-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have what may be a dumb question. I just ordered some Ultra Bore Coat to try from the Gear Shop. I thought I'd get a head start and start cleaning the rifles. I usually clean with a Sinclair bore guide.

Should I clean without to make sure I'm not missing the area right in from of the guide, or does it matter?

Also, when I apply the product, do I do it without the bore guide to coat the chamber, or is it just for the bore?

I searched for a thread about how to apply and found one with JB's instructions and it didn't mention a bore guide, so maybe it doesn't matter, I just want to make sure I apply it right so I don't waste my time or the cost of the the purchase.

Thanks

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the bore guide. You'll be stroking in the bore and every time a rod hits barrel metal, that's not "good." As long as the patch or brush is able to contact the throat, you are doing fine.
Don't coat the chamber. In fact, I'd take special caution to make sure nothing spills in the chamber. It might help if you set yourself up to point the rifle down enough to make sure everything leaks out the muzzle -- down 20 degrees at least, even 45 degrees would be better -- and if that's unusual for you, the bore guide will help you.
Sinclairs have the O rings, right? That's a good thing.
I'd carefully use a long Q-tip or swab to make sure the neck area and shoulder are "reasonably" clean of any spillage. Before you put the sauce in, practice how far you will need to poke in the swap to catch the excess.
Good luck.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, the Sinclair rods have the o-ring.
I'll get them clean and have them ready for when the Bore coat arrives.
Thanks!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've cut the head off a brass case and used that to keep DBC out of the chamber, swabbing it out with a bore mop afterwards just to be sure. Then I saw where JB said he used an empty brass in the chamber and applied DBC from the muzzle, much more simple.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It won't hurt anything if a little gets in the chamber or throat area. It comes out as white powder on the cases for the first few shots, and does not get cured by the heat and pressure from bullets and hot, pressurized gases passing over, like the coating in the bore does.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never thought about it but do run a patch up to the shoulder after installing the DBC. Have done probably 10 barrels and never had any problem chamber wise. Muddy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.