Campfire Tracker
S
Grit's Gresham...."Less filling,taste's great"

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll probably not get this Elmer Keith Quote exact but, It seems that while sitting around a campfire with several hunters/shooters Elmer was asked, Elmer What do you consider the perfect caliber. He paused for a moment and then replied, "Something that'll throw a camp stove about 3000 feet per second"! Not an exact quote, but you should get the idea. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Can't remember who wrote this. Maybe David Petzel:

Q: Where's the best place to shoot a moose?

A: Right next to a forklift.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
I wish I could remember the exact quote, but Keith once remarked about people complaining he was into "overkill". He said he could not understand the subject as how could something wind up "overdead".

Just part of the unholy trinity of overkill, overdead, and overpenetrate.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I probably shouldn't have been so hard on Savage 99. Apparently am just in a grumpy mood, as I've learned several things from him over the years:

1) .22 caliber centerfires won't kill whitetail deer correctly. He knows this because he once shot a deer with a .22 centerfire, and though the deer died, it didn't die correctly.

2) The .358 Winchester is far more popular than the .257 Roberts, because the .257 Roberts also won't kill whitetails correctly.

3) Deer don't die correctly when shot with push-feed bolt actions. This is because all push-feeds jam constantly, so you can't shoot deer multiple times, rapidly.

I am sure other things have been learned from him, but can't recall any right now. Maybe he'll find some more interesting facts on the Internet and share them here.

It seems more deer-training is needed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I forget the subject being written about but Jim Carmichael wrote," Like fast cars and fair ladies it isn't for the average chap".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by moosemike
Savage 99 has singlehandedly rendered gunwriters obsolete. I can't wait for him to type his complete treatise on CRF's and Connecticut deer hunting. He's almost convinced me to swear off push feeds so as it is!

Don wrote, "Magazine writers have been replaced by you and I on the internet."

When he makes his debut as a gun writer, who's gonna correct his misuse of subjective "I" for objective "me"?

DF

This is going to date me, but that hardly matters. When I was attending K-12 the correct use of the personal pronoun was ...you and I blah blah blah...

You and me was considered incorrect.

Now, you and me is preferred, but you and I is still accepted by many professors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do you find confirmation that "I" is now accepted as the objective pronoun rather than "me"?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Savage 99 has singlehandedly rendered gunwriters obsolete. I can't wait for him to type his complete treatise on CRF's and Connecticut deer hunting. He's almost convinced me to swear off push feeds so as it is!

When he makes his debut as a gun writer, who's gonna correct his misuse of subjective "I" for objective "me"?

DF

This is going to date me, but that hardly matters. When I was attending K-12 the correct use of the personal pronoun was ...you and I blah blah blah...

Now, you and me is preferred, but you and I is still accepted by many professors.

"You and I" are correct for the subjective.

"You and me" are correct for the objective.

I don't think mixing those uses is Kosher, regardless how "modern" one thinks he is.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

DF

You seriously overrate your grammar skills again... just like when you refused to look up polysyndeton...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Say the sentence twice as follows:

"Magazine writers have been replaced by you on the Internet."

"Magazine writers have been replaced by me on the Internet."

One would not say, "Magazine writers have been replaced by I on the Internet."

So, the correct grammar/structure would be: "Magazine writers have been replaced by you and me on the Internet."

Congratulations to those who got it right. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
And yet, they still, "Ask the Gunwriters"!

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
"The way to hunt is for as long as you live against as long as there is such and such an animal; just as the way to paint is as long as there is you and colors and canvas, and to write as long you can live and there is pencil and paper or ink or any machine to do it with, or anything you care to write about, and you feel a fool, and you are a fool, to do it any other way."

Ernest Hemingway -Green Hills of Africa

Last edited by TeleCaster; 04/26/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
More than a one-liner, but I've always liked this.

Colonel Jeff Cooper, 1920 - 2006

. . . But guns, love and defense of country, and fighting the good fight are what he will be remembered for, and these things and these ideas brought out some of his most powerful writing.

"Weapons are the tools of power," he wrote back in 1979. "In the hands of the state, they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals, they are the tools of evil. In the hands of the free and decent citizen, they should be the tools of liberty. Weapons compound man's power to achieve whatever purpose he may have. They amplify the capabilities of both the good man and the bad, and to exactly the same degree, having no will of their own. Thus, we must regard them as servants, not masters--and good servants of good men. Without them, man is diminished, and his opportunities to fulfill his destiny are lessened. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nine-millimeters are all well and good until someone loses an eye.
Jeff Cooper

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff Cooper---
The 45 acp is not the ideal cartridge, it is the cartridge chambered in the ideal pistol.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"It was now evident to me that the subconscious can take over during moments of great stress. When it does take over, it is infallible — it can only achieve perfection. The shots that I made in that first gunfight were so precise and so quick that I have never been able to duplicate the feat at a range on paper targets"Jim Cirillo

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Capstick had so many great ones but one in particular I like was in regards to elephants.. Roughly..
Nothing in the world is as attention getting as as a bull elephant that has just decided he doesn't like you, and nothing, but nothing in the animal kingdom is as well equipped to do something about it..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Say the sentence twice as follows:

"Magazine writers have been replaced by you on the Internet."

"Magazine writers have been replaced by me on the Internet."

One would not say, "Magazine writers have been replaced by I on the Internet."

So, the correct grammar/structure would be: "Magazine writers have been replaced by you and me on the Internet."

Congratulations to those who got it right. smile

grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"We never really own a dog as much as he owns us."

Gene Hill

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.