Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My wife has a pair of Meindl Island Pros. They are a leather lined boot with a nice rand on them. We got these from AJ brooks and have been very happy with them for the minimal use she puts them through. I have had a couple pairs of Alico boots from Sierra Trading Post and been very happy. Unfortunelty my feet decided to drop and gain a half size. I am now using a pair of Danner Canadians that I will replace them with a proper pac boot eventually, a pair of leather lined Lowas and a pair of Scarpa Fuegos. My Lowas get the most use as they do more things well than the others. Boots like so many pieces of gear can be very specific to the task at hand.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have tried a lot of boots. I have had four pairs of Meindl boots. The original Canadas were simply awesome. I had mine resoled and sent them to my guide in BC after a hunt since he had completely destroyed his Danners. I have a pair of Alaskans that need to be resoled but otherwise are fine. I am on my third pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. The first two came unbonded, this third pair is pretty good.

First time I looked at the Perfekts I knew they wouldn't hold up to the walking I do. Soles fell off in a week. They are just too light duty.

Buddy goes through a set of Lowas in 6 months and now likes Zamberlins (spelling?).

Not sure what I will buy next time. Hard to find EE width boots sometimes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Fuzzy-I am surprised that you do not find the Scarpa Fuegos, too heavy and stiff for your weight and build.

I outweigh you as we know and I have a pair, but, they are really too much for even most alpine hunting. The only real use for boots so HD is steep angle, high, RM Goat chasing, IMO.

Look at Hanwag's leather lined models as they have some that might be better for you and the area you hunt in than the Scarpas, which are more for "front pointing" than hunting, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a few break in miles on the Salomons and I really like them. They are a bit pricey for what they are but I am glad I found them as a replacement for the discontinued Asolo FSN 95's I used to wear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
So I raved here a few months ago about how great the fit and feel of the Cabela's Meindl Ultimate Hunter boots are. They're still be best-feeling boots I've ever had on. For my wide (EE) feet they felt just heavenly. Then I used them.

First day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand started to come off the boot. By the end of the day I could stick my finger in it. "They're a good boot from a good company, this must be a fluke!" says I. Back to Cabela's they went.

Second day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand ... wait, no sense writing the EXACT SAME THING as the last paragraph. Back to Cabela's.

Let me insert here that I am occasionally stubborn up to and beyond a measure of suffering. I went back to Cabela's and tried on every Meindl in the store, as well as some others. Walked around in them, the whole deal. Took more than an hour. Nothing felt anywhere near as good as the Meindls Ultimate Hunters. "Well, I'll just glue them. They feel so great!" says I. And I did. A third pair.

First day out ... well, you already knew what I was gonna say. Took them home and applied gap-filling isocyanate glue. Next day out, more glue. Next day out, more. By the fourth time out I spent more time looking down at the 'boots' and thinking "You're an idiot" than I did scouting. So -- drumroll please -- I took the damned things back and kept my $300.

This was in Phoenix. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago in the Anchorage Cabela's. Of course the first place we go is the Bargain Cave. What do I see there but not one, or two, or three, but four ... pairs of returned Meindls. Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan Hunters.

Note to any Cabela's or Meindls reps -- I tried my best to praise your product here. Really. If you want to give me a pair I'll try them again. But that's the only way.

So now I'm wearing some 5 year old boots ... fortunately they were never worn much.

I had a similar issue back in '95 with the Cabelas Canadian Hunter boots by Meindl.

I was on a fly in hunt in the Brooks Range for sheep. About mid way through the hunt while packing my ram/cape/meat/gear back to base camp I had to cross a narrow fast moving creek. My pack was too heavy for me to try and jump across it so I just walked across and my right foot got immediately soaked.

When I got across to the other side I took my pack off and looked at my boots. The stitching on the back side where the synthetic material was sewn to the leather had become unstitched. Luckily I had some duck tape with me so I taped it up and went about my business.

When I got back home I notified Cabelas and they told me to return them and would get another pair to me asap because I needed a pair for an upcoming moose hunt.

3 days in my moose hunt, the same thing happened. When I got home I called them again and told them what had happened so they gave me a choice. I could get another pair or get a refund, I needed boots so I picked a different pair of boots and never had a problem after that.

Thankfully Cabelas customer service lived up to the reputation and I never had any issues with getting replacement boots when I needed them.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
SNAP- I agree the Fuego is a very stout boot. If there is much flat ground they are not worn.They are my favourite boot for snowshoeing in the coastal mountains here where everything is up or down. As a double tongue boot I find they are very warm and only get worn late fall into early spring. I even wear them snowboarding. Defintetly a "horses for courses" situation and I expect to get 4 or 5 more years out of them.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the Perfekt hikers & hunters both pair sole came off in front section.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been running the cabelas meindl denali's for 3 seasons now and have had zero issue with them. That includes all my personal hunting I do, and guiding in Wyoming for 3 weeks in October each year. The rand has chipped along the top edge in a few places but that is about it.

I was in the Fort Worth cabelas the other day and was going to grab a back up pair. I went over to the boot department, and something just didn't look the same. So I decided against it. Probably going to try some kennetrek's next. Spent some time in their booth at rmef elk camp this year and they were extremely helpful and helped me try on several pairs. They told me they recommend a 25 mile flat ground break in of their boots before any hiking. First I had heard something like that from any compan.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Okbow87
I have been running the cabelas meindl denali's for 3 seasons now and have had zero issue with them.

Me too... if they change that boot, someone is going to find one where the sun don't shine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
shoo-goo any one used penguin or regular ? thinking about it for rands & soals

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
So I raved here a few months ago about how great the fit and feel of the Cabela's Meindl Ultimate Hunter boots are. They're still be best-feeling boots I've ever had on. For my wide (EE) feet they felt just heavenly. Then I used them.

First day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand started to come off the boot. By the end of the day I could stick my finger in it. "They're a good boot from a good company, this must be a fluke!" says I. Back to Cabela's they went.

Second day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand ... wait, no sense writing the EXACT SAME THING as the last paragraph. Back to Cabela's.

Let me insert here that I am occasionally stubborn up to and beyond a measure of suffering. I went back to Cabela's and tried on every Meindl in the store, as well as some others. Walked around in them, the whole deal. Took more than an hour. Nothing felt anywhere near as good as the Meindls Ultimate Hunters. "Well, I'll just glue them. They feel so great!" says I. And I did. A third pair.

First day out ... well, you already knew what I was gonna say. Took them home and applied gap-filling isocyanate glue. Next day out, more glue. Next day out, more. By the fourth time out I spent more time looking down at the 'boots' and thinking "You're an idiot" than I did scouting. So -- drumroll please -- I took the damned things back and kept my $300.

This was in Phoenix. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago in the Anchorage Cabela's. Of course the first place we go is the Bargain Cave. What do I see there but not one, or two, or three, but four ... pairs of returned Meindls. Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan Hunters.

Note to any Cabela's or Meindls reps -- I tried my best to praise your product here. Really. If you want to give me a pair I'll try them again. But that's the only way.

So now I'm wearing some 5 year old boots ... fortunately they were never worn much.

Now there is a pearl of an endorsement..Guess I will avoid Meindels.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a pair of Perfek hikers last spring. Very comfortable great support. wore them through summer, high country scouting, mule deer Colorado and whitetail in Idaho. No leaks, worked well in snow with gaiters. No complaints, BUT the soles are 1/2 gone. Grip well but apparently wear quickly. They are not Vibram which apparently wear and last longer. At least that's what a guy who has been in the business told me.

I have had good luck with Vasque sneakers and cross trainers. wear like Iron. Just bought a pair of Vasque 2.0 GTX hikers. Very light, good support, and excellent traction. And they have Vibram soles.....so we'll see.

Lefty C

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Interesting, I have a pair of Meidl Island Pro boots that I have owned since 2010. I have worn them for a lot of hunting trips, and about half of a season of biodiversity monitoring work - fieldwork in the bush and mountains daily for the last 9 months, including some pretty rough alpine stuff, and a lot of walking. The soles are starting to go, and the stitching has gone on the uppers in one particular spot, but otherwise they've been very hard wearing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
Interesting, I have a pair of Meidl Island Pro boots that I have owned since 2010. I have worn them for a lot of hunting trips, and about half of a season of biodiversity monitoring work - fieldwork in the bush and mountains daily for the last 9 months, including some pretty rough alpine stuff, and a lot of walking. The soles are starting to go, and the stitching has gone on the uppers in one particular spot, but otherwise they've been very hard wearing.
I had a similar experience with a pair of Island Pro's. My favorite boot I've ever owned. I currently am using a Cabelas branded Miendl boot that is similar to the Island Pro. IMO the Cabelas version is not near as well built. I'd love to get another pair of Island Pros, but Cabelas is the ONLY US distributor for Meindl and only carry their branded offerings.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I just returned my second pair of Meindl air revolution boots to cabelas. I loved the boots, lightweight, flexible and quiet, the perfect bow hunting boot. But... the same leaky toes on two separate pairs of boots. Most meindls are made in slovakia now, and I think since they started doing that the quality went down the toilet. The made in germany ones may still be good but the rest are junk.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well that is certainly a downer. I had planned on purchasing a pair of their 400 gram ultralight hunter boots for an upcoming Wyoming hunt. Maybe I should reconsider that.

Any recommendations for a light weight boot with roughly 400 grams of insulation around 200-300 dollars?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deputy30: I have had good luck with Red Wing work boots in my wyoming deer hunts. Those plus good wool socks have kept my feet going even after a soaking in a stream. Not specifically made for hunting, but work for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As several have mentioned, don't judge Meindl on the Cabelas version. I've had both and think the real Meindls are better quality than the Cabelas version. It's a shame Meindl puts their name on a lower quality boot, but they probably sell a lot more boots in the US that way and it probably doesn't hurt their European sales any. If you can find real Meindl boots, get them, otherwise buy Lowas, Scarpas, Kenetreks, etc.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
As several have mentioned, don't judge Meindl on the Cabelas version. I've had both and think the real Meindls are better quality than the Cabelas version. It's a shame Meindl puts their name on a lower quality boot, but they probably sell a lot more boots in the US that way and it probably doesn't hurt their European sales any. If you can find real Meindl boots, get them, otherwise buy Lowas, Scarpas, Kenetreks, etc.

Agreed!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Order up a pair of custom made Whites (Spokane). They will build the boots to FIT your feet. American made, assembled with triple stitching, glue, and screws, and can be rebuilt. They will not be molded plastic and fabric. Expensive, damned well worth it, and will not fail. Got my first pair when Danner went to making yuppie fabric hiking boots, and ordered a second pair 2 weeks later after a mountain deer hunt. Four pair at home now and wearing the 5th. Rest assured, one will be not be coming home from an extended trip with duct tape holding things together.

Seems to be the foot ware of choice for loggers and wild land fire fighters.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/15.

1Minute
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 73 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.