Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have an older P22 and it was very sensitive about ammo at first. The owner's manual recommends CCI Mini-Mags only. When new it choked on Federal bulk ammo. I have had great success shooting Federal Automatch through it. As it has slicked up, it started digesting ammo that used to stove pipe in it.

GB1

K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Just spent the weekend with my seven year old Grandson at turkey camp.

Using my S&W 317 and Aguila Super Colibri ammo, he got very proficient with that gun by the end of weekend. The lightweight, 12 oz gun is so easy for a youngster to handle, but with the three in barrel, he was able to dial it in after about a dozen loadings. When we ran out of the Colibri ammo, he moved to standard .22 and did well with that too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
can't go wrong with a single six

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I started the older two daughters out with a bull barrel Ruger Mk I. They sat at a bench and I was right behind with arms around them for safety. When they became proficient, I backed off a little, but not much. It was the only .22 that I had.

Along the way, I acquired one of the before mentioned Savage single shots. Started daughter three with that. Then moved to the Ruger. The Savage is a great starter. The oldest granddaughter is ready to start there.

If you need to go purchase new, look at the S & W 4" kit gun, the Bearcat, or a Ruger SP101 4". The second two are more friendly to wallets. The first is the Caddy and can be tuned into a Rolls. Know what? My Bearcat became really sweet with a trigger job.

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 04/30/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well finally have an update. Was in Cabelas today and bought a Heritage Rough Rider. Came with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders, with a 4 3/4 in barrel. Was not going to be my original purchase. But after much thought I like the idea of my girls having to take time between each shot. Gun has A good feel to it, fits well in your hand, and my daughter said "We got a cowboy gun!"

So hopefully in the next couple weeks we can make it to the range and put some rounds down range.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've found life is a lot more fun when you walk around packing 9 1/2"s.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's your shoe size, right?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's the length of my barrel.

Hint.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are centimeters on the side of the ruler you're using.

By the way, wash that ruler before you put it back in the drawer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The only real drawback is it constantly banging against the side of my leg when I'm hunting.

Travis

IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As others have stated, I started my kids out YOUNG. 4 years old with a Beretta Model 21a. Back in the day, it was just called a Model 21a. I think that they call it a Bobcat now.

As they got older, they moved up the ladder to a High Standard Supermatic Citation .22, Then to a .32 auto, then to the 6" stainless Colt .357 magnum.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most folks control that issue by wearing pants. I suppose that's optional way out West.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, I'm in favor of revolvers for training new shooters, but using them introduces the potential for whoopsies while lowering the hammer. A semi-auto, single loaded to start, might be the safest option for real novices.

Like somebody said, keeping a sharp eye on the shooter at all times is crucial until muzzle awareness becomes ingrained in their brain. For some folks, apparently, that never happens. A good portion of the bozos that have violated my personal safety zone with their weaponry have been older know-it-alls.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm first starting the Grandkids with my Model 34 (4")

My BearCat (after modification) shoots to POA but the sights are tiny. VERY hard to hit small targets.

I have a Beretta Cheetah that's also about their size.

I have a Ruger Standard (semi-auto) with a Red Dot that I'm going to let them shoot.

I have a Model 18 (4") that the older one can handle.

If I was buying a new one I'd check out the Ruger SR-22. It's an inexpensive, small framed semi-auto.

Be Safe!!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I also have a Ruger SR 22. Excellent pistol!! After a few hundred rounds it broke in very nicely, and shoots most any ammo reliably!!

Kevlars

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.