Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Got to thinking about the reliability of todays Variable Scopes to hold Zero.
I have never had an issue when Using A Leupold variable shifting Zero .

I realize that the Leupold Variable scopes have more moving parts than the Leupold fixed Powers but how important is that ?

Do Leupold Variable scopes often lose Zero ?

I would like to hear from those who use them about their experiences of lost zero or other failures and asking from the other side of the coin have you ever had a Leupold fixed power scope lose zero or malfunction?

I have used the Fixed powers before and like them,4x,6x (currently have a M8 4x Long tube on an 8mm Mauser sporter.

But I like the upper end of the 3-9x40 for use in the field where I hunt most of the time.

And on those rare occasions when I slip off in the thick woods I like the 3x.

But could make do with the 6x36 for both uses.

I put a VX1 3-9x40 on a Tikka Superlight 270 Win I recently bought BUT Now wondering if I should have just stuck a 6x36 on it.
I like the 9x better in the fields but I dont want to be using a scope(Variable)if it is prone to lose zero !

So lets hear the Good the Bad and the Ugly about the Leupold Variables.

Dont really care about preferences as we all have our preferences but just about Mechanical failures or success as it were.

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can there be a better testing platform than a Freedom Arms .454. On the way to getting a scope that could handle I broke about a dozen. The one that has taken the abuse of a couple thousand full house rounds is a Leupold Vari-X 2 /2-8X32. Even when I fell one time and the first thing to hit the rocks was the rings (it is secured by four T'SOB rings) it still held its zero. In fact the last time I check it I checked it at 200 yards with a full five loads. The group was 5".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not exactly big recoil, but I have a few 308's that get shot a lot. I buy Nosler and Hornady match bullets by the thousand several times a year, and 8 lb. jugs of "4895" speed powders too. Two newer variable Leupolds get a lot of that use, both 6.5-20x40LR 30mm tube models, one VX-III and one VX-3. Never a hiccup.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the general consensus of this board would be if it's a zero it and forget scope a Leupold would be just fine. If you are into turret turning more than a little, there are other options that are better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light Weight 30-06 I bought here
from Wes 7x57 has Busted these scopes in this order.
All Leupolds
Vari X III 1.75-6x32 HD
VX III 1.75-6x32 HD
FX 3 6x42 HD
FX 3 6x42 LRD
All were sent back to Leupold and returned to as new condition
Sold all of them here.
I love Leupold`s more than ANY other scope maker but
for me I am trying other makes for now.
May try a Leupold Redfield Revolution next on this 30-06 and see how it does.
AMRA

Last edited by AMRA; 04/24/15.

Molan Labe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had 2 Leupold variables fail. A VX-III 1.5-5 that I bought on ebay that was beat to hell. I put it on my 375H&H and about the third shot it went TU. Sent it to Leupold explaining I had bought it used and they sent me a brand new scope. The other was a VX-II Compact on Mrs Blacktailer's 308 Kimber. It started wondering zero so sent it in and it was fixed good as new N/C. I have a few other Leupold variables and they are all on hunting rifles so unless there is load development to be done, they only get shot about 5-10 rounds a year.
Some folks on AR claim Nikons are more robust.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a little story from the range yesterday.

Went out with a few rifles. Rifle #1 was a Ruger .243 that usually shoots 3/4" 3-shot groups. I put a new VX-2 3-9X40 CDS on it. Couldn't get the darn thing zeroed. It was shooting 3" groups strung horizontally. Hmmm. I'll clean the rifle, check the screws, and try on another day. But.....

Rifle #2 was a Savage .270 with a Leupold 6X36. I don't remember the last time I touched the adjustments on that scope. Maybe in the spring of 2011??? I fired one shot and put it back in the case. My black bear rifle was ready to go for the spring.

Stuff like that makes me thing BobinNH and Mule Deer may be on to something when they keep harping about the reliability of fixed power scopes.

Also, I'm starting to think the statements I read on here about Leupold QC may be more than just internet blabbering...

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can only reiterate my two recent brand new Leupold scope purchases and both broke right out of the gate. One was a fixed power 4x (reticle broke) and the other was a VX2 4-12 x 40 who's erector was all out of whack and had to be sent back twice to correct the problem. Small sample you say....? Well yes, but a poor one for quality as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I can only reiterate my two recent brand new Leupold scope purchases and both broke right out of the gate.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have 2 leupold variables. Vari x IIs 6x18, with target turrets. The glass is very good, but both have been back to get new erectors twice. They were good for a while, but then gradually shifted from zero, and would not return to zero after dialing. I also had a point of impact difference of 2" between 6x and 18x at 200yds with one scope. And no it wasn't parallax. Leupold fixed that too. I replaced one scope with a SWFA 3X15. It has been rock solid. The leupolds were on a custom 243, and one is still on a Savage 30-06. As stated, the glass was fine, but I could not depend on them.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like my Leupold scopes, but I have no more (or less) faith in their infallibility than many other makes, regardless of where they're made. I like to buy American, but I like to get what I pay for, as well. Most recent issue was a 3-9 vx2 that went to wandering all over on a 6.8 AR. Doesn't mean I won't take another. Doesn't mean I'll swear off variables or Leupold. Doesn't mean I 100% trust them, or anything else these days. 😜

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've put Leupie 2.5, 3, 4, and 6 powers through their paces on a bunch of different rifles.

I do not twist turrets. Set it and forget it only.

I've never had one break in any way.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by atse
I have 2 leupold variables. Vari x IIs 6x18, with target turrets. The glass is very good, but both have been back to get new erectors twice. They were good for a while, but then gradually shifted from zero, and would not return to zero after dialing. I also had a point of impact difference of 2" between 6x and 18x at 200yds with one scope. And no it wasn't parallax. Leupold fixed that too. I replaced one scope with a SWFA 3X15. It has been rock solid. The leupolds were on a custom 243, and one is still on a Savage 30-06. As stated, the glass was fine, but I could not depend on them.

I was warned off the 1" tube 6-18 Leupold by someone who shoots more than a little.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think he was right. I will replace my 2nd one soon, likely with another SWFA. They have all brass internals, and so far (9 months) I have had no problems at all. The leupolds are lighter, but I want/need dependability.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm cranking on a SS 6x42MQ these days. Rock solid so far.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The most goof proof scopes I have used over the years have been 4X Leupolds....but these date back to days when Leupolds were considered very tough and reliable scopes. But despite pretty good eyes for my age,I no longer see as well through a Leupold fixed 4X as I once did at distances past 300 yards, and on deer sized game.

I guess my default choice has become a 6x36. I have had one on my Mashburn for 4-5 years now....the thing is so boring and consistent I need to build another Mashburn just for something to do. smile

I don't know how many barrels I have torched under a 4X leupold but we are talking several thousands of rounds in different calibers. I broke one...it had app. 3000 rounds of 300 and 338 Win Mag under it,and finally quit on a wildcat equivalent of a 358 STA. It had been on many hunts. The ocular came loose and rattled like a piano key. I could still hit a small bucket with it at 300 yards.

Only one variable,a 2.5-8X,has made the trip from new barrel to burnt out... on a 7 Rem Mag.This was awhile ago.

Currently a VX3 2.5-8 has performed well on a 270 the past 5 years. I have not touched the adjustments and have killed 4-5 bucks with it.But in truth it does not get shot much except to hunt.

I am still in search of the perfect variable. The closest I have owned was a Schmidt Bender Summit,but I am not a turret twister.

Are Leupold variables reliable today? I don't know anymore. I think it depends on how much you shoot.I have broken more than my share.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi bcraig,
while I have used and recommend many 6x's and can attest to their ruggedness my last buy was a vx3 that has been hard used and remains spot on. It is on a lightweight 260 in S and K rings.

Three points you may consider:
1. No one mentioned the improved erector springs of the VX3 and up. I am not sure if lesser models carry this recent feature. Verbiage from Leupold - "The twin bias spring exerts up to 30 percent more holding force on the erector, virtually eliminating erector system backlash and stress on the vital internal workings of the scope. This means your VX-3 will be with you for hunt, after hunt, after hunt."

So comparing reliability against other or older models is not apples to apples as I see it. This should inspire confidence.

2. Nor have I heard reference to proper mounting. Stuff you know but.. few would ever admit to improperly mounting a scope or contributing to a failure. If things are loose, scopes get jarred. If the rings are over- tightened it can be hard on the scope and as much bearing surface as possible is a good recipe. I have seen a LOT of loose mounts in my time. I like to coat most rings in silicon. Along those lines have also used the Burris inserts. I wonder how many using those inserts, properly tightened, have failed? Not saying never but.... know what I mean?

3. I discovered I MUCH preferred the variable set BELOW 6x when taking to field. Field of view seems an undersold spec. I get comfort and faster target acquisition. I bought the scope thinking the benefit would come above 6x and was thankful to have it on my last and longest shot ever, but it is easier to crank up when needed as opposed to more frantic cranking down when something pops up close.

An FX would be a great scope, would love to try one but so is a VX3. I compared it to my older M8 6x42 and the VX3 was definitely brighter and truer- so that is some indication of how far they have come.

Just food for thought.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
it's not today's leupold but I do have several no troubles.
In early 1980 I bought a 3-9x40 varix 11c. And in 2004 it ended up on a 12 gauge ultra slug that must weigh 11 pounds. Opening morning that year as I left the house it slide off my shoulder and the gun landed scope first on the blacktop, and left a nice ding. I carried my bow to the stand that morning, at lunch time I fired the ultra slug with the banged up Leupold and it remains dead on to this day. I tried a pair of bushnell shotgun scopes just a year earlier and had one off from a minor bang in a case. But I do believe that could have been the cheap mount and rings I put on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the new VX6 in 1-6x24 I bought last year seems OK, I don't twist turrets a lot, glass is good, reticle is black, a bit tuff to turn the power dial, less distortion at 1X than an old NF NXS 1-4 had, illumination is really good but I wish it were a dial instead of a scroll button, mechanically don't know as its been on a 5.56 gas gun, there it has remained zeroed for 5 months.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
On an ironic note, I shot my 30-06 with one of the afore mentioned vxII 6x18s today. I shot it not long ago and it had been fine. Today very eratic with no rhyme or reason to it. About 5" groups at 200yds. I suspected the scope, as conditions were good. Went and switched to the other exact same scope that I had just got back from leupold this winter. Still in the box after testing it on the rifle to make sure it was fixed. Shot 4 shot 2"group at 200yds. gun is dirty and usually does a little better, but the first scope definitely went belly up, and it did it in a hurry. It will be the 3rd time this one has been back to Leupold.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.