Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Been working up loads for my 25-06 ackley and it's really diggin 115 grain ballistic tips. I've heard reports that they are fairly stout so was just curious if anyone has used one on an elk and if you'd do it again?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never put one in an elk, but last season I put one through the shoulders of a 175 pound whitetail buck at 30 yards....point of near shoulder, out the scapula of the off side from my .25-06 @ 3100fps.

I would say they would kill an elk, and based on what I have seen as far as penetration, if you put them in the vitals, stuff will die.

Luck to you this fall

Burt2506

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I hope some one here jumps up and provides one of those cut in half bullet photos of the 115 gr 25 cal BT. I have used 115gr nosler partitions in my 25-06 successfully for moose and elk, but have been a bit gunshy with the BTs.
In my 7WSM 140 BTs are too frangible for my liking, but I have found the 120 BTs are a much tougher bullet...thicker jacket than the 140 in comparison to their length. I am not sure if the 25 cal has the thinner jacket. If the jacket is as thick as the 120 gr 7mm BTs, I would give them a try.

Scott

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use this bullet in my 257 Wby and 257 STW, it shoots like a laser and kills anything it hits. I would not have any problems using it on a elk even out of a 25-06.

L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I've only ever killed one antelope with them out of a 257 weatherby at around 400 yards so wasn't much of a bullet test

Last edited by laker; 04/25/15.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two elk with a .257 Roberts, and honestly can't say I would repeat the process on heavy pressured public land.

Racers say there is no replacement for displacement.

Saying that, everyone does have to try things for themselves.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
L
laker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Two elk with a .257 Roberts, and honestly can't say I would repeat the process on heavy pressured public land.

What was it about them you didn't like?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good question. I don't know. Have taken several mule deer and a couple of pronghorn with the 115 Ballistic Tips, with great results. Excellent bullet for that purpose. Accurate, lethal, good combo of penetration & expansion.

Elk? Huh. I dunno. Think I'd be happier with Nosler Partitions in the magazine.

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Initially I didn't want to reply because I knew I'd get jumped by folks. This isn't mule deer or proghorn...you are talking about a much bigger and much tougher animal. Yes, I know everyone realizes this. I personally think an elk deserves a tougher bullet than what has been proposed...for two reasons. 1) there are much better choices and 2) prepare for the worst...not every shot ends up being a perfect broadside shot.

Referencing the 7mm 120 grain BT: I've heard many times, and seen in print, that this bullet was intentionally made tough from the get go. Think it was something to do with it being intended for long range pistol rounds but can't be sure.

I wish you luck with your choice!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would hunt Elk with your load and setup and be happy , but if given the choice i would use either the 100 gr Barnes TSX or Nosler 115 gr Partition if using the 25-06

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Why not a 110AB instead? Tougher, still slips through the air well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by laker

What was it about them you didn't like?

Had a rag horn just stand there till he decided to get wobbely. Good close punch just above the heart, he took his time to his knees.

Had a cow take off in a short burst and then just keep walking. Lost her trail like she ran out of blood, and she laid down 60 yards past the last drop.
She went a long ways with both lungs defeated.

Neither were BTs,however I believe there a good choice, just sharing as it seems elk take a good thump to make a believers out of them.

Last thing I want is a dead elk walking on public land.
Leaving the quarter bores and 100grs lower on my list.

Most have to try things on things for themselves. High pressure areas are more of a concern.

Last edited by K_Salonek; 04/26/15.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"What is our best advice? Choose the most powerful gun you can properly handle and practice with... (and choose premium bullets). M. L. McPherson- Metallic Cartridge Reloading.

Last edited by LostHighway; 04/26/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Will it work? Yes. Would I use it? No. There are better bullets for elk. Barnes, Nosler Partitions and Accubonds etc.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In a word........No

Sure you can rationalize how it will work well in within set parameters, but I don't know how anyone could sleep at night going after an elk with that bullet. If you can, power to you, but do it long enough, and you will regret it. JMO

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by txhunter58
In a word........No

Sure you can rationalize how it will work well in within set parameters, but I don't know how anyone could sleep at night going after an elk with that bullet. If you can, power to you, but do it long enough, and you will regret it. JMO

The old timers must have been dang near insomniacs shooting piles of elk with 87gr bullets in their 250-3000's!!!!

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I havn't shot enough elk in my entire life to have been enlightend as to why some tip over while others would rather walk off.

I like partitions and tsx out of the Roberts. In the .25-06 I've used the same but also am quite fond of the Hornady 120gr HP. It's way tougher than most would believe, expands in a relatively controlled fashion, and penetrates deep.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigNate
also am quite fond of the Hornady 120gr HP. It's way tougher than most would believe, expands in a relatively controlled fashion, and penetrates deep.

I'm fond of it too. Just wish our friends at Hornady would decide to make a few once in a while.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I check the shelf for these all the time and haven't picked any up in over a year. I'm mostly loading partitions now.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by BigNate
also am quite fond of the Hornady 120gr HP. It's way tougher than most would believe, expands in a relatively controlled fashion, and penetrates deep.

I'm fond of it too. Just wish our friends at Hornady would decide to make a few once in a while.

That bullet was designed specifically for elk.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.