Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mule Deer,
Thanks for the quick reply, he is a super person , we shared some holiday meals together while in school , good friends with Bobby Lee, Art Leckie, a guy named Buecher who had been the chef for a US Army General, made a damn good pheasant and duck for Thanksgiving, I read as much as I can by you , full of info and not BS. I am old , got 57 years behind me can sort out the bull and the bull S##t over a good adult libation, anything malted.
Mule Deer if you get this way, let me know, we will share some knowledge(like I might have something to offer.)

CBI

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mule Deer,
Thanks for the quick reply, he is a super person , we shared some holiday meals together while in school , good friends with Bobby Lee, Art Leckie, a guy named Buecher who had been the chef for a US Army General, made a damn good pheasant and duck for Thanksgiving, I read as much as I can by you , full of info and not BS. I am old , got 57 years behind me can sort out the bull and the bull S##t over a good adult libation, anything malted.
Mule Deer if you get this way, let me know, we will share some knowledge(like I might have something to offer.)

CBI

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Malt is good for me too! The one thing Jack didn't like on the Alaska hunt (among others) was not being able to bring enough beer to a spike camp.

I turn 57 in a month so we are right in there together. Jack is 11 years older and sure doesn't look it.

As far as knowledge, I have learned something every day of my life and have a lot more to learn. If I get down your way would love to talk guns and anything else.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
rrconductor
Unfortunately Ralph Bone passed away recently and was pretty much broke. A couple guys took advantage of his widow on some of Ralph's stuff.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 10/28/09.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Butch, thank you for forwarding my post to Mr. Carmichael... that was very thoughtful of you - and I really appreciate his reply. Thanks again!

Growing up reading O'Connor fueled my desire to hunt and shoot. When Carmichael�s reign began, I was entering adulthood, and he fill my need for "how to" achieve and be proficient with a hunting rifle. His engineering and shooting background dovetailed my exact needs at the time... What he penned in his articles, proved to be correct by my experiences in the field.

My two most favorite books in my library are "The Hunting Rifle" by O'Connor and "The Modern Rifle" by Carmichael. I have almost warn the ink off the pages of those two over the years. They became my bible, both Old and New Testament. I shouldn't admit this, but I can recite some memorable paragraphs word for word as they were written... Am I addicted or what?

Next month my son goes on his first sheep hunt, a Desert Bighorn in Nevada... As with all things, the cycle of life continues. Ovis_Chaser

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Butch, I saw a picture of Mr. Bone awhile back, did not know he had passed away, I think he was a Texan, he engraved a VZ 33/40 that I built for my Dad in 7x57 , got stolen after my Dad died.
He was a hell of a nice man with a multitude of knowledge. sorry to hear that people would take advantage of his widow, SOB'S.Where is Poetry, Texas?

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mule Deer,
Thats the Jack M. I know, hope the hunt was sucessful, it's not about killing, it's hunting.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Poetry is a community about 45 miles east of Dallas between I30 and I20. Ralph lived in Okla when he passed away in the Tulsa area.
Butch

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm new here and only on page two of this thread, but am amazed that I didn't find this site sooner. What an awesome forum. This is so cool to actually be able to communicate one on one with you fellas(gun writers). I can't wait to read on.

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
pinku,

You might have gotten more response from your post if you'd used it to start a new thread.

I both agree and disagree. I agree that too many gun reviews are very much like you describe. I disagree that ALL are like that.

Part of the problem is that about 20 years ago one magazine publishing company (in New York City) discovered that they could sell a lot more ads if they pimped a pile of products in every article. This the origin of the hunting story that began something like this: "I got out of my Super-Cozy sleeping bag and slipped my feet into my Rugged Brand Boots, then grabbed my Remingchester .300 Whiz-Bang and a box of Grizzly Blaster ammo and headed out the door of my marvelous Mountain Master tent."

Advertisers soon flocked to these magazines, and other publishing companies noticed. Some (but not all) publishers copied the technique. In fact I know of one that has a clause guaranteeing editorial coverage of the product in their advertising contracts.

The problem was that readers also noticed. The old-fashioned way of publishing magazines was to attract lots of readers, then persuade companies to advertise by pointing out how many hard-core shooters and hunters read the magazine. The "adverwhorial" method of publishing turned this around. The reader was secondary to advertising sales, and many readers (like you) noticed.

This is one reason, among several, for the readership drop in some hunting and shooting magazines over the past 20-odd years. As a matter of fact, the publishing company that started the trend no longer publishes ANY hunting magazines, because too many readers got fed up and quit buying the magazines.

Another example is what once used to be a fine hunting magazine, with a mix of actual hunting stories and real equipment evaluations. But for the past decade or so it became a thinly disguised gun magazine, full of "hunting stories" about hunts thrown by manufacturers for writers. Since these hunts usually take place somewhere like a ranch in Wyoming where every writer gets to shoot a 13-inch pronghorn within a couple of days, there isn't much hunting involved--but there is plenty of space in the article to talk about the wonderful rifle. Quite often the rifle is only shot a few times before the hunt, with the ammo provided by the host company. (Lately, though, I have noticed a change in this magazine back toward its roots.)

On the other hand, there are some magazine publishers who do not follow the adverwhorial formula, either because of integrity or because they've seen what eventually happens to the magazines that slavishly follow it. There are also some writers who actually test firearms thoroughly before writing an article. They may not publish an article on a new product before everybody else, but the article they do published will have more information.

I happen to know one writer very well who will not test any rifle unless he has a wide variety of factory ammo or can handload for the rifle. He also doesn't go on very many "industry hunts," and if he does, he doesn't write an article just about that limited experience, but also tests the rifle (or scope, or bullet) thoroughly in other ways. And there are enough magazines that are interested in his articles that he can make a fair living at it. And I know several others who pretty much operate in the same way.

So, again, I both agree and disagree with your post.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well said, and needed to be said.

There never was a substitute for integrity. We all know writers that "stop" us from purchasing magazines, and others that make us reach for the wallet.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"I happen to know one writer very well who will not test any rifle unless he has a wide variety of factory ammo or can handload for the rifle. He also doesn't go on very many "industry hunts," and if he does, he doesn't write an article just about that limited experience, but also tests the rifle (or scope, or bullet) thoroughly in other ways. And there are enough magazines that are interested in his articles that he can make a fair living at it. And I know several others who pretty much operate in the same way."

I would think that writer would be a "Mule Deer".

Dew

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Dew!

Evidently "pinku" had a short career on the Campfire. His post and his user name are now gone!

John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Hi I'm looking at getting a Handi Rifle in the 500 smith and wesson caliber and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the gun, thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Irving,

Wecome to the Campfire!

You'd get more responses if you started a new thread on this subject, either here or in the "Hunting Rifles" forum.

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on Jim Rearden of Homer, Alaska? How he and his wife are doing up there, etc? I always thought it would be a pleasure to shake that man's hand and thank him for his writing.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In January 2010, Jim fell and seriously hurt himself. He is slowly recovering and I'm sure he would appreciate hearing from friends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Hi I'm looking at getting a Handi Rifle in the 500 smith and wesson caliber and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the gun, thanks

Do a search for: "Big Bore on the Cheap" A good read for you in the "Big Bores Only" Forum.

Always search first...........And Welcome!!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Carmichel does indeed make a wicked martini.

I bet me and him would get along,..provided he ain't one o'them dirty martini drinkers.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I haven't read the whole thread,..and I can't claim to actually know the man, but from his writings, I'd guess that Massad Ayoob is a very decent kind of fellow.

I especially like the fact that he's a writer for Backwoods Home Magazine

Lot's of good, down to earth stuff in his writings there.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 44 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.