Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hanwags have been good to me on fall trips now for close to 10 years...

Meindls, if you read a bit instead of blowing off, you find old ones evidently were very good, and new ones, especially from Cabelas are generally junk. BTDT.

Its not like price pointing from big corps is always a good thing... look at guns from wally... cut corners here and there, plastic safeties to save a few bucks and so on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
SNAP;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

What is this camo of which you speak sir??? laugh

These Crispis were leather and looked like a cross between a Kenetrek and a Meindl - all leather upper and a big Meindl type rand.

I'm totally with you on Gore Tex outer layers on boots, though they might be OK in other terrain for sure, I don't hunt elsewhere much and thus can't comment intelligently.

Honestly I've only seen a single pair of Kenetrek for sale since they reorganized sales in Canada. If they think I'm going to drop $500 on boots that I can't try on first - well never mind that sir, obviously I'm not.

I almost bought a pair of lower Lowas in Banff a few years back and in retrospect I should have. They would have been fine for most other outdoor activities and would have let me save the Meindls for hunting only.

Somehow I've come to prefer a taller boot these days as they protect me more in the shin tangle and now that I'm in my '50's I'll take all the support I can get in a boot too. Aging has had some limiting factors on where I hunt and what is being shot for sure SNAP. grin

Thanks again sir and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

Will ditto Dwayne and SNAP's comments. I have some all leather Scarpas that have served well and still function well after three seasons of use with a few multi-day binges of rough off trail backpacking in there, though I do less of that each year of aging. Ditto to liking a higher boot nowadays and wish the Scarpa was taller.

Last spring I made a brief trip through Montana and stopped at the Kenetrek headquarters in Bozeman. I had their boot expert fit me in a pair and wrote the size right on my choice of boots in their catalog, which I brought home. When the Scarpas wear out... if I go to Kenetreks I have the size details to order. Otherwise, like Dwayne, I'd pass on paying so much for a mail order boot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schnees for the win. I really like my Beartooths, two good seasons on them so far, bet I get at least one more.

E-vent is the shizzle. Actually, it is even better than that.

I have tried lots of Gore-tex boots, most leak after half a season. Or my feet sweat so badly in them that they might as well leak.

I had resigned my self to getting a new pair every year, or abusing Cabelas return policy.

Kennetreks get good reviews, but I have not liked their fit or weight.
YMMV

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
This is an interesting read about the Meindl's. Just past a year ago or so I post this question on one of the forums here and one guy said he got his from Cabelas and he was able to return after abusing them for a few years. Now I am reading that Cabelas is carrying lower quality Meindls but am glad I did not buy from them. My problem is if I am going to drop $300 on boots I want to be able to try them on to ensure fit. Around here Cabelas is probably the store in VA that has a better supply of boots than the common boots you see in sporting stores. But then I do not hunt 75+ days a year as I am a working stiff smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have two pair of Meindl Alaksans that I switch off for weather reasons. The first pair purchased 9 years ago - 3 Alaskan trips - no failures even with plenty of stream crossings.
I can only surmise that Meindl changed their manufacturing practices and materials - which isn't unusual.
We all know that boots are very high on the list of essential items. They are money well spent and taken care of will last many years.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I also have had bad luck unless I actually am able to try the boot on. This complicates things.

I would really like a tall pair of nylon-type backpackers. Goretex is fine.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had the same pair of Lowa Tibets for 5 years. I only wear them hunting, hiking, or backpacking, but they've been pretty awesome.

Last weekend turkey hunting they got water in them, but that's because I walked through a creek. Deeper than I expected...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I also have had bad luck unless I actually am able to try the boot on. This complicates things.

I would really like a tall pair of nylon-type backpackers. Goretex is fine.

I just bought a pair of these. No miles on them yet but they are light, comfy, and supportive. Reviews are positive.

Salomon Quest

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll be going on year four using the Salomon Quest. The rubber rand is peeling off slightly on one, but otherwise they have been fantastic. No question I'll buy another pair.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Like a lot of stuff these days, just because a boot has some manufacturer's name doesn't mean it was made in that manufacturer's factory. I have a pair of Cabela's Meindl Ulralight Uninsulated Hunter boots they sent me for testing--but they are made in Vietnam, not Germany, like original Meindls.

This doesn't mean they're bad boots. In fact, I like them a lot, since they're very comfortable, and have worn them as my primary moderate-weather big-game boots for three years now without problems. Bu the main point is that all Meindls are the same, since they're not all made in the same factory.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that not of paramount importance once grown so big to have that happen, to ensure brand name quality is maintained throughout the different outlets?

Sure way to water down the brand name, if tardy here.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many manufacturers remain absolutely dedicated to "brand name quality" over the decades? Some do, but lots of things can weaken that resolve, whether new ownership, or some retailer waving more money. I have even known family-owned business to end up cheapening products, after the family members who started the company retired or died.
And subbing out manufacturing of parts or complete products to foreign manufacturers isn't exactly a new concept.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True. Still sad, is it not? As in - "A sad story?"

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

O
O
I live in BC and am able to spend quite a bit of time hiking up and down the hills in my beautiful province. I have found the salomon quest 4d gtx to be the boot that fits my feet best. They have a very sticky rubber compound for the soles but it doesn't last all that long. The soles are not replaceable, which really isn't an issue as the rest of the boot is worn out about the same time as the sole.
I'm on my third pair now, they typically last me about 2 years and I don't use them much in the heat as the gtx lining makes them hot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was looking at a pair of Meindl Perfekts at a store, not Cabelas, although I see they carry them too. So what's the deal in 2015 are they as good as the Perfekts of a decade ago? Are the Perfekts in Cabelas the same as the ones in other stores?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a couple pairs of Perfeks from Cabelas. Bought 4 to 5 years ago. The one pair has taken a licking and doesn't want to quit. The other is also holding up well. Shame if they have been cheapened.

Heels starting to wear down some.

[Linked Image]

Water still stays on the outside for the most part.

[Linked Image]

Bud bought a pair, but while trying various sizes on for fit noticed that three pair all had different soles.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has almost become too hard to compare boots with the same same over a period of time. As some have indicated, there are knock-offs, spin-offs, change in supplier, change in specs, premium line vs. mediocre line. I have a friend who has worked at Red Wing Boots for 35 years and he said its a cut throat market out there.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/02/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Meindl Perfekts, were for years my favourite everyday wear and most bush treks boots. This, was when Meindls were all made in Germany and were among the finest boots I have ever worn and our fine Pierre Paris and Daytons, Heads, etc. were largely discontinued.

THE best boots I have ever worn were Galibiers from Richard Goncourt in FRANCE, I have a pair that a chap in California sent me, worn once and if you saw these, you would be amazed at the quality.

My feeling is that the Perfekts now are not what they were, but, are still a good boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm I think I'll have a better look next time I'm to civilization. I've had good luck with some Meindl borneos (sp?) circa about 2005. I'm in the market for some taller boots with more support and would be pleased if the Pefekts would last OK plus I see they've got extra wide models now which only so many makers do. (Had to get my borneos stretched for width)

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The only problem with the boots was the rand. They just couldn't get that right. Other aspects were stellar. Can't comment on longevity, of course.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.