Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
In my search for a revolver for my wife (a VERY novice shooter), I've stumbled across the S&W 317 Airlites. She likes the weight and grip of my 642, just does not handle a 38 well at all. Anyone have any experience with this revolver? I'm thinking get her more accustomed to shooting with a good 22 and then step her up slowly to a 327fed or 38sp.

Brandon Gleason
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
LCR .22lr

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry, I missed to add that I'd like a 3-4" barrel with adjustable sights. She shot a few snubs and she much preferred larger sights than the small fixed ones on most snubbies.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have heard the triggers really suck. I wanted one at one time but couldn't get my hands on one to try the trigger.

Last edited by K1500; 04/25/15.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull. Makes a good backpack gun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull.

My experience as well. Plus they usually bring a premium price when I see them on GunBroker.
Personally I'd take a closer look at the Ruger LCR or the SP101 with the 4" barrel and adjustable sights.
If your determined to go with a S&W, I'd but a 4" Kit Gun Model 34 with adjustable sights.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not entirely tied to an S&W. Had her try an sp101 38sp at the range a few months ago and she wasn't a fan of the stock grips. Easily changed, though.
An SP101 in 327fed was my initial thought for her, but I'm starting to think starting with a 22 is the way to go.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love mine but would never pay asking prices these days.
Paid $450 used 10 years ago and have not seen one since.

I agree with all previous statements concerning pros and cons but there is something unique about a quality .22 revolver that feels like it weighs less than an empty beer can.

BTW I dumped the tru-glo sight asap.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 351PD in .22mag, and like it a lot...

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull. Makes a good backpack gun.
I definitely agree with that! I bought mine for a dispatch gun while trapping and it is pretty good for that with the light weight but for a kit gun or general knock around the woods choice, I wouldn't pick this one...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
get her one of those little Bersa 22 auto's to learn how to shoot, then up to a 9mm auto to carry, maybe the new G43.... Any double action revolver is going to be tougher to shoot than a single action auto, and confidence when the chips are down is what its all about. In an auto having the trigger pull the same is smarter as well, though some do relish practicing Jedi like focus to deploy double-single action devices.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The 317 has some real advantages. It's so light that one can almost forget it's riding on the hip. It is accurate, and has sights that show up in bad light.
The trigger on mine was pretty good from the factory.
The trouble is it's so light, it hard to shoot well at ranges over 15 yds. I would not recommend it for a new shooter because of that. Not unless the shooter wasn't interested in becoming much of a pistol shot.
I'd suggest finding a steel model along the same lines. E

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
get her one of those little Bersa 22 auto's to learn how to shoot, then up to a 9mm auto to carry, maybe the new G43.... Any double action revolver is going to be tougher to shoot than a single action auto, and confidence when the chips are down is what its all about. In an auto having the trigger pull the same is smarter as well, though some do relish practicing Jedi like focus to deploy double-single action devices.

Had her try a Ruger MkII and a Glock 19 on her inaugural range day last fall and she was not a fan of semi's in either caliber. She said she was more comfortable with the revolver. I wish she did like the semis, as I already have a MkII and then an HK P2000 9mm. That'd mean I could be shopping for an S&W Mountain Gun for me right now instead of something for her!

Brandon Gleason
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The 317 has some real advantages. It's so light that one can almost forget it's riding on the hip. It is accurate, and has sights that show up in bad light.
The trigger on mine was pretty good from the factory.
The trouble is it's so light, it hard to shoot well at ranges over 15 yds. I would not recommend it for a new shooter because of that. Not unless the shooter wasn't interested in becoming much of a pistol shot.
I'd suggest finding a steel model along the same lines. E

This seems to be a recurring opinion and suggestion. Sounds like I'm now on the hunt for a 63 or 617.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My wife chose a Model 60 Pro (3" J frame .357 with adjustable sights). I thought about getting her the 317 as an understudy but was turned off by the weight/trigger pull. She seems to do fine with my 4" 617 so there is really no need for the 317 for me.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Had a 60 Pro myself for a few years and sold it off about 4 years ago. Kicking myself, as it was a great little carry gun.

I suppose I could get a 38 and load it down as low as she'll go.....

Last edited by FFemtRN5287; 04/26/15.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
^ there is that option too.

K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have a 3" 317 and think that it is great for what it is designed for. Easy to carry, and with a little range time, very accurate.
It is a great training gun for young or small people and as someone mentioned, a great practice gun if you also own a model 60 as I do.

As far as the trigger, I'm not sure what they mean when referring to it as a difficult trigger. In single action, it breaks at just over 2# with the typical S&W trigger feel. You can't get much better than that.

Agreed that shooting it in double action mode renders it as a noise maker only. But as with most double action revolvers, if you are looking for accuracy, you are going to shoot it in single action mode.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 317 and love it. The damn thing was so hard to find new to purchase that when one showed up new in my lgs I bought it immediately, outrageous price notwithstanding. The only issue with mine is I have the rear sight bottomed out and it still shoots high.

The only other "issue" I had with mine was the little grip and my large mitts. I put a Hogue grip on it and it's much better now.

The other challenge not related to the gun itself was finding a holster for it made of anything besides leather. I wanted to keep it somewhat protected in my front game vest pocket while grouse hunting and didn't want leather which would sponge up moisture. I finally found one that works very well, made by Blade-Tech. Ugly as all get-out but sure does the trick, and man, did I search FOREVER for a holster:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...d-smith-and-wesson-j-frame-3-kydex-black

-John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I HAD one. I am a huge S&W fan but that one i had was a lemon. I bought it immediately when i saw it as the rarity of them around here. First time to range it spit lead back into your face which then i noticed it did not lock up tight. Back to factory............ Didnt spit lead anymore as they replaced cylinder. Got looking at it and the barrel was not clocked correctly. Back again to have barrel straightened. Finally it was all good after 2 trips back to Mass. It is a very difficult revolver to shoot due to it weighing almost nothing. The fiber optic sights are also not the most precise. I had the same problem as above post sight was bottomed out and it still shot high. It is a great trapping gun due to its light weight and the short range of shots. 15 yards max for me. The fellow I sold it to uses it for that as I gave him full disclosure on it when he bought it from me. He also changed the sight out to standard sights. Again I love S&W every handgun I own except 1 is a S&W but that 317 was not my cup of tea shall we say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.