Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MckinneyMike
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
people on bikes simply don't make any effort to insure their own well being.
This is true of most drivers regardless of mode. As vehicles go, two wheels are far less forgiving than four.

and therein lies the crux of the issue.

Sam......

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been riding for the past 40 + years, and still do. A friend wanted to start riding a few years back, told him that the only way to stay alive is to treat half the people on the road as if you are invisible to them, and the other half as if they intentionally want to kill you. I used to blame car/truck drivers for most of the problem, but over the years I have seen way to many people on bikes that create their own problems.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
I'm not wanting to be an "oh sh*t", I just didn't see him casualty.

I was literally within an inch of one of those. Rode the bike home and never rode it again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold my bike in 1986, because there was something wrong with the throttle. I was only able to run it either closed, or wide open.

Had a lot of fun, drove a lot of miles, but it was obvious it was going to be the end of me, sooner or later.

The driving habits of looking out for everything have stayed with me and served me well.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM
This AM we were out doing a trash pick-up along the FM road we live off of and at least 50 Harley's went by led with two police bikes with lights on and the last being two more with an ambulance in front of them. All lights on. Firm faces on all, no waves, nothing.

Ed, What was that all about? Funeral?

That's what we were thinking.

Yep. That's what I figured, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A good defensive motorcycle course should be at the top of any rider's list. Idaho has the STARS program. Insurance data indicates a 70% decrease in accidents for those who have gone through the program.(Pretty sure I got that number correct)

Much can be avoided with heads up riding and identifying dangers as they develop.
Leave room.
Always have an escape route.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by maggie
Been riding for the past 40 + years, and still do. A friend wanted to start riding a few years back, told him that the only way to stay alive is to treat half the people on the road as if you are invisible to them, and the other half as if they intentionally want to kill you. I used to blame car/truck drivers for most of the problem, but over the years I have seen way to many people on bikes that create their own problems.

I hear ya, maggie. I've been riding for 45+ years now and that's exactly how I view things, too. I EXPECT other drivers (and riders) to [bleep] up, so I stay as far away from all of them as possible. I also putt around most of the time, unless I'm out on 27 or some other deserted highway where I can juice it a little and then go back to just cruisin.

Had one dumbazz rider damn near take off a chunk of my driver's side front bumper a couple years back coming back from the Keys. He was desperately trying to stay with the "pack", which had already gone around me. I could tell he was an inexperienced rider, watching in my rear view and driver's side mirror how he was riding my rear bumper and came out to pass. Really, really dumbazz move and he could have easily been road grime if I didn't see it coming.
GF was almost crying and begged me to pull over for a few minutes so they could "get the hell away from us".

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by bea175
motorcycle accidents and deaths just go together

This.
A year ago one of our kids got married, in a bike wreck, died, and his wife had their first child, within 2 months. The last thing my wife told him in person was "You're a husband and soon to be a father, stay off that bike." Three weeks later he was dead. He had so much to live for.

If I were a rider I'd have all the life insurance I could afford and all my funeral plans in place.

My sincere condolences to you, I know that pain all too well, there is nothing worse.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maggie

That's pretty much what I was told when I was young. "They either don't see you or they're actively hostile." Those words of wisdom kept me alive long enough to get bike riding out of my system.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
They are all in love with dyin',
Drinkin' water from a fountain,
That's pourin' like an avalanche,
Comin' down the mountain.

A Butthole Surfers quote?!? Damn, I'm impressed, Dan'l-san!

wink

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

While we need to 'watch out for motorcycles', they damn sure need to watch their own behavior.

Bingo.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I live about 30 minutes from the dragon her ei eat TN.... 311 curves in 11 miles.... they are scraping riders off of there all the time... had several friends lay it down on there.... on of them came around a corner and hit a small sqaure piece of plastic someone dropped.... His front tire went out from under him and he and the bike went about 100 feet down over the edge...

THings can happen so fast... I do not ride the dragon much since it has become so popular.... One thing for sure... Bike riders better be paying a lot more attention than other drivers..... That is one reason I like my Pipe annoyingly loud... smile

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Saw a nasty one today, driving up the Florida Turnpike. Three Harley bikes, one with a passenger. That Harley ran up behind a slower car, and evidently hit the rear of it. The crash killed the driver of the bike and the passenger. Sent the occupants of the car off in a helicopter to the hospital.
We sat dead still on the Turn Pike for 2.5 hours, before the wreckers and FHP cleared the lanes. What a mess.
Just another example of a biker not paying attention.. Just too bad his passenger had to pay too..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,748
Posts18,457,795
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.