Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by roundoak
In Texas it is estimated that 3.5 million feral swine do $60 million in crop damage each year.

Yet, people charge you if you want to come shoot some. Isn't that like me charging the Orkin man to come kills bugs under my house?

Pretty much true. Same light as deer in some areas around here. Property owners b&tch like heck about them eating their little 2 acre lots up and that they stand in the road, but let you shoot them, NOPE.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cv540
Hunted this area for years. Once in my teens I was squirrel hunting with a Ruger 10-22 on a large dormant farm. Heard something really noisy coming through the woods across a draw from me, and saw a couple large swine with about a dozen little ones. Never knew if they were feral or just escaped from a neighbors pen. I did know enough to just sit still and let them feed through.. rather than see whether the 40 grain .22 was a match for mama pig.

The .22 LR is likely to over penetrate. Shorts are skookum.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cv540
Hunted this area for years. Once in my teens I was squirrel hunting with a Ruger 10-22 on a large dormant farm. Heard something really noisy coming through the woods across a draw from me, and saw a couple large swine with about a dozen little ones. Never knew if they were feral or just escaped from a neighbors pen. I did know enough to just sit still and let them feed through.. rather than see whether the 40 grain .22 was a match for mama pig.

LOL. So many folks think a 22 won't do it... close enough and lungs or brain and they are just flat dead unless huge. Huge, close enough and ear does it every time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ihookem
Now, I might be wrong and the southern boys here will say I'm full of BS. I doubt Wisconsin would ever have a hog problem. The reason is cause the winters are very harsh, there isn't much to eat in the winter for them. In summer there is plenty of food but not for 3 months , the ground is frozen down for 3'. Also, in fall there is 300,000 bow hunters in this state and 600,000 gun deer hunters wishing there was a deer to shoot. If a hog comes by they would be shot on the spot. Coyote and bear hunters would be more than willing to track these hogs through the snow and kill them. Any hunter could track these pigs , or bait them in. Also, they can't reproduce nearly as fast as down south.. . And if we were down to 10 hogs with no help from the government, I think they made my point. I have also looked into " hog hunt" down south. Everyone wants me to pay them for a lease, or pay for a hunt of some sort . The excuse seemed to be,, ,,, ,, wweeelllll, hunters on my land is a liability. Ya, right.. Several of us on another sight replied, with some very negative posts to the land owners that were complaining , but then making excuses when several on the board offered to shoot some.

I agree with you to a point on paying for hog hunts BUT if you are a land owner you'd understand the liability part big time and you can use the money from the damage they cause, to help fix the damage....

But then some folks don't understand liability...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I wish they'd gain a little traction around here, would give me one more thing to hunt. We have them here, but they are few and far between. Those who know where they might be found are pretty tight lipped about it. I've seen one in the dozen years I've lived here, and heard of a couple more from guys I trust. I don't think they have a chance of ever really getting a big population here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are an invasive vermin. You DO NOT want them to "gain" a little traction around your parts.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I wish they'd gain a little traction around here, would give me one more thing to hunt. We have them here, but they are few and far between. Those who know where they might be found are pretty tight lipped about it. I've seen one in the dozen years I've lived here, and heard of a couple more from guys I trust. I don't think they have a chance of ever really getting a big population here.
I hope you're joking. They're as destructive and any animal in the country. You do NOT want them there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I don't think we have much to worry about. They've been here for years and haven't exploded. Winters are too harsh, too many predators and they get shot on sight. So yeah, I'd like to see a few more of them, just enough to get a crack at a couple a year. I've got a general idea of an area where there are supposed to be a few, but so far haven't found them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumb.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have wild pigs ever established a healthy population in a northern state over a large area?

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why is it so dumb? Are they any more destructive than any other animal filling a niche?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They eat everything and rip apart the very earth doing it. They breed like rabbits. Crowd out anything they don't eat directly, by eating all their food too. And they aren't talking about a couple of farm runaways, they are talking about generations old, hydrid Russians. Nothing much to prey them down any.

But winters in the north may be the only thing to hold them down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But I have been to Madison and encounter a couple of them at a local bar.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It gets cold in Russia and Europe so I think they would adapt. Hogs adapt to pretty much anything.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I don't think we have much to worry about. They've been here for years and haven't exploded. Winters are too harsh, too many predators and they get shot on sight. So yeah, I'd like to see a few more of them, just enough to get a crack at a couple a year. I've got a general idea of an area where there are supposed to be a few, but so far haven't found them.

Uh, Eurasian and Russian strain hogs have no issues with hard winter; like deer, they seem to grow larger as they move north and cropland/wooded food sources grow. Keep in mind that hogs will eat anything.

I would agree, most would be shot or eradicated like pretty much every other varmint in the Midwest, but any foothold in any heavier covered areas and they would definitely get out of hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not Alberta cold. Not many boar in that kind of country in Russia.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK

Could be thats what it is, all I know is they have been around here for years but never took off. Something is knocking them off. Once in a while you hear about an area that has them, but that generally means someone heard about someone seeing one. Guys will sooner tell you about their best fishing spot on their favorite lake before telling where they saw a wild boar. So yeah, I'm not too worried about them getting out of hand. Still hope to shoot one some day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
They are an invasive vermin. You DO NOT want them to "gain" a little traction around your parts.

Rancho;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully the weekend treated you and yours well.

I'm definitely on the same page as you on the subject of porcine invaders - they are bad, BAD news.

We had a small population escape from a farm a couple valleys to the east of us and I've heard of a single hog being shot in our valley but a couple hours north.

As they're classed as an invasive species here in BC there's no bag limit and no closed season, however we're not allowed to spotlight them.

The folks who've said they won't last in extreme cold should know there's a small population that's been a growing problem in east central Saskatchewan - where they're no stranger to winter and it can last from Halloween until way past Easter.....

They're pretty anti hog there too - I've been given to understand that they're mainly able to survive in coulees or thick enough brush that can't be accessed via snowmobile.

Anyway we're doing our best in two provinces to exterminate them all, but only time will tell if we're successful or not.

All the best to you and yours this week Rancho.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
They're found in the Leningrad area which is about 60 degrees north, farther north than much of Alberta. They also have them across the northern border into Finland. I don't know how big the population is there, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.