24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was on a combo Hunt in Northern BC, when I took my moose.....

Using my 300RUM and 200AB on that Hunt.

Shot a big bull and nice Billy on that hunt.

I wanted a heavier bullet, than my normal 180 Scirocco load, only because the area I was hunting was crawling with grizzlies....just in case.

Did end up seeing 7 on the Hunt, including a sow with cubs crossing the trail in front of us.

That was a tad on the sporty side....

Tony

BP-B6

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Just a sample of one, but believe that you're making a generalization about the 'eastern thinking' as I live in PA and in the event that I make it out west to hunt elk, it would be with a 270....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by kcm270
The least important thing about your elk hunt is typically the caliber, but it's one that gets a lot of emphasis and questions.

Shot placement and good bullets are more important, but the most important things about your elk hunt typically include how to find them, and how to get them off the mountain.

This x 1,000.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sandpit
I have to ask this,I'm from eastern orygun.why is it when most folks on here talk about coming out west to hunt they automatically think they need a magnum rifle?i don't understand the eastern thinking here
.....................That thinking from the east is probably because they think they need a more powerful magnum for extra down range killing power for elk along with having flatter trajectories for those longer open country distances should those situations present themselves. Imo, it is more of a "I need (or want) some extra assurance" thing.

And if a magnum happens to be in their (east of the Mississipi) safe, then why not!....Magnum needed? Probably not. Magnum wanted? Yup.

Magnumititus for the most part is more of a want rather than a need, especially for those who are more intrigued by the more powerful boomers who can handle them.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Just a sample of one, but believe that you're making a generalization about the 'eastern thinking' as I live in PA and in the event that I make it out west to hunt elk, it would be with a 270....

Yep. Generalization is not a good thing. The 'magnum craze' was not an Eastern thing. I remember reading Boddington in the 80s and 90s, and how the 338WM, 8mmRM, etc. were so much better for elk and the 375 H&H minimal for the "big bears". Can't count how many times where a gun writer opined the 270Win as "marginal" for elk.

Wasn't true then, and definitely not true now with modern bullets.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....the whole Weatherby thing started in California.....not east of the Mississippi.

Just making an observation. whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My two most recent Oregon bulls fell to a single 140 grain Partition apiece from a T3 in 7mm-08. Both DRT.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know that Partitions and Tikka's don't work...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

You're one of the few. Almost every Pennsylvanian I've ever known that went west for Elk took a magnum. And 90% took 300's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I have to ask this,I'm from eastern orygun.why is it when most folks on here talk about coming out west to hunt they automatically think they need a magnum rifle?i don't understand the eastern thinking here
.....................That thinking from the east is probably because they think they need a more powerful magnum for extra down range killing power for elk along with having flatter trajectories for those longer open country distances should those situations present themselves. Imo, it is more of a "I need (or want) some extra assurance" thing.

And if a magnum happens to be in their (east of the Mississipi) safe, then why not!....Magnum needed? Probably not. Magnum wanted? Yup.

Magnumititus for the most part is more of a want rather than a need, especially for those who are more intrigued by the more powerful boomers who can handle them.

I agree.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing wrong with a little extra horsepower in the chamber. Don't need a 5 liter in the Mustang to go to the grocery store either, but sometimes the extra HP can be beneficial.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have owned magnums in every diameter between .257 and .375. I think I shot them pretty well. Problem was, when I got to the uneven terrain, they always got left at camp or in the truck in favor of something lighter.

The magnums are all gone. I mostly use either one of my .30-06s or the .308. I have done OK on deer with a .243, but I think I have better for elk, should the occasion arise.

I will tell this story since all of the participants, including the landowner are deceased. Cousin, Uncle, and Friend, drove to CO to hunt elk on private land. Arrived way late, got up late, and were finishing breakfast at host's house at dawn. The party had two bull and a cow tag.

Cousin saw a band of elk, from the kitchen window, on a ridge top moving away from a hunter who seemed unaware that they were there, moving toward host's property. Cousin grabbed his rifle, a BAR .30-06, hiked out, hid behind a rock and waited. The elk passed by at about 75-80 yards. Three shots, all three tags filled, hunt over.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't a 308 at 200, a 30-06 at 300, and a 300WM at 400? Same bullet of course.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
You know that Partitions and Tikka's don't work...

Dad used an Accubond from his 7mm-08. Go figure.

All three rifles in our party were sporting your Talleys.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm just a highly educated redneck from the extreme southwestern corner of Georgia. My default personality is to be as risk averse as I can, in life as well as hunting. Since my first elk many years ago I've used a 300 Jarrett, 300 RUM and a 338, with Partitions, TBBC's or North Fork bullets. Since I work so hard saving my pennies, I just don't feel like leaving things to chance.

I'm blessed that I can shoot those rifles accurately with no problems, flinching, etc. I also do NOT use the excuse of having a magnum to take high risk shots.

That's just the way I fry my fish and because you might not do it that way doesn't make you any less in my eyes.

Best of luck this upcoming fall folks.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/18/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

I've been hunting elk in that open country for more than 50 years. In my experience, it's extremely rare to see a 400 yd elk that you can't get at least 100 yds closer to. A gun in the 308/270/30-06 class is plenty. I used a 300 WSM for about 10 years and took 7 or 8 elk with it. None of them couldn't have been taken just as well with a 30-06, which is what I'm now using.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's because gunwriters need something to write about every month in order to maker a living, and "your .308 or '06 will work fine" doesn't sell magazines--there's no mystique there.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have my FIRST elk hunt planned for this September in Idaho. I plan to take one of my 300s, weatherby, H&H or Winchester. I am convinced a 308, 06, 270, 7mm, 300 savage, etc will cleanly take an elk, so why the 300s? I think they hit harder and shoot flatter.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My brother is not what I'd call a "gun guy." He has maybe 20 guns, and that's rifles, shotguns and handguns combined. For the past, roughly, 35 years the only rifle he takes on hunts out West or up North is his beat-up BLR in .308. To make matters worse, years he's got a travel hunt planned, he buys a bunch of whatever factory ammo he can get the cheapest in the appropriate bullet weight and he shoots it all summer long from field positions at all distances. He saves a box for his hunting trip. He's very successful with this system.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot a lot of elk with Speer Hotcores and I've never had one fail to die.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.