Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9478504 01/03/15
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Been shooting Hoyts for about 25yrs. Currently shooting their AlphaMax model. It was an Aspen before that. I am 100% confident in their product. It's about time to put the AlphaMax down and try something new. So for any of the Hoyt fans out there, which models from their hunting bow line should I give some serious thought towards buying? I wouldn't mind trying one of their carbon series bows but just want to hear from others on what they currently have to offer.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I've been trying to convince myself NOT to buy a nitrum 34....not sure if I have enough willpower tho.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Carbon Spider ZT 34. I have an original Carbon Matrix great bow. The Spider is a set-up in little things but I can't see buying a new bow for that.

The Nitrum 34 is a very nice bow as well. But if I was upgrading today it would be the Carbon Spider ZT 34.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nitrium. Havent played with the 34 but the 30 is putting up some amazing numbers. Sweet shooting bow

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That Nitrium should feel similar in my hand as my current AlphaMax 32 I'd think. They resemble each other quite a bit in looks I think. I wonder how much difference there'd be when shooting the two? I sure hope it'd be noticeable! Especially considering the cost of the upgrade.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you will notice a difference. If your DL allows, the #2 cam has shown to be very efficient on these bows. IIRC 28" works with either the #2 cam in the E slot or the #3 in the A slot. Get the #2 if this is the case with YOUR DL.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I'm seeing a Nitrum 30 in my very near future ... Lol! Can't wait to put my hands on one. I'm calling my local dealer tomorrow to inquire about it I think. What will this bow cost me bare?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I just listed a 2015 carbon Spyder ZT30 on flea bay set up nice for cheap. I bought it on here and can't keep it. It us a sweet bow. 3 cam , RH, 50-60 lb limbs....

Hardin284
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just got home from one of the local archery shops. I managed to get to shoot 3 of Hoyts new 2015 bows along with also getting to shoot the new Mathews No Cam HTR. It was nice to have all 4 bows side x side and shoot back and forth amongst them. Spent a good bit shooting each one of them. The Hoyts I shot were the 30" Carbon Spyder, 30" Nitrum, and the Nitrum Turbo. First, I will start off by saying that these were all good solid bows and they would all most likely make a fella happy ... don't see how any of them could be considered a bad choice. I decided to shoot the Mathews for the fact that everyone and their brother in my area seems to shoot them and I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. Also, wanted to see/feel what this new No Cam technology was all about. I will say that the Mathews was probably the quietest and most dead in my hand bow I have ever shot, but for me that is where it stops. It didn't feel comfortable in my hands from the second I grabbed it and remained that way while shooting it. I did not care for the feel of the draw cycle in the slightest bit. Also, in my opinion this bow is a step backwards in speed even compared to my current Alphamax. I'm not a speed guy and never will be but this thing was noticeably slow ... end of story. The diehard Mathews guys will still buy them. I loved the feel of the Carbon Spyder the most out of the bunch. It just screams don't put me down! The Nitrum has a very similar feel though. Comparing the Carbon Spyder and the Nitrum side x side, the differences between them was very very minimal if any at all. Yes the one is Carbon and yes you can tell it is just a tad lighter but To Me it is not worth the $450 price difference they are asking for the Carbon. Not in the slightest bit! The Nitrum 30" was equally Impressive in performance and for me the biggest difference in these new bows compared to my current Alphamax was how they felt holding them at full draw. They feel like they can be held there forever ... no pull forward whatsoever. It truly was noticeably different. The Nitrum 30" was pretty darn comparable in quietness as the Mathews but again the Mathews had the edge in that department. Finally, I also shot the Nitrum Turbo and just don't have a strong enough desire for speed to shoot it as a hunting bow. It was definitely the fastest of the bunch but you lose some of the quietness and smoothness in the draw cycle in my opinion. Just not my cup of tea. If money wasn't a factor I might splurge on the Carbon Spyder but for no other reason than to just say look what I have ... if you know what I mean. For me the clear winner today was the 30" Nitrum and I'm sure that's what will be coming home with me in the very near future. I will say, I'm glad I took the time to shoot and handle them all. I will not be second guessing my decision in the least little way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing about the carbon bow. I believe I shot the Carbon Element (two years ago). It felt SAHWEET then I read the owners manual.......Do not drop this bow in sharp rocks. DUH. I live in the Rocky Mountains......and I hunt with Mules! I lost 4 ounces of weight (as in the bow I bought weighed 4 ounces more)..which may have helped my accuracy....who knows. Rampage baby Rampage! It is the favorite weapon I ever have owned.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/05/15.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice review RickyBobby - I have had similar experiences with all the bows noted. The Charger is another bow that you may want to try - you might just wonder why the Nitrums cost twice as much....There is a hunting pro staffer from Hoyt that I shoot with quite a bit. One day I had the Charger down at the range and was shooting a bit. He ask if he could shoot my bow, I said sure have at it. Well about 15 minutes later I had to ask for it back so I could shoot. To say he was impressed was an understatement. Being how he gets a free bow each year he just goes with the top of the line and does not really check out anything else. That little bow really caught his attention and mine as well. Here's a pic of it from this fall - worked just fine on him.
[Linked Image]

FWIW: My new bow is a Hoyt Freestyle (ordered, still waiting) Harvest Brown 40-50#, purpose will be to punch holes in paper and replace my Ultratec that my Brother talked me out of.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Freestyle came in Friday. Set it up and shot a 445/450 Vegas round and a 54X 300 NFAA 300 rounds with it on Sunday. Pretty good considering the shooter. I have been shooting recurves mostly for the last 5 years and have not shot a full blown target rig at all the last 5 years. Fun stuff.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I'm seeing a Nitrum 30 in my very near future ... Lol! Can't wait to put my hands on one. I'm calling my local dealer tomorrow to inquire about it I think. What will this bow cost me bare?

I've flip/flopped about a new bow until I shot a Nitrum Turbo today. I'm swapping my old bow and a Sig p226 9mm on it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nitrums are very nice, I shot a couple at the shop the other day. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Faktor turbo. Best money i ever spent.

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well, finally got around to putting my hands on an Obsession bow today. My local dealer has picked them up and recently started dealing them. Keep in mind I'm a faithful diehard Hoyt fan and I was destined to buy that new Nitrum ..... right??? Well look what came home with me today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Folks, believe me when I say these Obsession bows are the real deal! This Fusion 6 is one bad Muther Trucker!!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice - I like mine!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Nice - I like mine!

Are you shooting Fusion?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No - Phoenix, same bow and cam design, but with draw length modules on the cams.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the 2014 Evolution and I really want one of the 2015 Addiction OBB's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.