Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Claudia and I spent the last nine days in Hawaii. Two days in Waikiki and then a 7-day cruise around the islands. I didn't post before leaving because I never announce on the internet that the house will be empty.

But I'm back now, almost ready to be my usual self - pest or pal. I'll post some pix and tell tales after the time change wears off and the floor stops moving.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet you didn't eat anything adventurous or exciting wink Welcome back Rocky.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Glad you made it back alright, Rocky. Looking forward to seeing some photos!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking forward to the pics. Wife and I are going on the same cruise later in the year. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'll post some pix and tell tales after the time change wears off and the floor stops moving.

Hmm. On a water you were, I take it? wink Cool! Look forward to hearing and seeing more.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Keith, I was amazed that it was so hard to ferret out any truly "local" food. I did manage to get a loco moko breakfast once (awesome) and finally found a hole-in-the-wall joint in Kona that offered poke (pronounced PO-kay) thanks to a local guy who gave us directions. I had the ahi OG poke - which is yellowfin tuna sashimi with onion and herbs served with seaweed salad and rice. You get about a cup of the tuna for eight dollars - which would run you right up near a hundred bucks in a big city sushi place, triple that in Tokyo! While we ate, they rolled in a 100-pounder fresh from the dock - talk about fresh seafood!

hasbeen, PM me if you want any tips.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Big blue water, kg. Pretty pacific, though. Nothing over about eight feet at the worst, and usually half that. Big boat, too.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Big blue water, kg. Pretty pacific, though. Nothing over about eight feet at the worst, and usually half that. Big boat, too.

Eight foot seas are nothing to sneeze at, especially if they come at you stacked closely and/or with anything other than in a following sea.

Look forward to hearing more.

Edit: 8 is a bit different from 80 blush

Last edited by kamo_gari; 04/26/15.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife has been pestering me to go for years but I just can't get there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
kg, the cruise ship is 957 feet long and 80,000 tons. Kinda makes eight-foot seas into a mill pond.

Still working through all the photos. Darn hard to pare down to a few extra-good ones, but I will.

EdM, we've now been on two: Alaska and Hawaii. Both were superb; expensive but worth it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed, mine talked me in to it. But we don't travel like you do.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
kg, the cruise ship is 957 feet long and 80,000 tons. Kinda makes eight-foot seas into a mill pond.

Ah, I see... I was thinking fishing boat. Never mind. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad it was you...and not me! I don't plan on going anywhere....without being able to 'tote iron'!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sharps, they don't even allow a pocket knife on the cruise ships. Frankly, Hawaii is pretty safe. I never felt a single second of concern, even in Honolulu with its HUGE homeless population. That place is crawling with police, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
glad you had a great time Rocky. I have never been there. Maybe some day...........

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good call on keeping quiet about going on holiday Rocky. It never ceases to amaze me the things some people post on Facebook about going on vacation. It's like putting a sign in their front yard saying: "Nobody's home for a week, help yourself!"

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sounds like a heck of a good time, I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for supporting our local economy. Poke and Ogo seaweed is a local favorite, so is locomoco(fried hamburger patty and egg over rice with brown gravey. Another favorite is Spam Musubi - a piece of fried spam over a rectangular block of black seaweed wrapped rice. If you ever get to Molokai - drop by my small shop: Mel Chung

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You get about a cup of the tuna for eight dollars - which would run you right up near a hundred bucks in a big city sushi place, triple that in Tokyo!

Fearing sounding contrary here but, well, not necessarily the case, friend. As backwards as it sounds, sushi in general and tuna specifically in Tokyo is often far, far cheaper than what is offered stateside. Take this place, for example. Top left 'set', as they call it, featuring tuna, with some 75 pieces of sushi, is priced at ~$28.00.

[Linked Image]

I wish, and hard, I could get the kind of quality, variety and price here that is available in Tokyo. In any case, sounds great and glad you and the missus enjoyed. Good times!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I happily stand corrected, kg. I was going by what I'd seen on travel shows.

Funny thing, I saw Spam Musubi for sale exactly once, while at the USS Missouri. And I wanted to try it, but had to hurry for the bus.

In fact, the lack of the promised "local foods" promised by the ship was my major disappointment. With the exception of fresh pineapple, there was nothing but standard US foods. They were good, but when I travel to Hawaii I don't want to eat the same things I could find in Iowa. Such fare shouldn't be the only thing offered (I realize there are folks who are timid eaters) but they could at least have offered more adventurous choices to those who want it.

Photos coming today. Still adjusting to the time shift...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.