Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Purchased this rifle not long ago. It's a '56 Winchester pre64 Model 70 30-06 FWT. It came with the mounts below. Would appreciate any and all info on what these mounts are and how best to employ them mounting the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36, also shown below. If anybody's got a better idea, I'm all ears. Thanks.

I "think" the base mounts are Leupold QRW mounts. Product #49836.

If so, I'm hoping I can use the Leupold PRW rings 1" medium. Product #54149.
or the 1" lows. Product #54144.

I'm trying to find out if I can use these mounts, and just get rings to go with them. If not, then I'll have to go with another mount system.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best Wishes,
LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/22/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Those appear to be the leupold QRW/PRW bases. You might have better luck with the burris Z-rings on those with that scope so you will have more lateral adjustability. If you use the PRW's, you may not have any adjustment for to aft. The leupold PRW's are pretty wide... Here's a picture to show you what I'm talking about:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, that was exactly my concern.. not having enough adjustment fore and aft.
Are those QRW's on yours, topped with the Z-rings?

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/22/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
FWIIW, you can flip both the front and rear base 180* to move the groove. But the way you have it now has the two grooves closest together, which probably gives you the most flexibility.

I'm pretty sure Warne makes some similar bases, with some that have the groove outside the two screws (as opposed to in between them.) Those can give you more fore/aft options.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, thanks for the input. But, checking the pics after your post, it looks like that would put the rings even farther apart.

The tube on the Z3 is short, shorter than any of my Leupolds that I can recall from memory.

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
LD, your scope dimension from bell to bell is 5.35". A Leupold vx2 3-9x40 dimension is 5.6", so it is .25" shorter than the Leupold. If you use the medium PRW's and can get the scope to fit, you might be OK but you won't have any front to rear adjustment. Still might work though.

Talley lightweight's might give you more leeway and they are good rings, a one piece base and ring, and are offset so you can mount one forward and one reverse.

Another option, although I don't like them as well is to mount a picatinny rail and use Weaver type mounts.

Good luck

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LD, When I wanted to mount a Leu. 3-9x33 compact (5 3/8" available tube) the only thing that allowed me to get it mounted properly without using a rail was to use the Leu. Dual Dovetail RVF (reversible front) base set #54241. The only downside to these is that the front base overhangs the ejection port slightly. With this set the ring mount slot is behind both of the front base screws, roughly flush with the forward edge of the ejection port.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Doc, thanks for the input. But, checking the pics after your post, it looks like that would put the rings even farther apart.

The tube on the Z3 is short, shorter than any of my Leupolds that I can recall from memory.

If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

No, you are not wrong. That is why I wrote "But the way you have it now has the two grooves closest together, which probably gives you the most flexibility."

Mostly, I wanted to make you aware of the concept. Some of the other brands I have seen with the grooves outside the screws will allow you to have both grooves behind the screws or in front of the screws. This keeps the rings close together for shorter scopes, but allows a large shift rearward or forward.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, that was exactly my concern.. not having enough adjustment fore and aft.
Are those QRW's on yours, topped with the Z-rings?

Those are QRW/PRW base and Leupold PRW rings. The Z rings will be much narrower and they fit the weaver style mount..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good suggestions from the guys regarding the talley lightweights. I have a set on my 338 with a Swaro 3-9x36:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
You can also use Leupold DD's. I'm sure that scope would fit just fine with a set of leupold low DD's...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, that looks like a great setup on your .338.

Is that Talley Lightweight front mount reversible to allow any more aft adjustment, if needed?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Talley lwts. are reversible, front and rear. The set on bsa's .338 also comes with the front offset rearward 1/4" or 1/2". The 1/2" offset overhangs the ejct. port by a little less than 1/4".
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, that looks like a great setup on your .338.

Is that Talley Lightweight front mount reversible to allow any more aft adjustment, if needed?

Yes sir, it is. You can turn either one like John said. I need to clarify something with this particular 338. It is built on an H&H action, so it may not be exactly representative of how it will look on a std. or fwt rifle.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, both your bases front and rear look the same length. Is that correct?
If so, would you happen to know the model number?

Reason I ask, I went to BassPro today and tried the Leupold DD's. Mounted them on the rifle, but couldn't get the scope back far enough for a good cheek weld before it started to run up against the taper on the front bell.

BassPro here stopped carrying Talley's.

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/24/15.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
local dirt, you'll need 930702 if you are looking for the correct Talley lightweights for your rifle. Those are the low matte blacks.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, BSA! I'll check those out when I get home from work today.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Keep us posted. I hope you get that thing mounted, so you can show it off to us.. Those swaro's are damn nice.. I had some talley lightweights on my '56 fwt 30-06 for a while:
[Linked Image]

These are mediums which allow for the use of the big objective on this Burris FFII 4.5-14....

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LD, You may want to consider that same exact set- LWT matte lows, but with the front ring extended back 1/4". It's Talley part# 93X702 If you flip the front ring around 180 degrees from bsa's photo, the leading edge of the ring will be perfectly flush with the front of the ejection port. Both rings turned inward will give you the shortest set-up you'll get without overhanging the bolt. Also, like with most any of the extendeds, you have to watch for the obj. bell hitting the foot of the base. That usually happens before the bell gets to the ring. I asked Gregg at Talley once if beveling down the leading edge of the LWT mount an eighth" or so would hurt the integrity of the mount (lead to cracks,etc.) and he said it wouldn't hurt at all. I've had to do this several times and just touch it up a Sharpie or blk. paint pen.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great post/suggestion john. I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was posting a picture of the std talley lightweights, but didn't think I could explain that as well as you just did. I have a picture to show what the extended front looks like on the model 70. Hope this helps LD:

[Linked Image]

You are also correct about the blocky design of the base of the LWT. They do create problems in mounting sometimes. They will not allow you to push the scope forward enough because of the power adjustment ring (as seen in the pictures) or the taper of the bell hits. Lex Webernick had Talley design a really nice LWT ring for his customs that I wish Talley would consider for some of the other manufactures (including Winchester model 70's). Here are a set of those rings on an old Ruger m77 tang safety round top:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey fellas,

Update:
1. Found a set of the 930702 Talley's on Amazon for $39.40 total, including shipping. Not real happy about Amazon's new tax policy for FL, though. I hear they're doing the same in 21 states now.

2. Scoured the internet looking for the 93X702 Talley's, extended version. EVERYBODY is out of stock.. except Midway. Picked up a set of those for $52.98 total.

Figure if one of 'em works out, I'm golden. And, no harm in keeping a set of Talley low's around, just in case.

Thanks again for all the help!

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.