Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, even the former "best" of the bunch is now far too much advertising, often in the guise of an article on what, how to, where and when, and too little serious content.

But, we have "the 'fire" and for me, anyway, that plus reloading manuals, is all I really want or need, now.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gun/Hunting magazines and TV shows are produced and staged for advertisement to promote sponsor products. Just like with NASCAR drivers/teams, they are competing for the sponsor's dollars. A gun/hunting personality who is likeable, has a solid background in the gun/hunting industry, and has a ton of character, is highly marketable as a pitchman/spokesperson for sponsors. It's a job, and if one doesn't get the job done, someone else will come along who the sponsor believes will better promote an increase in sales of their widgets.

This is nothing new, I collect old annual hunting journals, and I like to refer to one I have from 1955 which is comical in how the big name outdoorsman/writers of the day performed backflips to get words in for the sponsor products in about every paragraph from cover to cover. Pitchmen/Spokespersons may have greater skill today at their craft of pitching products, but nothing has changed with the intent to promote these products for the sponsor. It's a job.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Gun/Hunting magazines and TV shows are produced and staged for advertisement to promote sponsor products. Just like with NASCAR drivers/teams, they are competing for the sponsor's dollars. A gun/hunting personality who is likeable, has a solid background in the gun/hunting industry, and has a ton of character, is highly marketable as a pitchman/spokesperson for sponsors. It's a job, and if one doesn't get the job done, someone else will come along who the sponsor believes will better promote an increase in sales of their widgets.

This is nothing new, I collect old annual hunting journals, and I like to refer to one I have from 1955 which is comical in how the big name outdoorsman/writers of the day performed backflips to get words in for the sponsor products in about every paragraph from cover to cover. Pitchmen/Spokespersons may have greater skill today at their craft of pitching products, but nothing has changed with the intent to promote these products for the sponsor. It's a job.

Best smile

Actually, a lot has changed. Today many writers are paid directly to pitch products. When Petersen was alive and published HUNTING mag, that kind of activity would get you blacklisted pretty quickly.

The other big change is the proliferation of PR companies that take writers/outdoor communicators on hunts. That didn't exist back in 1955. When O'Connor first started writing for OL, the magazine paid for his hunts. Been a long time since that happened.

Last edited by LRNut; 10/12/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting read ,all. I have to admit that until joining this forum some few years ago I had really not heard of or read anything from any of these quite talented writers. That is rather astonishing since I have been intimately involved with firearms all my life which at this point is these last 79 years. I knew Jack O'Conner,Warren Page,Lucien Carey's writing well and corresponded with some of them at length,O'Conner and Carey being particularly responsible and encouraging of my attending Gunsmith School in the early 50's. I have read all the magazines mentioned here but until now never associated any writers names with them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Right away, some borborygmic fundament belched back that I was bragging.

I was reading this thread for the first time and learned not just one, but two new words today.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not 100% sure but I think he means a fart. Sorry, no Webster or Thesaurus on hand and my Droid stream can't handle dual sites.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey AussieGunWriter,

you need to let us all know here on the 'fire which magazines you write for....being a compatriot I woul dlike to read some of your scribes......all I know is your initials "JW" ....

You seem like a man who knows the Aussie hunting scene??

Gus

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gus,
I am not writing for the Aussie Mags lately.
I have been published in most of them including Australian Hunter's Journal which published the most, followed by Australian Hunters, Gunsports, Australian Shooter. NSW Deer Stalker, all the SCI Mags, maybe some manuals, and a couple more which changed their name.

John Woods

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
great! I have actually read quite a few of your articles in some quite old magazines that an uncle had. I have found your articles very well written and informative.

Cheers,
Gus

S
S
Wow! What a great thread. I think I've read just about every one of the scribes mentioned and, usually, liked them all. I think for pure non-BS, Jeff Cooper was the best.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JIMFORAL
I heard from Ken Warner a couple of years ago. He is in his early 80s and had just bought a house in a small burg in West Virginia. He has his own line of knives and is doing well.

You can find him a the local flea market and gunshows selling old copies of Gun Digest, knives, and rusted firearms (no kidding).

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't buy stock in so-called Gun Writers!! All the good ones are long dead!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was not aware that Mr. Barsness had passed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Interesting topic. Based on some of the responses I've received in this forum, I'd really like to know he qualifications of those that say they are gun writers. I'm not a gun writer but have hunted for 46 years in 13 states plus Canada. I've hunted squirrels to elk and much in between. My gun collection isn't the largest but is substantial (IMO). But, I do not consider myself to be an expert hunter, but rather a well informed hunter and firearm owner. I must say that I've learn a lot from many that post in this forum. There are a number of well informed people here. But, there's also a good number that unfortunately don't have a clue. I for one would like to know the qualifications of those that post here as "gun writers".

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
How about experience and acceptance by professional publishing companies with specialty magazine publishing and distribution in this, our chosen area of favor?

With respect, you are opening a can of worms here because everyone who is not a publisher will vary in what they presume is a qualification.

Everyone who is or has been an editor or publisher is looking for knowledge, experience, credibility in word presentation and supporting pics and hopefully the last 2 things would be professional presentation which minimizes the need for time in editing manuscripts and lastly, continuity, or the ability to keep it coming, encompassing all of the above.

Having a particular specialty in an area of technicality or experience is another plus.

I would be very interested in knowing your thoughts on qualifications, and I mean that sincerely, without malice.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
L
L
Interesting thread. I make some money from writing about guns but it's not hunting related (unfortunately). I'll watch and see how this progresses.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
7x7x7x7,

It was agreed, probably at least a decade ago, that any Campfire member could post on "Ask the Gunwriters," to enhance the exchange of information.

One great aspect of the Internet is that anybody can be a gun writer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One great aspect of the Internet is that anybody can be a gun writer.

Does that make us peers?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Peers to.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I may...

John and Travis,

Thank you for your wit and good humor.

Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
204 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.