Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am interested in getting my first ar 15 for a fun blaster/hunting rifle/ possible fun competition gun.

I found two for sale locally. One is a used mp 15 sport for 450 and the other is a colt le 6920 for 775.

Is the colt worth almost twice the price of the sport?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes to me it would be, the Colt barrel is a chromed 1-7 barrel, different steel I think also.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MP Sport is no Colt

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LE-6920 for $775? You have your answer right there. Do not pass that up.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What is the mystique around the Colt? I bought a used MP Sport for $475 last fall and have been quite happy with it. Shoots 1.5 MOA with cheap PMC FMJ ammo. Feeds and ejects every time. Mags go in easy, stay in when supposed to, and drop when supposed to. What am I missing? It's a 16" AR. What is the performance criteria where the Colt is better than the M&P? Really just curious. I'm happy with my rifle other than the single stage trigger which sucks on every factory AR I've tried.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 79inpa

Is the colt worth almost twice the price of the sport?

Probably not, but it's a known quality and standard.

The M&P Sport is an entry level AR, should shoot and function just fine. 99% of the weekend shooters on here would not be able to tell the difference. No dust cover, and no forward assist, and a non-profiled barrel, IE, it doesn't look like an M-4 barrel.

Colt has a strong following in the AR world, and their resale value tends to hold higher than other brands in the entry and mid-level market. The LE 6920 should have the front side sling, and the Rogers stock on the back end. The Colt barrel may be a bit more enduring over time to abuse and wear, but that is about the only difference IMHO.

Last edited by AH64guy; 04/27/15.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Either will serve as an AR, but if I wanted to have one that is well known and accepted as a standard and I thought I'd really shoot it a lot I'd buy the Colt.

Unless, in its used state, it's been abused. Then you'd just have to examine them and decide.

By the way, you'll likely never use the forward assist on the Colt. But I think the dust cover is useful.

Retired cat herder.

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to use it and abuse it and "put it away wet" (so to speak) then you want the Colt. The Smith MP sport is not in the same class as far as quality of steels and the other things mentioned such as the dust cover and forward assist. The extra money is worth it to me between a Sport and the 6920. Now if it was one of Smith's other higher-end carbines I don't think the gap is nearly as big. But the chrome lined 1:7" bbl and FA/M16 bolt carrier group that is properly staked is well worth the extra dollars. That is a great price on the colt even if the round count is higher than the Smith.

I don't think Smith makes bad AR's though. The Sport definitely serves a purpose in the market I think. The Sport is an amazing step ahead of the sh#$@y polymer receiver ARs out there for more money than $450. If its a Sport for $450 vs not buying an AR I'd say its definitely money well spent.

Have fun.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this is a red hearing argument. the 6920 is a basic ar 15, yes its got milspec parts, keep in mind in many cases mil spec isn't as good for your uses. The other is if you use your gun enough for the extra quailty of the colt parts to come into play. Your going to want the gun built your way and with the parts you choose on it. Most people don't shoot an ar 15 enough to warrant all the mpi and ubber inspected parts. in their case a del ton or whatever basic run of the mill ar 15 is just fine. If they do shoot more your going to want the gun setup your way. The 6920 in my mind doesn't serve either party well, its a waste of money for the hobbiest, and its too basic for the serious shooter.

frankly how far ar 15 parts have come in recent years I think the era of the name brand gun is coming to a close. I have put together some guns with random parts that were cheap and put my money into the barrel, trigger, and float tube. never had ANY reliability issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used to me is a crap shoot. But dollar value new, I would go with the Smith. Who cares about barrel profile? Both are cro-mo barrels. Smith has plenty of experience building firearms, why the upturned noses? I always saw mil-spec as a minimum standard not the end all.
I also still have not seen definitive proof the Smith Sport is any less than the Colt.
I have a Sport it is solid, tight fitting, smooth and plenty accurate. Round count is +1000. The only mod is a ambi safety, JP spring kit and a Nikon scope.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

79inpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
other than finish wear how will I know if the colt or smith has been abused?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If your just buying a blaster why worry if one has been heavily used or not? Just get the $450 gun and go have fun, if it does not work just sell it and buy another!

If you buy the Colt and want to make sure it has not been ragged out pull off the hand guards and look at the gas tube, if its black or discolored up towards the gas block its been pretty hot.

The Colt should have a shiny chrome lined barrel, not sure what a smith and wesson barrel looks like. Colt may have better parts in it, but for what you want the gun for its probably not worth the extra money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind buying a used shotgun or a used handgun, but a used AR is quite a crap shoot IMO. Who knows what idiot has swapped parts, filed down the trigger, or tried to burn the barrel out with a slide fire stock.

You can buy a new M&P for right around $600, and a new Colt for around $900 if you shop around on Gunbroker or the net.
Personally, I'd rather spend a little more money and buy a new AR-15, then I know what I'm getting. I've got new S&W AR's and new Colt AR's and have been very pleased with the performance of both brands.
If I knew I would be betting my life on a AR, I'd go with the Colt. If you want to plink and hunt with an AR, buy the M&P AR and enjoy it.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/27/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mil spec is a minimum basic gun, hobby guns don't meet mil spec in materials used, anodizing and parkerizing, testing and assembly.

If you're gonna build a gun to use, start with a good foundation. If you want to just say you have an AR, buy whatever you like.

The Smith is not the worst you could buy but it is their cheapest model. To put it another way, would you buy a Remington 700 or would you be happy with a 770?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
buy the best tools that you can afford, you will never regret it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
buy the best tools that you can afford, you will never regret it.

This ^

Pretty much my motto on everything unless I'm knowingly buying a throwaway for a 1 time/ short term use.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive AR these days.
There's a high probability the $450 S&W will be accurate and reliable. In the off chance the rifle has a problem, it should be cheap and simple to correct.

Last edited by night_owl; 04/28/15.

abusus non tollit usum
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bet either one you buy you would be happy with in the end

If I were buying it and the Colt was nice I would step up for it
but no stink on the S&W I believe
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't buy either of those used guns at those prices. New M&P Sports can be had for $550 and new Colt 6720s or 6721s can be had for $800.

If the Colt is worth $250 more is your call and would depend entirely on how much you plan on shooting it. If you're considering the Sport, I'd guess you'll be perfectly happy with it and it'll serve you just fine.

Personally, the lack of a dust cover is a deal killer for me. How else are you supposed to keep all the oil and crud off your truck seat?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.