.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the .257, it's a solid 1.25 MOA gun out of the box and doesn't shift POI. Mine launches the 110 accubond at 2900 and the 100 gr. Hornady at 3050 into those groups. I'm very happy with it, but I can't say the same for the 8 pt. I shot opening morning last year. I'd think seriously about buying it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Bill,BUDS GUNS on the internet is showing they have Ruger RSI in 257 Rob. so I think I can just order one up. How about using the Hicks thing with the long forearm, if I understand it right it turns your bad vibs to good vibs in the barrel bedding. I am just wondering because this would be my second go with the #1 and first time did not go so well. thanks...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one in .30.06. Shoots about 1.5". Never have fussed with it.

There was a NIB .257 at a gunshow this weekend. They were asking $1250 for it. Plain wood.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Driftless, the Hicks is one of several tricks to try and IMHO the last one as it is the most expensive. First, just shoot the rifle, it may be fine. Then start by making sure the wood isn't bearing on the receiver & all the friend tricks.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I e had a couple but the lack of an action as long as a bolt guns and the very short barrel makes it look like a cypress stump.
River should have run them with a 20".
Still would be short.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am probably just repeating points already noted by others, but:
All 257 Roberts in the RSI that I have seen or had- have plain wood. Practically all No.1's Ruger made last year were quite plain. Have been promised better wood on this years production.
To me, the Hicks is a last resort! As noted above, shoot it first and try several brands of ammo and bullet weights.
If you are not finding a 257 RSI, drop me a PM, as I still have several.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; some really like the RSI and some don't. It was supposed to be short! I have some uses where I really like my 30/06 and it shoots fine. Prefers the cheap "Blue Box" Federal in 150 grain.
http://www.classicsportingarms.com/

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, I plan on shooting it first, I never do anything to a rifle unless it makes me for one reason or another. My first #1 would group long stringing groups, that I bet was some kind of bedding problem. That one went away, I swore of the #1 as two piece stock pain in the ass, but man their cool. The more I read about them it sounds like, the problems can come the forearm, and there are things you can do about it which I did not know about before.Peace....

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I owned and loved a Number One RSI in 7X57 for many years. I loved the short little rifle and it was pure death on mulies and elk.

Late one fall, I discovered a slight disadvantage to the shortness. All of our paid hunters got their elk and they'd left by way of the jet boat down the Snake.

Hell's Canyon was so glorious then; nimrods gone, elk everywhere and it was time for us camp help, guides and wranglers, to kill our elk.

At daybreak, Karen and I were sitting behind a log that was on top of a pass that the elk used a lot; between Temperance Creek and Yreka Creek, if you know where that is.

Anyway, I layed my new Eddie Bauer down vest on top of the log and my pretty little Number one atop that. After a bit, a really decent little 6X6 bull came along, stood in the trail about 100-yards out, and he was begging to be killed.

So, I put the crosshairs under his ear and pulled the trigger.

AND THE FIELD OF THE SCOPE TURNED WHITE.

I heard Karen say, "What the Hell???"

Apparently, I put a Hornady 139-grain Interlocked Spire Point through several inches of my brand new down vest and there were feathers everywhere ... all over us, all over the log and downrange, too.

The bull elk??? Deader than a mackerel. Apparently, several inches of down vest immediately in front of the muzzle didn't deflect the bullet in the slightest.

The Eddie Bauer down vest? Total loss.

I'll make that trade any time. A nice, handy rifle and a sincerely dead bull elk for a silly Eddie Bauer down vest ... great trade.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really like my #1 RSI in 7x57, too... but don't ya just HATE havin' things like that happen ?!?!? frown mad blush

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, it's hard on down vests and harder on elk grin

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You shot something with a cartridge that wasn't AI'd???????

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The Eddie Bauer down vest? Total loss.

Reminds me of a childhood experience - guys at deer camp were at the dump behind camp, throwing up bottles and whatnot, shooting at them with one of the members newly purchased 45 pistol... much ammo had been spent with not much hit, when one of the guys said "Ya'll are such sorry shots, I'll let you shoot at my new hat!" which was a EB goose-down "Elmer Fudd" hat as I called it. He sailed it up, they shot and missed. One guy says "I bet you won't let me shoot at it with my muzzle loader", to which hat guy replies "Go get it!"

Muzzle loader guy goes to his pickup to retrieve it, and when he comes back, hat flies, BOOM, and it's snowing goose down...
Seems he'd dumped about 2 ounces of #8 shot down on top of a healthy dose of black powder and wadding in his .58 laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late to the party here, but I have a rain gutter with a few .22 holes in it for extra drainage..... blush

Squirrels on the bird feeder being sniped from the attic will sometimes do that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I bought a RSI in 7x57 in Feb and really haven’t had the chance to shoot it much at all. Mounting a scope right now and having a problem with getting the reticule vertical. Get it lined up, tighten the screws in the recommended manner and it never fails to turn, just a little. Ruger offset rings. I’m putting a 2x7 on it, bigger than I wanted but my eyes aren’t as great as they used to be so at least for sighting it in this was the way I was going to go, but maybe it’s just rejecting that scope and wants the 1.5x5 instead. grin

Once I get past that hurdle I want to see how it shoots some factory stuff and then go from there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want a consistent tack-driver, get a bolt-action.....not a Ruger RSI #1.

Those Mannlicher stocks are pretty.....but the design is problematic. With all that wood out there.....consistency over the long haul is unlikely.

For your intended purpose, you don't really need to drive tacks, so if you like the look of it......get it.

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/19/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=dogzapper]
Yep, it's hard on down vests and harder on elk :grin

Steve,

You reported the bad news and it was quite a story.

The good news is that you were not wearing the vest when it got blown up!!

Always good to hear from you.

(another)Steve

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
I e had a couple but the lack of an action as long as a bolt guns and the very short barrel makes it look like a cypress stump.
Still would be short.

This ^^^^^^^. Just another head scratcher from Ruger. I like their products but sometimes you just feel like why? I'm still wondering why a 218 bee in a 1S my favorite configuration by the way but they never made it in a 30-06. I thought everything came in 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bangeye
Originally Posted by ringworm
Still would be short.

The No.1 RSI does have a 20" barrel. It's the 77RSI that had a [u]short/u] barrel.

This ^^^^^^^. Just another head scratcher from Ruger. I like their products but sometimes you just feel like why? I'm still wondering why a 218 bee in a 1S my favorite configuration by the way but they never made it in a 30-06. I thought everything came in 30-06

No mystery why the 1S 218 Bee is your favorite. It would be hard to find a classier, more fun rifle; that's why!
I think your wish for a 30-06 has been answered for 2015, sort of. I seem to recall that they're making the 1A in 30-06, but with a 24" barrel, so maybe half-way there ;-)

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 06/01/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a fairly new RSI in 7mm Mauser. It shoots just fine and I haven't checked the throat, but the longer the bullet the tighter the groups. It shoots an inch with 175's. Anything less is about 1.5 inches. Plenty good without a lot of work and fuss.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
gewehrfreund, I did not phrase that too well, I like the1S and the218 bee but a Bee that hefty is a complete fubar to me. Maybe a 1A or 1AH but not a 1S . Likewise I would loved t have a 1S in a std chambering.

Between auto spell on my iPad and the constant refreshing on this site it's hard o post a legible message. I use to think Kawi was doing that on purpose.

Last edited by bangeye; 06/02/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bangeye
gewehrfreund, I did not phrase that too well, I like the1S and the218 bee but a Bee that hefty is a complete fubar to me. Maybe a 1A or 1AH but not a 1S . Likewise I would loved t have a 1S in a std chambering.

Between auto spell on my iPad and the constant refreshing on this site it's hard o post a legible message. I use to think Kawi was doing that on purpose.

You're not alone in those sentiments (about the 1S and 218 Bee), but it pretty much defines my definition of a perfect rifle that's not only well made and attractive, but all sorts of fun too.
Too heavy? Maybe for carrying all day up and down hills, but at the bench or sitting on the edge of a hay field, that's not an issue. And my two are all kinds if accurate (and it's fun and easy (and cheap) to reload for )

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just another head scratcher from Ruger. I like their products but sometimes you just feel like why? I'm still wondering why a 218 bee in a 1S my favorite configuration by the way but they never made it in a 30-06. I thought everything came in 30-06

Never say Never !

I too was enamored with the style of the 1S Number 1 as soon as they were introduced.
But like the proverbial "Tits on a Boar Hog", I could see no use for the Sights on so sleek a Rifle .
I ordered mine w/out the sights in Cal' 30-06 .
This was back when there were no Prefixes on them.

Rich

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by driftless
Anybody own a Ruger 1 RSI,

1984 in .243 Winchester:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoots 1"-1.5" groups at 100 yards with Federal low price ammo.

I had thought I would get a No. 1 RSI in .257 Roberts if they ever came out, but when they did come out the wood was mediocre and I passed.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 06/09/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Delicious, Bushy!

Got mine a few weeks ago. Been wanting one for a long time. Took the Leupy off and put a Skinner peep on it. Works been so busy have t had time to sight her in yet (got a bunch of 175 RN loaded up, tho!) Ain't even going to try for 'groups'. After all, it's a single shot and I'm gonna shoot once at an animal. Who gives a rats ass if it 'walks' as the barrel heats up! grin

Now my only dilemma is which do I take this year? 1S in 9.3x62 or the RSI 757...

1999 757

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.