Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes the stars align just right and things go exceptionally well. My oldest son brought his fiancé up here to Montana for the weekend. She had never been here before and wanted to see why we love it her so much. It didn't take too long for her to figure it out, and she wants to move here as soon as they graduate. Can't say I blame her.

Anyway, yesterday I took my son the Missouri River system and let him give those finicky rainbow trout a whirl. He got into fly fishing a year ago and has the fly fishing fever bad. He did really well and totally kicked my butt. For that matter he kicked just about everyone' butt on the MO yesterday. He had other fly fishermen coming up to him and asking: "What the heck are you using and what are you doing different?" For whatever reason he had the trout dialed in yesterday. Here he is with the largest fish of the day. Maybe not a MONSTER, but a darn solid rainbow trout in my opinion. I lost count of how many fish he caught, but I can tell you the smallest one was 17" long.
[Linked Image]

This morning we decided to fish closer to home. Yesterday my son's fiancé spent the day with my daughters while we fished the MO, but today she wanted to come along. I have a super top secret place I basically only take family or a very close friend. If word got out it would be destroyed in no time. The fishing isn't good in terms of numbers, but the odds of catching a really nice fish is pretty good. However, the fish are super spooking and it can be a real challenge to get anything to bite. We only landed two brown trout, but if you are going to only catch "two" I'd say these are the right two!

Here is my future daughter in law with her first Montana brown trout. It might take her a while to beat this one.
[Linked Image]

Here is the happy couple with her purty fishy.
[Linked Image]

Not to be outdone, but son came right back just a few minutes later and landed this beautiful big brown. It's girth was 13.5" around. He made the comment: "Heck, the girth on that fish is the average size of the length of the fish I catch in Utah." That made us both smile. It has been a great weekend. We are now going to all kick back, relax, and fire up the BBQ for the evening. Family, fishing, and BBQ, for me anyway, life doesn't get much better!
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bravo! Great pics and better story.

I've never caught a brown trout of any size, he thought enviously as he made this post. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
wow

look at the smiles on their faces! more couples should fish together

throwing streamers, nymphs?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trophies, all. Fabulous job, both of you!

Somewhere in my Big Mo photo file, I'm pretty sure I have a shot with those same trees in the background. I ain't tellin' either.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rinks, nymphs.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful trout and country

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sweet!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does't get much better than that,(short of slappin one of those slobs over some coals)
congrats on the future addition,all the better she likes to fish.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I can't express how much I enjoy seeing folks enjoy the outdoors, and understand the feeling I get when I am able to do the same.

Here's hoping that the young people have many happy years of fishing and hunting together.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.