Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
.20 VarTarg. Best of both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Get a CZ in .17 Fireball--it will do anything the .221 will, but better.

However, I must also point out that the Hornet does 80-90% of what the .221 does, while using only 2/3 as much powder. I know this from shooting a .221 for a number of years. Don't own one anymore.

We can go on and on in this debate, but the OP wanted to know about the .22 Hornet, not everybody's opinion on what might be better. Of course, many Campfire threads never address the original question. Instead the answers are all about the posters, not the question.

It was just food for thought.
Sorry,,, next time I'll check with you before voicing my opinion or sharing my experience.

Still wouldn't go out and buy a brand new rifle in 22H though.
If I ran across something like Schraps M70 then sure,,, I'd shoot it and enjoy it for what it is but that's where my interest in the 22H ends.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The most accurate hornet i have owed is the Browning A-Bolt Micro

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
FieldGrade,

I apologize for being a little abrupt, but so many answers here are like yours, telling the OP that he's basically FOS, and should do something else entirely.

Why does it always have to be either/or on the Campfire? For all we know, he may already own a .221, and may just want to try something else.

And why can't we own both? Many of us take a lot of pleasure in hauling half a dozen rifles in various chamberings on a prairie dog shoot. I've owned (and shot considerably) a bunch of different rifles in various chamberings, including all the commercial varmint rounds presently available except for the .17 Winchester super whatsis rimfire (and am thinking bout buying one), along with some wildcats, and gotten pleasure from all of them.

Some I've liked better than others, which is why I no longer own a .221, or a .220 Swift, or a few others, but am constantly trying stuff, which is why I came to the conclusion that the .17 Fireball is superior to the .221. The .20 Varget is another I've been thinking about, but have tried Jim Calhoon's .19's and kinda feel like I've been there and done that already.

But I'm NOT going to get on a thread like this and say "Get a ....." instead, which is what so often happens here: Somebody asks about some cartridge, rifle or scope, and 17 people say there are 17 other cartridges, rifles and scopes far better, without even knowing whether the OP had tried them already.

You could also have said the .222 Remington will do anything the .221 Fireball will do, but better, or the .17 Hornet will do anything the .22 Hornet will do, but better. You may even have been correct, but he was asking about experiences with the .22 Hornet, not other cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muddy22
Mine is an 1885 Miroku LW with a Lee Shaver $35 trigger job, none better. Muddy

I need to take mine up to him for this trigger job. He's only about 20 miles from where I sit right now. Only thing I've killed with my 1885 Hornet is a ground hog. Called coyotes several times with it but none cooperated.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had 22hornet since before I was born, no really my dad bought an old savage 219 when my mom was pregnant with me, his excuse was "it's for our son" I was a teenager when he really gave it to me. I love the little round. It was my first varmit caliber and I can't tell you how many groundhogs and crows I killed with the little single shot. It was also my first calling rifle and worked well on many a fox. Even took a few fall turkey with it. Mine was made in the late 30s and the bore is .223 so I only shoot the hornaday 45gr. SP and they only produce them once in a blue moon. I have shot the 35gr vmax out of another 219 we have that has a .224 bore. They are pretty explosive on crow and blackbirds. That all being said, I'm really liking my newest cz in .17hornet, I would never get rid of the 219 but I would go with the .17 over the 22 hornet if there was a choice.
There's my 2cents for what it's worth (bout a penny)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
FieldGrade,

I apologize for being a little abrupt, but so many answers here are like yours, telling the OP that he's basically FOS, and should do something else entirely.

Why does it always have to be either/or on the Campfire? For all we know, he may already own a .221, and may just want to try something else.

And why can't we own both? Many of us take a lot of pleasure in hauling half a dozen rifles in various chamberings on a prairie dog shoot. I've owned (and shot considerably) a bunch of different rifles in various chamberings, including all the commercial varmint rounds presently available except for the .17 Winchester super whatsis rimfire (and am thinking bout buying one), along with some wildcats, and gotten pleasure from all of them.

Some I've liked better than others, which is why I no longer own a .221, or a .220 Swift, or a few others, but am constantly trying stuff, which is why I came to the conclusion that the .17 Fireball is superior to the .221. The .20 Varget is another I've been thinking about, but have tried Jim Calhoon's .19's and kinda feel like I've been there and done that already.

But I'm NOT going to get on a thread like this and say "Get a ....." instead, which is what so often happens here: Somebody asks about some cartridge, rifle or scope, and 17 people say there are 17 other cartridges, rifles and scopes far better, without even knowing whether the OP had tried them already.

You could also have said the .222 Remington will do anything the .221 Fireball will do, but better, or the .17 Hornet will do anything the .22 Hornet will do, but better. You may even have been correct, but he was asking about experiences with the .22 Hornet, not other cartridges.

No harm done.
I too dislike it when someone goes completely off track and if you'll go back and look, you'll see I seldom do that.
I only made an exception this time because the OP is a friend from this and a couple of other forums and I would never encourage a friend to buy a modern firearm in 22H when there are so many better options out there for his intended use.

I could have probably worded it better but hey,,, I'm a Carpenter,,, not a wordsmith.

All that said,,,,,, would this be the wrong time to bring up the 19Badger.

Yea,,,, I didn't think so. eek

gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight Charlie.

Sound advice goes a LONG WAYS. I wasn't trying to stir anything up. Most of the guys that have replied on this thread are guys that I can honestly trust their opinions and tutoring.

There are some on the 24 that can really rub you the wrong way. I didn't see any of that here.

I'll try to do some more homework.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My Hornet is a Kimber of Oregon 82 Custom Classic. Picked it up used about 30 years ago. Beautiful rifle, great shooter with 45, 46 grain stuff, but doesn't like the lighter 30-35 grain loads that I've tried. They show up for sale now and then, but won't be cheap if you find one.

IC B3

gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight Charlie.

Sound advice goes a LONG WAYS. I wasn't trying to stir anything up. Most of the guys that have replied on this thread are guys that I can honestly trust their opinions and tutoring.

There are some on the 24 that can really rub you the wrong way. I didn't see any of that here.

I'll try to do some more homework.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bea175

Mine, too. It will be one of the last rifles to leave my possession.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bea175

I have to agree with this. I got mine, having read all the horror stories, figuring I had all summer to fool around trying to find a load that was accurate enough make it worth keeping. Right out of the box it shot 2 factory loads into dime size groups, and I was able to repeat that with the first two handloads I tried without and issues. It almost left me disappointed that it was so easy to get 1/2" groups.

A-bolts get a bad rap around here but I've had nothing but positives with the 2 I've owned.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love the Browning A-Bolts in any cal , the real sleeper in the gun world for accuracy right out of the box.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gonzaga: Just a heads up - 22 Hornet brass is almost impossible to find. After searching for months I had to buy Privi factory loads and shoot them for the brass.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep it took me almost 3 years to get a total of 700, from numerous sources and of a wide range of ages and brands. Now have enough for a decent weekend of gopher shootin. Muddy

gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well since I can't seem to find one at a decent price.....I might be [bleep] outta luck.....lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Cz would be a goos choice.. As for the 16 twist. It's too slow and I find that any thing over 40 gr won't shoot well. I will someday do a fast twist hornet and see how it does..

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
MY old 219, I just gave it to my niece for her first varmint rifle. It is very accurate with Win 46gr HP over Lilgun, I was never able to get any other bullets to shoot as well.

[Linked Image]

I keep thinking another one is needed but a repeater this time.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CZ,browning,and ruger 22 hornets in my safe.All are tack drivers.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.