Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So last summer I had a little "mishap" while cutting down a tree which resulted in separating my right AC joint and an injury to my TFCC in my right (shooting) wrist. The AC injury healed up pretty quick and I was back shooting rifles in almost no time with no residual pain. My wrist, however, proved to be slower to heal. Towards the end of the fall I was able to shoot my 10mm's with full house loads without much pain at all. I'd be sore for a day or two after, so I decided to lay off shooting handguns entirely until I could manipulate my wrist without any pain at all. Well that time finally came about a month ago. I've been out shooting my various semi's without any pain after. So I've decided tomorrow will be the real test. I've been paining to take my Freedom Arms 475L to the range for a few months now. Planning to try that tomorrow with some factory hornady loads (400gr XTP @ 1300fps from the muzzle), creating some empty brass to load up some light cast loads with some HS6 with. Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post up tomorrow eve and maybe even be able to type up a post without any pain!

Wish me luck!

Brandon Gleason
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well, good luck and be careful.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Will do. Not really interested in having my wrist surgically repaired, so my threshold for stopping will be rather low. My sister in law (an orthopedic surg PA) is shocked I healed up to the point I'm pain free. She was trying to get me on the table right after it happened.

Brandon Gleason
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Good luck!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Given your situation I would start with mild loads not factory Hornady. If you need some brass to get going let me know.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the offer, Ed. I had 10 rounds left of a box and shot those up today without any pain. Just got up from my reloading bench after turning those 20 pieces of brass into some light loads I gleaned off here (I believe from you) of 420gr LFNGC's from Beartooth Bullets and 13gr of HS-6, ignited with a win LP primer. Hoping to get back to the range tomorrow if my schedule allows, if not next week to give them a go. I'm guessing they're going to be a lot more comfortable to shoot!

Brandon Gleason
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes that is my preferred load and you should be, cautiously, fine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brandon,

I worked with the fellas that created the term "TFCC" and did a fair amount of wrist biomechanics studies in a former life. I'd take things really slow and be cautious as you stated.

I'm not an MD but there could still be some level of joint laxity and heavy axial loads might make this worse. There is always the possibility that increased laxity leads to cartilage degeneration. This sucks. We had many people donate their bodies to science, many with severe cartilage degradation. I can only imagine the pain... and desire to help others by donating their bodies to science.

Most people don't realize how important normal wrist function is during daily activities. Its great that you have recovered.

Jason

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.