Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I'm gonna sale my street bike cause I'm tired of being pulled out in front of and having people change lanes on me. If it weren't for me riding like everyone was out to kill me I would be dead.

You are where I was about 7-8yrs ago!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always thought having a bike would be nice, but I've seen too many "minor" accidents turn into a fatality for the bike rider. I decided they're just not for me. I've never really understood riding all packed up on interstates though. Seems like you're begging for trouble. We had a group tangle with a semi last fall, going about 70 mph. 4 fatalities, ugly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I'm gonna sale my street bike cause I'm tired of being pulled out in front of and having people change lanes on me. If it weren't for me riding like everyone was out to kill me I would be dead.

Been thinking strongly of doing the same thing for the same reasons.

Life is just one damned thing after another
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can understand why some get killed. They ride like idiots, at least half I encountered did. When you see more than 20 in a group they think traffic laws don't apply to them. Running stop signs so they don't have to stop and put their feet down, Nitwits pulling their bikes in front of traffic causing it to stop so the group can pull out together. Just yesterday, three bikes at an intersection. First two pull out, the third pulls out in front of a pickup and almost gets plastered. I guess he was afraid he was going to lose the other two. Thats something I would expect three whitetail deer to do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep guys its crazy in town. I had a woman that was right beside me at a red light, when it turned green we went across an intersection and she started pulling away from me to where I was about even with her rear door handle. Then she just changed lanes as if I wasn't there. I just moved over as she did and stood up and knocked on her door with my right foot as Igot over then passed her!

I mean I was right beside her at the red light. WTH! People are idiots and every single time something like that has happened it has been a woman or a mexican, just sayin... I'm gonna keep the XR650R though.

Nope it just isn't worth it. Not in town anyways. I also have a boy that is 16 and I don't want him on a street bike so I can't be riding one if I preach to him about how dangerous it is.

Last edited by seal_billy; 04/25/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I parked my bike in 95, havent been on one since.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you have witnessed kids moving through their daily lives as zombies don't expect anything else behind the wheel. Being right and being dead isn't much consolation. New gen of people outside.

America is a land of dead drivers. There are WAY to many distractions for people now. Phones the biggest! To much stuff available to think about inside the car.....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's the truth... Even the cars bells and whistels are a distraction.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pat85
I can understand why some get killed. They ride like idiots, at least half I encountered did. When you see more than 20 in a group they think traffic laws don't apply to them. Running stop signs so they don't have to stop and put their feet down, Nitwits pulling their bikes in front of traffic causing it to stop so the group can pull out together. Just yesterday, three bikes at an intersection. First two pull out, the third pulls out in front of a pickup and almost gets plastered. I guess he was afraid he was going to lose the other two. Thats something I would expect three whitetail deer to do.

Pat, that's of course, the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The death yesterday, according to the FHP, was the bike ran up into the rear of the car.
Further up the Turnpike, near Orlando, I ran across three Harleys. They were riding two abreast, with one behind, doing 65 in the passing lane. They were blocking traffic, and knew it. Cars, including mine, went roaring into the right lane, and back into the fast lane. When I went by, one of the scooter drivers gave me a really dirty look.
In Miami, there is a rice rocket death a week, often on the Julia Tuttle, (I-195 heading to Miami Beach). They race between cars, rocket by traffic in the pull off lane, and generally act like horses azzes. One died a week ago, when he tried to go between two cars at 70, and one pulled over just a tiny bit.
While we need to 'watch out for motorcycles', they damn sure need to watch their own behavior.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
motorcycle accidents and deaths just go together

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We recently had a horrible accident in Southern Oklahoma on State Highway 81. A northbound truck came over the centerline and struck the lead bike in a 10 bike group. All 10 bikes got piled up, mostly trying to avoid the truck. Some deaths, not sure of how significant the injuries were.

People in Autos/trucks simply don't make a conscience decision to be on the lookout for bikes.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
people on bikes simply don't make any effort to insure their own well being.

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Several years ago there must have been a poker run or some sort of charity run because I encountered what I believe to be over 100 bikes. They entered the 4 lane divided highway and one goof stopped in the right lane to force traffic to the passing lane. I am hung in the passing lane with the horse trailer and they won't let me back in the right lane to exit 3 miles down the road. They let me in because I forced my way over. Wasn't going to let those a$$holes make me miss my exit and go several miles out of my way. I call those idiots cheesy riders, they give the responsible riders a bad rap.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I parked my bike in 95, havent been on one since.

Sold my Harley the same year. Haven't been on on since either, and when you see the idiots on their cell phones texting and not paying attention it confirms my decision even more. Was offered a wide glide at a great price the other day and turned it down as I'm not wanting to be an "oh sh*t", I just didn't see him casualty.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
motorcycle accidents and deaths just go together

This.
A year ago one of our kids got married, in a bike wreck, died, and his wife had their first child, within 2 months. The last thing my wife told him in person was "You're a husband and soon to be a father, stay off that bike." Three weeks later he was dead. He had so much to live for.

If I were a rider I'd have all the life insurance I could afford and all my funeral plans in place.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Pat, that's of course, the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The death yesterday, according to the FHP, was the bike ran up into the rear of the car.
Further up the Turnpike, near Orlando, I ran across three Harleys. They were riding two abreast, with one behind, doing 65 in the passing lane. They were blocking traffic, and knew it. Cars, including mine, went roaring into the right lane, and back into the fast lane. When I went by, one of the scooter drivers gave me a really dirty look.
In Miami, there is a rice rocket death a week, often on the Julia Tuttle, (I-195 heading to Miami Beach). They race between cars, rocket by traffic in the pull off lane, and generally act like horses azzes. One died a week ago, when he tried to go between two cars at 70, and one pulled over just a tiny bit.
While we need to 'watch out for motorcycles', they damn sure need to watch their own behavior.

try watching out for them when your heading down the freeway at 120000lbs,gravel truck and wagon and have to change lanes , you LOOK its CLEAR you start to switch and a crotch rocket passes you at 30 miles an hour over the limit 2 feet off your front bumper.. fiffen death wish, JUST PLAIN STUPID.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have been riding since the 1970's. Still here. Still enjoying.

I don't ride stupid, anymore. Got that out of my system a long time ago.

Be careful out there, and think. Please.

Regards, Guy

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am one of the Arzz hats that DRIVES a bike.
I am very aggressive when I drive and will push other bikes out of my way when they are going to slow.

That said
I do not ride in groups and yes I road a Harley until 6 weeks ago when a tow truck driver threw it off of his tow truck and totaled it. I will be getting another when it is all worked out.

Going the speed of the traffic is a death sentence for a biker even the highway patrol here in So. Cal will let bikes go faster than the traffic (to an extent)

Riding in large groups is also a death sentence stupid is as stupid does.

I have had my share of accidents on bikes most of them were not my fault. One was , to fast around a bad corner on a new bike to me and I was down for six weeks recovering.

I do not pleasure ride. I commute and the bike saves me many hours a week on the road and a lot of fuel. It does not save me money.

When I drive my truck I drive all of my passengers nuts because I do not stop looking in every direction. I have had my mother and my girl friend tell me to knock it off that I am diving them crazy. To many years on a bike and a habit that I will not want to stop doing.

Most bike are arzz holes like what was said earlier they think that the traffic laws do not apply to them and they do not pay attention to the surroundings around them . But most auto drivers at least in So. Cal. have no clue on how to drive the vehicle they are in. They are just going along for the ride them selves.

In S. Cal.they need to have mandatory refresher courses in driving every 5 years to knock some sense into the idiots and wake the illegals up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

True all too often.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is true of most drivers regardless of mode. As vehicles go, two wheels are far less forgiving than four.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
604 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.