Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
For North American game excluding big bears.

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

Posters to the OP question Actually should read the OP Question !!
Answer the question and NOT wander off on another tangent !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5'10" 210 lbs, and I put a little over a 1000 rounds thru my '06 last summer. Never thought I would be accused of compensating for something, because I shoot a 30-06.

Not because you shoot an '06 old boy, but because you bloviate. wink

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bcraig

Is there anything it does that a say 270 or similar, smaller caliber, lighter recoiling rifle will not do?

What say you?

Posters to the OP question Actually should read the OP Question !!
Answer the question and NOT wander off on another tangent !

The answer is no.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anybody that thinks the .270 kicks less is crazy, or has a far more sensitive shoulder than mine. In fact, I've generally found my .270s a lot more unpleasant to shoot than any 30-06 because they are overbore and seem to have a lot more muzzle blast.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JoeBob,Are your 270 and 30-06 the same rifles?
For example ,Remington 700 same style,same material stock ?
Same weight,same recoil pad ?

Are you comparing a 130 Grain 270 Winchester to a 150 Grain 30-06
Or are you comparing a 150 grain 270 winchester to a 150 Grain 30-06?

Last edited by bcraig; 04/27/15.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Using your logic, a .308" 220g bullet is "not the best for hunting" either. Very few people choose them because they are slow (around 2500fps), generate a lot of recoil (about 25 ft-lbs) and have a B.C. about that of a cement block.

The BC of 220 class bullets is the reason people use them; the Berger 215 is .696, the Lapua 220 is .647, hardly cement block territory. The Berger 230 goes .743.

Last edited by smokepole; 04/27/15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
JoeBob,Are your 270 and 30-06 the same rifles?
For example ,Remington 700 same style,same material stock ?
Same weight,same recoil pad ?

Are you comparing a 130 Grain 270 Winchester to a 150 Grain 30-06
Or are you comparing a 150 grain 270 winchester to a 150 Grain 30-06?

No, I've never had the luxury of having two rifles EXACTLY alike but in different calibers. But every .270 I've ever had kicked more and was MUCH louder than any 30-06 I've ever had.

I don't notice a 30-06 kicking much at all until you get up to hot 180 grain hand loads. For me, from .243 to 30-06 150s it is all pretty much the same, EXCEPT for the .270s I have owned. Probably more to do with noise than anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Laffin', run comparable bullets and it will mean something.

125 AB .366
130 AB .435

Even if running a .277" 130AB the .30-06/125g AB maintains better than a 3" advantage in drop at 500 yards with a slight edge in velocity. The .270 has an equally slight edge in energy at that range.

In the best case the difference isn't much to hang your hat on, which is the point I was trying to make.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really have no use for it myself. I hunt thick steep areas and the shorter the rifle, the better. I tend to stick to shorter cartridges with short actions. Same with shotguns. When I was a kid, I could not wait to get a pump shotgun and put the break open in the closet. It did not take me long to sell the pump. Nothing wrong with the 30-06, just not for my style of hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our 'managed recoil load' for the '06 load a 125 grain Sierra SP over enough H4895 to give it 2750 fps. Not objectionable at all to shoot and last year, I watched one drop a fat doe like a stone at 150 yards.

If I wanted a varmint load, I'd goose the 125 grain Nosler BT to about 3400 and call it good. I have always just shot coyotes and groundhogs with my regular hunting load (150 at 2900) and just like the deer, they never complain. Apparently critters don't read long-winded Innernet arguments about what constitutes 'too much gun' LOL

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/27/15.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn,t say that the 110-125 grain bullets out of the 30-06 are overkill but that is just an oppinion as is your oppinion that they are.
The comparison to the 30-30 ?

Opinions vary. I don't need a fast .308" 110g bullet to take down antelope or small deer. If "overkill = way more than needed", yeah, I think "overkill". I've taken antelope with bullets from 100g to 235g in calibers from .257" to .375" All loads were "way more than needed".

Many people consider a .30-30/150g load to be nearly ideal for their needs. The comparison of the .30-06/125g was just to demonstrate that "not the best for hunting" load has 10x the effective range of loads some people are quite happy with.

OP specificly said excluding the Big Bears so any comparison between the cartridges for bears is moot.

He did say that. That doesn't mean a a 220g bullet can't be considered. Some people use them for elk and moose and who knows what else. A 220g at 2200-2300fps won't have a lot of recoil but is a bugger to stop. Game wouldn't like it at all.

And, as I said, IF I was hunting big bears, a 220g bullet would be of considerable interest.

Never said that it was time to throw out all the 30-06 rifles

You did not and that remark was not directed at you in particular.

The fact that what most people do has never mattered to you and that you Zeroed a good friends Sons rifle for him and the the son was able to take his first elk with it using Managed recoil load has absolutely nothing to do with the op question.

No? would a smaller cartridge have done any better? Just pointing out that a "not the best for hunting" load seems to have worked fine.

You only listed part of the op question.
The Question from the Op was for big game other than Big Bears

The OP Did NOT ask about
Versatility
AMMO availability AMMO prices
Downloading a 30-06

When considering various cartridges, these are attributes many people also consider in addition to ballistics. I once bought a handgun and it was 3 months before I could get components or ammo to shoot it. When I bought my .375 Winchester I waited 6 months for component brass. A gun you can't shoot is just a conversation piece.

But to address those issues
Versatitily-the 270 Winchester for example with the right loads can be used for Varmints to the Largest game in NA as well as the 30-06

Thanks, but if hunting big bears I'd take a .30-06/220g Partition before I'd take anything in a .270. Even if not hunting big bears, a 220g Partition makes sense if hunting in big bear country.

Ammo Availability- In the first place Midway USA is not the only place to buy ammo,In the second place Just how Many loads does one need for big game?
A man can only shoot one load at a time out of his rifle !
And I suspect for the 270 Winchester as well as other cartridges that a person can find an a Factory load for the game animal they choose to hunt.
In addition Bullets for the 270 Winchester and again enough bullets for other calibers can be found that are suitable for the game being hunted.

The point is that with more options available there is a greater likelihood of finding suitable .30-06 ammo when you need it.

No, Midway isn't the only place to buy ammo. In fact, I've never bought ammo from them. But their selection is pretty good and they provide the numbers on types of ammo available - you don't have to go in and try to count them.

Ammo Prices- is really a moot point considering the amount of factory Ammo shot in getting ready to and shooting big game animals.
That having been said I have many times seen 270 Winchester priced as cheap and sometimes cheaper than 30-06 ammo.

Ammo prices are moot to some, not to others. Many people pick up whatever is cheap - because it is cheap.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't think I've ever seen .270 ammo as cheap as bulk .30-06 ammo. Not that I would hunt with such ammo, but I would practice with it.

When Daughter #2 got married I got a rifle as a wedding present for her husband. Knowing I handload, Daughter #2 expressed concern to my wife about whether or not her new hubby would be able to afford factory ammo. She was quite relieved when I informed her it was a .30-06.

The 30-06 being the last rifle you would let go ?
I could definetly have a 30-06 for a one rifle big game rifle for everything but the Big bears and would not have an issue doing so.
I like the 30-06
HOWEVER
the 270 Winchester Will be fine for every thing else and Kick me less in the process.

And THAT is EXACTLY what the OP asked !

Yup, if I had to trim down to a single rifle my Ruger MKII stainless boat paddle .30-06 rifle would be the keeper.

For someone choosing their first rifle, most people would be wise to consider the questions of factory cartridge ballistics, cartridge versatility and ammo availability, variety and prices. Handloaders need to consider component availability and price.

Recoil is just one attribute to consider. There isn't a lot of difference in the field once the bullet is launched - most cartridges will work most of the time if the bullet is properly placed. When things go wrong, that is when the differences can come into play.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/27/15. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Using your logic, a .308" 220g bullet is "not the best for hunting" either. Very few people choose them because they are slow (around 2500fps), generate a lot of recoil (about 25 ft-lbs) and have a B.C. about that of a cement block.

The BC of 220 class bullets is the reason people use them; the Berger 215 is .696, the Lapua 220 is .647, hardly cement block territory. The Berger 230 goes .743.

Point taken. I was thinking classic RN (about .300) and Partition (.351) bullets.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

What say you?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by moosemike
5'10" 210 lbs, and I put a little over a 1000 rounds thru my '06 last summer. Never thought I would be accused of compensating for something, because I shoot a 30-06.

Bloviate? Its probably because my balls produces testosterone and your ovaries produce estrogen and your a little sensitive and hormonal right now. Hows that for bloviate.

If the 30-06 hurts your vagina then don't shoot it. Belittling me won't make me think any more of you, so save your typing fingers, as I could care less how you feel about me or the big hard recoiling 30-06.

Last edited by logdog; 04/27/15.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Still looking?

Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SLM
I haven't seen one person say the /06 has to much recoil so they don't use it, or seen anybody say anything about bolt throw either.

Have used an /06 quit a bit and agree with many that my 308's recoil less. I have been unable to see a difference between the 2 on animals, so why put up with more recoil?

You are an idiot...

Originally Posted by SLM
Are you still angry you can't produce a single pic of anything you've killed with an /06?

Come on, post one pic of you and anything you've killed.

Where'd you run off to again?

Find any pics yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logdog
Originally Posted by moosemike

Bloviate? Its probably because my balls produces testosterone and your ovaries produce estrogen and your a little sensitive and hormonal right now. Hows that for bloviate.

If the 30-06 hurts your vagina then don't shoot it. Belittling me won't make me think any more of you, so save your typing fingers, as I could care less how you feel about me or the big hard recoiling 30-06.

Does your Mom know you're not in bed yet? It is a school night after all. PS, I've been using the .30-06 since before you were born. wink

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Oh, bloviate me.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

Oh, bloviate me.
Your so awesome.... You and moosemike ought to tie your dicks together and get married. Maybe get a couple of matching 270's or .243's...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doglog, get busy on your homework and pop those unsightly zits before bedtime.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've killed squirrels, grouse, turkey, deer, bear, moose, mtn goat, pigs, crows, coyotes, wolves and God knows what else with a 30/06.

I've not fired one in anger in over 10 years. Not that I don't think it's a good cartridge but I've found that good enough is good enough. There are enough better bullets that work in much smaller cartridges that I'll likely never use one again unless chasing moose or going to Africa.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

428 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,217
Posts18,447,403
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.