Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So I raved here a few months ago about how great the fit and feel of the Cabela's Meindl Ultimate Hunter boots are. They're still be best-feeling boots I've ever had on. For my wide (EE) feet they felt just heavenly. Then I used them.

First day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand started to come off the boot. By the end of the day I could stick my finger in it. "They're a good boot from a good company, this must be a fluke!" says I. Back to Cabela's they went.

Second day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand ... wait, no sense writing the EXACT SAME THING as the last paragraph. Back to Cabela's.

Let me insert here that I am occasionally stubborn up to and beyond a measure of suffering. I went back to Cabela's and tried on every Meindl in the store, as well as some others. Walked around in them, the whole deal. Took more than an hour. Nothing felt anywhere near as good as the Meindls Ultimate Hunters. "Well, I'll just glue them. They feel so great!" says I. And I did. A third pair.

First day out ... well, you already knew what I was gonna say. Took them home and applied gap-filling isocyanate glue. Next day out, more glue. Next day out, more. By the fourth time out I spent more time looking down at the 'boots' and thinking "You're an idiot" than I did scouting. So -- drumroll please -- I took the damned things back and kept my $300.

This was in Phoenix. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago in the Anchorage Cabela's. Of course the first place we go is the Bargain Cave. What do I see there but not one, or two, or three, but four ... pairs of returned Meindls. Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan Hunters.

Note to any Cabela's or Meindls reps -- I tried my best to praise your product here. Really. If you want to give me a pair I'll try them again. But that's the only way.

So now I'm wearing some 5 year old boots ... fortunately they were never worn much.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I like my Cabelas Meindl's they are not, IMO, built to the same standard as the Meindls I had from Lathrop and Sons. I really wish Cabelas hadn't cornered the Meindl market here and/or that Lathrop still carried them. I wonder how hard it would be to get 'real' Meindls from AJ Brooks in Canada to the US???

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Brooks, had some issue with Meindls, was dropped as a dealer and may no longer be in business.

There are a few Meindl dealers here, but, I would look at Scarpas, Lowas and Hanwags as well as the recent "stitchdown" models by Zamberlan.

Scarpa "Activ" is a model that impresses me and I love my Zamberlan Nuvaluos, worn daily for 3 years and on second Vibram soles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hope it's not a new common problem with Meindl. I love my Perfekt boots that a got from Cabelas a few years ago.n the most comfortable boots I've ever had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Perfects were perfect for me, as long as my knees let me use them, that is.

Had to switch to the Borneos (w/o Gore) and Islands (with Gore) and my knees are fine.

But, two seasons are the most I am getting out of those. In 2009 I wrecked one new pair in just short of 30 days, guiding 3 clients back to back on Dall Sheep 1:1. 3 for 3 on Rams but down one pair of boots after that.

Guys at Meindl did not believe me - until I showed pictures of what we had done.

Guy just caught himself before saying something stupid like "Ye, well, thats not what they are meant to do..."

I could read that on his face, though.

I still Meindl (the Islands), because my feet and knees are happy. Sure wish I would get the miles like out of the Perfects, though.

Have to admit, I rarely am able to provide for a decent wear/dry/rest/alternate pairs routine, as they like to advice.

Meindl Borneos

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate you sharing this, I've actually been saving my Cabelas Points on my Visa to purchase the pair that's been waiting on my wish list.

I've had the best service from Danners, but they are heavy. I guess I'll keep looking.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wore a pair out last fall. Very comfortable but don't want to have to buy a new pair of boots every year

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The plot thickens. I thought, it was just me...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Damn, I'm gonna have to milk my Meindl's for all their worth now. I have 3 pairs. Sent a pair (maybe 5 years old) back to Hoffman's Boots last year to repair some rotted out stitching. They screwed me out of $8 (yes, eight) for the repairs. Might get two more years out of those boots now.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Check out Lowas. Damn comfortable boot IMO

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I plowed through boots for years, rarely getting a 3rd season out of any hiking or hunting boot. danners, scarpa, meindl don't last and LEAK LEAK LEAK! Do yourself a favor and try some kenetrek mountain extremes and have comfort and dry feet for many many years.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I figure about about a year per shoes, sometimes two for boots. That is rotating through them, so I am not always using the same. UL shoes, a year of wearing them only when I am really trying to cut weight. In essence , if I wear them often they usually don't last long. I wore out a pair of Vasque so quickly they wanted to put me on their tester program. I figure I need at least 4 pair of mostly mountain shoes a year.

Anyway my Kenetrak Hardscrables look really good, and still perform very well, of course I wear them mostly when I need them , because I prefer boots that sit closer to the ground and are more flexible for varying terrain. They are comfy though , super comfy.

I do wear some LaSportiva Boulder X Mid a fair amount, and while not super comfortable, they work well for most of the times I want / need a boot. I'll see if they make it past this fall, if they do they are probably keepers. The plus is, they can handle 3rd class to low 5th pretty well, if you like to experiment with routes, which happens sometimes

Last edited by Kevin_T; 04/30/15.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I plowed through boots for years, rarely getting a 3rd season out of any hiking or hunting boot. danners, scarpa, meindl don't last and LEAK LEAK LEAK! Do yourself a favor and try some kenetrek mountain extremes and have comfort and dry feet for many many years.

Picked up a pair of these at the end of November and wore them all through the winter coyote calling and trapping and they are amazingly comfortable and dry. My only problem is I bought the 400 gram ones and they are abit warm to do a lot of moving in for me. Great for sitting on a calling stand but will be to warm for me to hunt them in the fall so I will be picking up a pair of the non insulated for hunting season. Or I may try a pair of the hardscrabble hikers

Edited to add the mountain extremes toe grip area felt little weird when I first start walking in them but when you start to climb they are awesome.

Last edited by laker; 04/30/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The Ultimate Hunter is the most comfortable I've ever worn. Props to Meindl for that.

I really don't like a boot as heavy and stiff as the Kennetrec, which does come in a wide. I may have to go that route.

What I would really like is a lighter grade boot that was mostly nylon, like the Asolo Flame. In the Asolo Fugutive, the wide width was not wide enough. It had a terrible bite below little toe. I would also like them a couple inches higher than a backpacker boot.

Is there such a boot? I'm tempted to buy Keenes and just wear them out every year.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wore through my pair in a year. Both toes have a 2" hole in then and zero leather on front third of both boots.

Comfortable but not durable. I'll be looking this Sumner too.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a pair of Kayland Vertigo (now discontinued) that I purchased for early season scouting and spring turkey hunting. They've held up well for three seasons now.

What is the general opinion of Schnee's boots?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah, Scarpas, Mendles (the old original German ones) and the other high end Euro, boots are no good......

Funny, here in BC, as tough a country on boots as one can find, I had Meindls last for years, wearing them EVERY day and fighting fire, hunting, snowshoeing, in them, but, I looked after my boots.

Same performance from some others, my old Scarpas are still going, but, worn and my others are looking good.

I used to average two years, daily wear with 2-3 soles from my boots, the original Meindl Perfects from Germany were my favourite due to last issues and they went for about 3 years.

I spent quite some time examining Kenetrek boots at one of the big gunshows here and was not too impressed, but, I have never worn them.

YMMV, but Scarpa makes some of the best serious mountain boots I have worn in 50+ years and I highly recommend them and using Obenaufs frequently to maintain them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snap;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours doing acceptably well and enjoying some nice weather.

As you're no doubt aware, the Meindl thing was a hotly debated topic on some BC sites a few years back and when I picked up some Canada Pro's up at Fisher's in Vernon I was a bit concerned how they'd last.

That was a few seasons ago now - I want to say maybe 4 now???? - BUT I don't do shale slides that often and I'm not the biggest guy on the mountain - so at 160lbs without a pack and rifle I'm thinking there should be less wear and tear on boots than someone who is 100lbs more.

I dunno what I'll look at next though as there are so many persistent tales of woe on the new Meindl boots.....

We looked at some Crispi boots at Grouse River that were pretty nice..... just a shade over $600 sticker price however.....

All the best to you and yours SNAP, it's always interesting to read what's going on with footwear nowadays and thanks for your input sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hey, Dwayne, I would avoid Crispis and would buy Scarpas, Hanwags and Lowas, before any other brands currently available here in *Beautiful BC*.

I detest Gore-Tex in boots, prefer full leather lining and you treat this with the Obenaufs as well....makes a HUGE difference in wear as the lining in most boots is what goes first.

I bet that the lighter, leather lined Lowas would be just what you need and the cost of good boots to me is well worth paying as these are far more important to hunting than all this trendy bullsh*t camo we now see portrayed as the *signature* of a *real mountain hunter*....LMAO... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SNAP;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

What is this camo of which you speak sir??? laugh

These Crispis were leather and looked like a cross between a Kenetrek and a Meindl - all leather upper and a big Meindl type rand.

I'm totally with you on Gore Tex outer layers on boots, though they might be OK in other terrain for sure, I don't hunt elsewhere much and thus can't comment intelligently.

Honestly I've only seen a single pair of Kenetrek for sale since they reorganized sales in Canada. If they think I'm going to drop $500 on boots that I can't try on first - well never mind that sir, obviously I'm not.

I almost bought a pair of lower Lowas in Banff a few years back and in retrospect I should have. They would have been fine for most other outdoor activities and would have let me save the Meindls for hunting only.

Somehow I've come to prefer a taller boot these days as they protect me more in the shin tangle and now that I'm in my '50's I'll take all the support I can get in a boot too. Aging has had some limiting factors on where I hunt and what is being shot for sure SNAP. grin

Thanks again sir and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hanwags have been good to me on fall trips now for close to 10 years...

Meindls, if you read a bit instead of blowing off, you find old ones evidently were very good, and new ones, especially from Cabelas are generally junk. BTDT.

Its not like price pointing from big corps is always a good thing... look at guns from wally... cut corners here and there, plastic safeties to save a few bucks and so on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
SNAP;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

What is this camo of which you speak sir??? laugh

These Crispis were leather and looked like a cross between a Kenetrek and a Meindl - all leather upper and a big Meindl type rand.

I'm totally with you on Gore Tex outer layers on boots, though they might be OK in other terrain for sure, I don't hunt elsewhere much and thus can't comment intelligently.

Honestly I've only seen a single pair of Kenetrek for sale since they reorganized sales in Canada. If they think I'm going to drop $500 on boots that I can't try on first - well never mind that sir, obviously I'm not.

I almost bought a pair of lower Lowas in Banff a few years back and in retrospect I should have. They would have been fine for most other outdoor activities and would have let me save the Meindls for hunting only.

Somehow I've come to prefer a taller boot these days as they protect me more in the shin tangle and now that I'm in my '50's I'll take all the support I can get in a boot too. Aging has had some limiting factors on where I hunt and what is being shot for sure SNAP. grin

Thanks again sir and all the best to you folks this weekend.

Dwayne

Will ditto Dwayne and SNAP's comments. I have some all leather Scarpas that have served well and still function well after three seasons of use with a few multi-day binges of rough off trail backpacking in there, though I do less of that each year of aging. Ditto to liking a higher boot nowadays and wish the Scarpa was taller.

Last spring I made a brief trip through Montana and stopped at the Kenetrek headquarters in Bozeman. I had their boot expert fit me in a pair and wrote the size right on my choice of boots in their catalog, which I brought home. When the Scarpas wear out... if I go to Kenetreks I have the size details to order. Otherwise, like Dwayne, I'd pass on paying so much for a mail order boot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schnees for the win. I really like my Beartooths, two good seasons on them so far, bet I get at least one more.

E-vent is the shizzle. Actually, it is even better than that.

I have tried lots of Gore-tex boots, most leak after half a season. Or my feet sweat so badly in them that they might as well leak.

I had resigned my self to getting a new pair every year, or abusing Cabelas return policy.

Kennetreks get good reviews, but I have not liked their fit or weight.
YMMV

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
This is an interesting read about the Meindl's. Just past a year ago or so I post this question on one of the forums here and one guy said he got his from Cabelas and he was able to return after abusing them for a few years. Now I am reading that Cabelas is carrying lower quality Meindls but am glad I did not buy from them. My problem is if I am going to drop $300 on boots I want to be able to try them on to ensure fit. Around here Cabelas is probably the store in VA that has a better supply of boots than the common boots you see in sporting stores. But then I do not hunt 75+ days a year as I am a working stiff smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have two pair of Meindl Alaksans that I switch off for weather reasons. The first pair purchased 9 years ago - 3 Alaskan trips - no failures even with plenty of stream crossings.
I can only surmise that Meindl changed their manufacturing practices and materials - which isn't unusual.
We all know that boots are very high on the list of essential items. They are money well spent and taken care of will last many years.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I also have had bad luck unless I actually am able to try the boot on. This complicates things.

I would really like a tall pair of nylon-type backpackers. Goretex is fine.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've had the same pair of Lowa Tibets for 5 years. I only wear them hunting, hiking, or backpacking, but they've been pretty awesome.

Last weekend turkey hunting they got water in them, but that's because I walked through a creek. Deeper than I expected...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I also have had bad luck unless I actually am able to try the boot on. This complicates things.

I would really like a tall pair of nylon-type backpackers. Goretex is fine.

I just bought a pair of these. No miles on them yet but they are light, comfy, and supportive. Reviews are positive.

Salomon Quest

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'll be going on year four using the Salomon Quest. The rubber rand is peeling off slightly on one, but otherwise they have been fantastic. No question I'll buy another pair.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Like a lot of stuff these days, just because a boot has some manufacturer's name doesn't mean it was made in that manufacturer's factory. I have a pair of Cabela's Meindl Ulralight Uninsulated Hunter boots they sent me for testing--but they are made in Vietnam, not Germany, like original Meindls.

This doesn't mean they're bad boots. In fact, I like them a lot, since they're very comfortable, and have worn them as my primary moderate-weather big-game boots for three years now without problems. Bu the main point is that all Meindls are the same, since they're not all made in the same factory.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that not of paramount importance once grown so big to have that happen, to ensure brand name quality is maintained throughout the different outlets?

Sure way to water down the brand name, if tardy here.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many manufacturers remain absolutely dedicated to "brand name quality" over the decades? Some do, but lots of things can weaken that resolve, whether new ownership, or some retailer waving more money. I have even known family-owned business to end up cheapening products, after the family members who started the company retired or died.
And subbing out manufacturing of parts or complete products to foreign manufacturers isn't exactly a new concept.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True. Still sad, is it not? As in - "A sad story?"

O
O
I live in BC and am able to spend quite a bit of time hiking up and down the hills in my beautiful province. I have found the salomon quest 4d gtx to be the boot that fits my feet best. They have a very sticky rubber compound for the soles but it doesn't last all that long. The soles are not replaceable, which really isn't an issue as the rest of the boot is worn out about the same time as the sole.
I'm on my third pair now, they typically last me about 2 years and I don't use them much in the heat as the gtx lining makes them hot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was looking at a pair of Meindl Perfekts at a store, not Cabelas, although I see they carry them too. So what's the deal in 2015 are they as good as the Perfekts of a decade ago? Are the Perfekts in Cabelas the same as the ones in other stores?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a couple pairs of Perfeks from Cabelas. Bought 4 to 5 years ago. The one pair has taken a licking and doesn't want to quit. The other is also holding up well. Shame if they have been cheapened.

Heels starting to wear down some.

[Linked Image]

Water still stays on the outside for the most part.

[Linked Image]

Bud bought a pair, but while trying various sizes on for fit noticed that three pair all had different soles.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has almost become too hard to compare boots with the same same over a period of time. As some have indicated, there are knock-offs, spin-offs, change in supplier, change in specs, premium line vs. mediocre line. I have a friend who has worked at Red Wing Boots for 35 years and he said its a cut throat market out there.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/02/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Meindl Perfekts, were for years my favourite everyday wear and most bush treks boots. This, was when Meindls were all made in Germany and were among the finest boots I have ever worn and our fine Pierre Paris and Daytons, Heads, etc. were largely discontinued.

THE best boots I have ever worn were Galibiers from Richard Goncourt in FRANCE, I have a pair that a chap in California sent me, worn once and if you saw these, you would be amazed at the quality.

My feeling is that the Perfekts now are not what they were, but, are still a good boot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm I think I'll have a better look next time I'm to civilization. I've had good luck with some Meindl borneos (sp?) circa about 2005. I'm in the market for some taller boots with more support and would be pleased if the Pefekts would last OK plus I see they've got extra wide models now which only so many makers do. (Had to get my borneos stretched for width)

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The only problem with the boots was the rand. They just couldn't get that right. Other aspects were stellar. Can't comment on longevity, of course.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My wife has a pair of Meindl Island Pros. They are a leather lined boot with a nice rand on them. We got these from AJ brooks and have been very happy with them for the minimal use she puts them through. I have had a couple pairs of Alico boots from Sierra Trading Post and been very happy. Unfortunelty my feet decided to drop and gain a half size. I am now using a pair of Danner Canadians that I will replace them with a proper pac boot eventually, a pair of leather lined Lowas and a pair of Scarpa Fuegos. My Lowas get the most use as they do more things well than the others. Boots like so many pieces of gear can be very specific to the task at hand.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have tried a lot of boots. I have had four pairs of Meindl boots. The original Canadas were simply awesome. I had mine resoled and sent them to my guide in BC after a hunt since he had completely destroyed his Danners. I have a pair of Alaskans that need to be resoled but otherwise are fine. I am on my third pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles. The first two came unbonded, this third pair is pretty good.

First time I looked at the Perfekts I knew they wouldn't hold up to the walking I do. Soles fell off in a week. They are just too light duty.

Buddy goes through a set of Lowas in 6 months and now likes Zamberlins (spelling?).

Not sure what I will buy next time. Hard to find EE width boots sometimes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Fuzzy-I am surprised that you do not find the Scarpa Fuegos, too heavy and stiff for your weight and build.

I outweigh you as we know and I have a pair, but, they are really too much for even most alpine hunting. The only real use for boots so HD is steep angle, high, RM Goat chasing, IMO.

Look at Hanwag's leather lined models as they have some that might be better for you and the area you hunt in than the Scarpas, which are more for "front pointing" than hunting, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a few break in miles on the Salomons and I really like them. They are a bit pricey for what they are but I am glad I found them as a replacement for the discontinued Asolo FSN 95's I used to wear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I raved here a few months ago about how great the fit and feel of the Cabela's Meindl Ultimate Hunter boots are. They're still be best-feeling boots I've ever had on. For my wide (EE) feet they felt just heavenly. Then I used them.

First day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand started to come off the boot. By the end of the day I could stick my finger in it. "They're a good boot from a good company, this must be a fluke!" says I. Back to Cabela's they went.

Second day out with about 6 hours on the trail, the rand ... wait, no sense writing the EXACT SAME THING as the last paragraph. Back to Cabela's.

Let me insert here that I am occasionally stubborn up to and beyond a measure of suffering. I went back to Cabela's and tried on every Meindl in the store, as well as some others. Walked around in them, the whole deal. Took more than an hour. Nothing felt anywhere near as good as the Meindls Ultimate Hunters. "Well, I'll just glue them. They feel so great!" says I. And I did. A third pair.

First day out ... well, you already knew what I was gonna say. Took them home and applied gap-filling isocyanate glue. Next day out, more glue. Next day out, more. By the fourth time out I spent more time looking down at the 'boots' and thinking "You're an idiot" than I did scouting. So -- drumroll please -- I took the damned things back and kept my $300.

This was in Phoenix. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago in the Anchorage Cabela's. Of course the first place we go is the Bargain Cave. What do I see there but not one, or two, or three, but four ... pairs of returned Meindls. Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan Hunters.

Note to any Cabela's or Meindls reps -- I tried my best to praise your product here. Really. If you want to give me a pair I'll try them again. But that's the only way.

So now I'm wearing some 5 year old boots ... fortunately they were never worn much.

I had a similar issue back in '95 with the Cabelas Canadian Hunter boots by Meindl.

I was on a fly in hunt in the Brooks Range for sheep. About mid way through the hunt while packing my ram/cape/meat/gear back to base camp I had to cross a narrow fast moving creek. My pack was too heavy for me to try and jump across it so I just walked across and my right foot got immediately soaked.

When I got across to the other side I took my pack off and looked at my boots. The stitching on the back side where the synthetic material was sewn to the leather had become unstitched. Luckily I had some duck tape with me so I taped it up and went about my business.

When I got back home I notified Cabelas and they told me to return them and would get another pair to me asap because I needed a pair for an upcoming moose hunt.

3 days in my moose hunt, the same thing happened. When I got home I called them again and told them what had happened so they gave me a choice. I could get another pair or get a refund, I needed boots so I picked a different pair of boots and never had a problem after that.

Thankfully Cabelas customer service lived up to the reputation and I never had any issues with getting replacement boots when I needed them.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
SNAP- I agree the Fuego is a very stout boot. If there is much flat ground they are not worn.They are my favourite boot for snowshoeing in the coastal mountains here where everything is up or down. As a double tongue boot I find they are very warm and only get worn late fall into early spring. I even wear them snowboarding. Defintetly a "horses for courses" situation and I expect to get 4 or 5 more years out of them.

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have the Perfekt hikers & hunters both pair sole came off in front section.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have been running the cabelas meindl denali's for 3 seasons now and have had zero issue with them. That includes all my personal hunting I do, and guiding in Wyoming for 3 weeks in October each year. The rand has chipped along the top edge in a few places but that is about it.

I was in the Fort Worth cabelas the other day and was going to grab a back up pair. I went over to the boot department, and something just didn't look the same. So I decided against it. Probably going to try some kennetrek's next. Spent some time in their booth at rmef elk camp this year and they were extremely helpful and helped me try on several pairs. They told me they recommend a 25 mile flat ground break in of their boots before any hiking. First I had heard something like that from any compan.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Okbow87
I have been running the cabelas meindl denali's for 3 seasons now and have had zero issue with them.

Me too... if they change that boot, someone is going to find one where the sun don't shine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
shoo-goo any one used penguin or regular ? thinking about it for rands & soals

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now there is a pearl of an endorsement..Guess I will avoid Meindels.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I bought a pair of Perfek hikers last spring. Very comfortable great support. wore them through summer, high country scouting, mule deer Colorado and whitetail in Idaho. No leaks, worked well in snow with gaiters. No complaints, BUT the soles are 1/2 gone. Grip well but apparently wear quickly. They are not Vibram which apparently wear and last longer. At least that's what a guy who has been in the business told me.

I have had good luck with Vasque sneakers and cross trainers. wear like Iron. Just bought a pair of Vasque 2.0 GTX hikers. Very light, good support, and excellent traction. And they have Vibram soles.....so we'll see.

Lefty C

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Interesting, I have a pair of Meidl Island Pro boots that I have owned since 2010. I have worn them for a lot of hunting trips, and about half of a season of biodiversity monitoring work - fieldwork in the bush and mountains daily for the last 9 months, including some pretty rough alpine stuff, and a lot of walking. The soles are starting to go, and the stitching has gone on the uppers in one particular spot, but otherwise they've been very hard wearing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
Interesting, I have a pair of Meidl Island Pro boots that I have owned since 2010. I have worn them for a lot of hunting trips, and about half of a season of biodiversity monitoring work - fieldwork in the bush and mountains daily for the last 9 months, including some pretty rough alpine stuff, and a lot of walking. The soles are starting to go, and the stitching has gone on the uppers in one particular spot, but otherwise they've been very hard wearing.
I had a similar experience with a pair of Island Pro's. My favorite boot I've ever owned. I currently am using a Cabelas branded Miendl boot that is similar to the Island Pro. IMO the Cabelas version is not near as well built. I'd love to get another pair of Island Pros, but Cabelas is the ONLY US distributor for Meindl and only carry their branded offerings.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I just returned my second pair of Meindl air revolution boots to cabelas. I loved the boots, lightweight, flexible and quiet, the perfect bow hunting boot. But... the same leaky toes on two separate pairs of boots. Most meindls are made in slovakia now, and I think since they started doing that the quality went down the toilet. The made in germany ones may still be good but the rest are junk.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well that is certainly a downer. I had planned on purchasing a pair of their 400 gram ultralight hunter boots for an upcoming Wyoming hunt. Maybe I should reconsider that.

Any recommendations for a light weight boot with roughly 400 grams of insulation around 200-300 dollars?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deputy30: I have had good luck with Red Wing work boots in my wyoming deer hunts. Those plus good wool socks have kept my feet going even after a soaking in a stream. Not specifically made for hunting, but work for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As several have mentioned, don't judge Meindl on the Cabelas version. I've had both and think the real Meindls are better quality than the Cabelas version. It's a shame Meindl puts their name on a lower quality boot, but they probably sell a lot more boots in the US that way and it probably doesn't hurt their European sales any. If you can find real Meindl boots, get them, otherwise buy Lowas, Scarpas, Kenetreks, etc.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
As several have mentioned, don't judge Meindl on the Cabelas version. I've had both and think the real Meindls are better quality than the Cabelas version. It's a shame Meindl puts their name on a lower quality boot, but they probably sell a lot more boots in the US that way and it probably doesn't hurt their European sales any. If you can find real Meindl boots, get them, otherwise buy Lowas, Scarpas, Kenetreks, etc.

Agreed!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Order up a pair of custom made Whites (Spokane). They will build the boots to FIT your feet. American made, assembled with triple stitching, glue, and screws, and can be rebuilt. They will not be molded plastic and fabric. Expensive, damned well worth it, and will not fail. Got my first pair when Danner went to making yuppie fabric hiking boots, and ordered a second pair 2 weeks later after a mountain deer hunt. Four pair at home now and wearing the 5th. Rest assured, one will be not be coming home from an extended trip with duct tape holding things together.

Seems to be the foot ware of choice for loggers and wild land fire fighters.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/02/15.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
try the perfect hikers, I have owned 2 pairs. The problem for me is the heels are too wide so if you are using EE you must have REALLY wide feet. The first pair I used on a 50 mile week long back packing trip and also on a couple hunting trips. ended up returning them because I didn't think I could live with the loose heels.

several years went by and I tried several other boots. none were as good as the perfect hikers even with the looser heels. These newer boots seem to run more true to size an 11 fits me now whereas a 10 was their sizing before. The heels also feel a little tighter. I used them for months as a work boot. if they fall apart that quickly your doing something wrong.

on edit, I just looked at those boots, IMO the design of them sucks. they use a compressible EVA midsole which will be terrible carrying loads with a heavy backpack. your simply not going to get the foot support. They basically put a tennis shoe bottom on them. That looks like the same sole as they put on some more tenny runner miendls I bought a while back. The sole lugs ended up ripping on mine. which allowed water ingress. just buy the perfekts like I said and be done.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 07/08/15.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've been following this thread for a while. Leaving for my 4th Elk hunt on my Meindls.... I just Nikwaxed them tonight for the 2nd treatment for this trip (did the conditioner first) as I have every trip. Now I'm wondering if I need to buy something else OR did I just get mine before they started to suck..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMG]http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/n2mywake/Mobile%20Uploads/20150804_215036.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by N2MyWake; 08/04/15.

West Kentucky Boy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by valad
This is an interesting read about the Meindl's. Just past a year ago or so I post this question on one of the forums here and one guy said he got his from Cabelas and he was able to return after abusing them for a few years. Now I am reading that Cabelas is carrying lower quality Meindls but am glad I did not buy from them. My problem is if I am going to drop $300 on boots I want to be able to try them on to ensure fit. Around here Cabelas is probably the store in VA that has a better supply of boots than the common boots you see in sporting stores. But then I do not hunt 75+ days a year as I am a working stiff smile

That may have been me, been a big Meindl fan for heck probably 20 years, had a pair of Cabelas Meindls that the soles came apart on after 8-10 years, Cabelas refunded me the purchase price and I bought another set, the new ones are not as nice as the old ones,,,,

Meindl will not stand behind their product,, I had a pair from a place,, AJ Brooks??? in Canada that had the same problem after 3-4 years,,,, they could not have cared less.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Order up a pair of custom made Whites (Spokane). They will build the boots to FIT your feet. American made, assembled with triple stitching, glue, and screws, and can be rebuilt. They will not be molded plastic and fabric. Expensive, damned well worth it, and will not fail. Got my first pair when Danner went to making yuppie fabric hiking boots, and ordered a second pair 2 weeks later after a mountain deer hunt. Four pair at home now and wearing the 5th. Rest assured, one will be not be coming home from an extended trip with duct tape holding things together.

Seems to be the foot ware of choice for loggers and wild land fire fighters.

Whites are good but I'm a Westco guy,,started wearing them 25 years ago while on a hotshot crew,,, best thing you can ever put on your foot,,, I bought a new pair last fall and we are really good friends at this point,,, The are a bit heavy though for alot of climbing

Location Western NC,
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of good suggestions here talus.

I'll agree with the one comment I saw regarding Vasque. I have this pair:

http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/mens-footwear/backpacking/sundowner-gtx-burgundy-07142#pdpTabs2

which I actually got on a "whim" as it was a uniform item for an agency I worked for. I, too, have extra wide feet, maybe from mostly running around in very loose sandals or bare feet for a good portion of my 60 years (I still do to this day). These boots have held up way better than I expected, no serious backpacking trips, but lots of hunting in them. I had a late Coues tag in 6b/8 south of Flagstaff last winter and they served me well in 6-8" of snow and temps down to 8 above. I don't particularly like the glue on sole, but they've held up for my purposes (hunting in varied terrain from low desert (Colorado River area, ponderosas, P-J's, rimrock, WA scabrock, etc). They're not nylon, but they are still available as I saw a pair at a local shoe shop.

As you're interested in a higher top nylon type maybe the ones the other person suggested would work:

http://www.vasque.com/USD/product/mens-footwear/hiking/breeze-2.0-gtx-bungee-pesto-07484

There's quite a few more on their website too.

Just an option as I said, I know what it's like to have a peasant's wide feet. The Vasques seem to fit mine, I even had a pair of more serious heavy backpacking/light mountaineering boots from them back in the 70's. Used them in the Olympics, Mt Rainer (summitted 40 years ago last month!) and the Sierras. Those lasted for years as they were re-soleable.

I follow this backpack hunting forum occasionally and have noticed some advice for other equipment that might help your situation too. Have you tried looking at some mountaineering/backpacking specialty shops? Is there maybe an REI near you? Sometimes a "backpacking" item might fit our "hunting" needs.

Good luck with the boot search and have fun this hunting season.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just thought I'd add to this thread that I have a pair of Alico Summits on the classifieds. They are 10.5 Ds with some barely worn scuff marks on them. They are Italian made and are all leather including interiors and are bank vaults for you feet meaning they are also heavy right at 5 lbs. I have already treated them with Obenaufs. At about half new price. I may have twenty miles on them if that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, you guys got me all worried, and I got another pair of Denali's. They say "Made in Germany" inside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Well, you guys got me all worried, and I got another pair of Denali's. They say "Made in Germany" inside.

Made in Germany is good,,,

Did you get them at Cabelas?? IE are they Cabelas "branded" ?? If so Cabelas will warrentee them

Location Western NC,
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've noticed online for the Cabela's Meindl boots that if they are made in Germany (Denali, Perfekt Hunter) it will say right in the ad. If they say 'imported' that makes me think they are made elsewhere.

What I've seen is Cabela's has vastly expanded their Meindl line to offer more 'affordable' footwear and this leads me to believe that in order to do so, they won't come from the Germany warehouse.

Guess what I'm getting at is what others have said: Not all Meindl's are made the same or same place so really inspect where they come from and not just assume Germany.

He went over yonder way
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PPosey

Made in Germany is good,,,

Did you get them at Cabelas?? IE are they Cabelas "branded" ?? If so Cabelas will warrentee them

Yep, Cabelas branded. My existing pair is going into its 4th season, and I love them. I bought them online, and they have opened a Cabelas in Anchorage since then. I went in to get a new pair that fit better because I have to wear really thick socks with the current ones (I bought them 2 weeks before a trip and didn't have time to send them back). Tried on enough to make the boot lady crazy, and when I got them home I realized they were the exact same size. Oh well - now I have backups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Perfekt Hunters I just recieved are labeled made in Germany. In my size (13) they came with a different sole than pictured in cabelas. These have Vibram sole with a rubber rand. They did note this online. I didnt want the other sole that was pictured. I will find out if they are any good soon enough but man oh man they are comfortable,

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had a pair of cabela meindl boots with the sub sole fall apart, they eventually refunded me but not without a fight, I initially contacted Meindl directly but they quickly advised me that since these were exclusive to Cabelas it was their problem.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

This. Have had the euro version since about 2008 or so. No issues to this point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by smokeeter
I had a pair of cabela meindl boots with the sub sole fall apart, they eventually refunded me but not without a fight, I initially contacted Meindl directly but they quickly advised me that since these were exclusive to Cabelas it was their problem.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also had a pair of Cabela Meindl boots and completely lost the sole of one boot the first day of an Alaska grizzly hunt,a few days later the other sole had delaminated between the heel and the ball of my foot. I hunted for 9 days without a sole on my left foot. Fortunately it was a horseback hunt. But I still had to climb and saddle up without a sole. I need to take pics of them.

I went to Cabelas in Anchorage after the hunt just to show them what happened. Then I went to Barney's and bought a pair of HanWeg Trappers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokeeter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have had 2 pairs of Meindl's do that,, one from a Canadian Meindl dealer after 4 years or so and it was SOL time,,

another pair from Cabelas that were 8-10 years old and they fully refunded me

Location Western NC,
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Holy [bleep]! That sucks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The same thing(pictured above) happened to a buddy of mine while we were on a caribou hunt. He used duct tape for the rest of the trip and managed to keep them together.

The same thing happened to my pair a year or so later while training over the summer. I took them back to Cabelas and they gave me store credit.

I did some research and got a pair of Kenetreks. Been very happy with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meindl and AJ Brooks thought I was crazy for wanting some sort of refund when my boots did that after 4 years,,, my point was that the rest of the boot was still in great condition but the POS foam soles had craped out way to soon,,, they could not have been less helpful,,,, I have a few emails somewhere from Meindl in Germany, they were also nooooo help.

Location Western NC,
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My Perfekt Hunters I just recieved are labeled made in Germany. In my size (13) they came with a different sole than pictured in cabelas. These have Vibram sole with a rubber rand. They did note this online. I didnt want the other sole that was pictured. I will find out if they are any good soon enough but man oh man they are comfortable,

Every boot I've had with a Vibram sole has been great. Is anyone else that has had the problems with the Perfekt's had a vibram sole or been labeled Germany? if not I will buy another pair like these.

****EDIT I see this says Perfekt "HUNTER" which is 400 gram...

Last edited by N2MyWake; 08/06/15.

West Kentucky Boy
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a pair of their Canadian Hunters from Cabelas that the midsole looked exactly like smokeeter's. Cabela's gave a full refund. I think the issue is with the use of polyurethane midsole. I have a pair of Lowa Baffin Pros. that did the same thing after four years with light use and they too had polyurethane midsole. Lowa customer service said called it oxidation and was to be expected. That being the case, their boots should come with an expiration date. I won't knowingly purchase any boots with these midsoles, I'll take longer break in over quick compfort that is subject to blow out without warning. I

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Had some good fun with John Graham at the Quemado meet recently. He walked over to me when I arrived and asked "Are these the Meindels you wrote about?"

"I think they are."

By the next afternoon he showed me his boot again. The rand was coming off in the old familiar places. Now, John did a lot of work at Quemado, but the environment did not qualify as anything but the easiest duty for a hunting boot.

As if reinforcement was needed.

That's a play on words there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,042
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.