South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Welcome Back, I am glad Georgia welcomed you in our typical southern hospitality and not the Big City Atlanta rudeness!!

The worst part of my travels has been returning to an International Airport, glad to hear ATL got it together!

Beautiful photos, my next trip is with Marius to Namibia

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dayum that looks like fun. Welcome back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you had a great time

Also glad you picked African Sky over Afton

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see that Mattheus is still with Daniel and Ansie. He is an excellent hunter. Did you try for steenbok- Kowas has some real trophies.

Who is John Galt?
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I saw loads of those steenbok but didn't shoot one. I wholeheartedly agree on Mattheus....he is an amazing hunter, spotter, tracker.

Following the same plan as last year, we would hunt for a big kudu near the hills. Mattheus told me that since the camel thorn trees were dropping their pods, something kudu absolutely love, that we could probably get away with hunting the lower country where the trees and hills met. It looked like this........

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

and this.....notice how easily you can see the cow in the photo below. Look closely just above her........

We were slowly still hunting through areas like these when we stumbled into a honey badger approximately 20 yards from us, with a small skunk hanging from his mouth! What a cool sight to see, another first for me. We watched him for probably 5 minutes before he took his food into a big hole.

Going another 1/2 mile or so, we jumped 3 kudu cows with a nice bull tagging along. They made it to the top of a hill about 300 yards away, giving us a glimpse of the bull as they scampered over the top and out of sight. Since I only had one full day and a few hours left, we decided to go after him again. We went to the exact place the kudu topped the hill, glassed a couple of minutes, and Mattheus saw the top of a bush moving violently at 800 yards. We waited a minute and sure enough that same kudu bull cleared a small opening at that distance, so we were off again. As you can tell the brush is relatively thick, and actually he got us right in amongst them, having a cow walk by us at 20 yards. One of the most amazing things about Mattheus was that he could see the animals through the brush, which was what he was doing at this time. After spending almost two cumulative weeks hunting with him, I could tell when he was serious just by his mannerisms. He was "on point", staring through a huge thorn brush thicket only 40 yards in front of us. I couldn't see squat quite frankly. After what seemed like about 5 minutes of this standoff, he slowly set up the sticks, motioned for me to slowly get ready, and had me focus on a small opening about 50 yards in front of us. I got ready, Mattheus grunted as the bull stepped into it, looked at us, and I drilled him through the neck (all I could see was neck up), and he folded like a lawn chair, crumpling straight down. All we could do was smile, and I had a big one. What an adrenaline rush that was, as kudu bulls are an addicting creature to me, and I never tire looking at them or for them.

I never measured him, and didn't care (although Mattheus said he would go about 50). Even though I had killed a 55" bull the year before, and knew this one wasn't that big, I still didn't care. He was a heavy horned bull with deep curls. What a hunt!!

The 160 Accubond, once again, performed perfectly, held together well, and was found near the bull's stomach, a full 3 ft penetration. All of the 6 bullets recovered from the 11 animals I killed looked very similar.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Jim! Keep them coming!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!

Sounds like a great hunt.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting that urge again!

OK...Poobs I'm going to lay down the gauntlet again! grin

JG great pictures....major suckage! laugh

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent pics and stories, nice bull JG!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sactoller

Get me a direct flight from the states to Windhoek...and I am there!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a seriously happy hunter. Love to hunt kudu and would do it every year if I could!

[img:left][URL=http://s156.photobucket.com/user/JGrimes_2007/media/20150427_082515_resized_zpstf3jnuht.jpg.html][Linked Image][/img]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by sactoller

Get me a direct flight from the states to Windhoek...and I am there!

Working on that as I type!

cool

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey sactoller, if nothing else, at least talk them into a quick stop/dropoff in WH on that ATL to JB flight please.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks like a great time, JG!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hey sactoller, if nothing else, at least talk them into a quick stop/dropoff in WH on that ATL to JB flight please.

No kidding...they gotta fly right over it anyway...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
11. The support from the 24HCF enablers is heartwarming.

BLOW IT OUT YOUR A..! smirk

...and welcome back wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw loads of those steenbok but didn't shoot one. I wholeheartedly agree on Mattheus....he is an amazing hunter, spotter, tracker.

Following the same plan as last year, we would hunt for a big kudu near the hills. Mattheus told me that since the camel thorn trees were dropping their pods, something kudu absolutely love, that we could probably get away with hunting the lower country where the trees and hills met. It looked like this........

and this.....notice how easily you can see the cow in the photo below. Look closely just above her........

We were slowly still hunting through areas like these when we stumbled into a honey badger approximately 20 yards from us, with a small skunk hanging from his mouth! What a cool sight to see, another first for me. We watched him for probably 5 minutes before he took his food into a big hole.

Going another 1/2 mile or so, we jumped 3 kudu cows with a nice bull tagging along. They made it to the top of a hill about 300 yards away, giving us a glimpse of the bull as they scampered over the top and out of sight. Since I only had one full day and a few hours left, we decided to go after him again. We went to the exact place the kudu topped the hill, glassed a couple of minutes, and Mattheus saw the top of a bush moving violently at 800 yards. We waited a minute and sure enough that same kudu bull cleared a small opening at that distance, so we were off again. As you can tell the brush is relatively thick, and actually he got us right in amongst them, having a cow walk by us at 20 yards. One of the most amazing things about Mattheus was that he could see the animals through the brush, which was what he was doing at this time. After spending almost two cumulative weeks hunting with him, I could tell when he was serious just by his mannerisms. He was "on point", staring through a huge thorn brush thicket only 40 yards in front of us. I couldn't see squat quite frankly. After what seemed like about 5 minutes of this standoff, he slowly set up the sticks, motioned for me to slowly get ready, and had me focus on a small opening about 50 yards in front of us. I got ready, Mattheus grunted as the bull stepped into it, looked at us, and I drilled him through the neck (all I could see was neck up), and he folded like a lawn chair, crumpling straight down. All we could do was smile, and I had a big one. What an adrenaline rush that was, as kudu bulls are an addicting creature to me, and I never tire looking at them or for them.

I never measured him, and didn't care (although Mattheus said he would go about 50). Even though I had killed a 55" bull the year before, and knew this one wasn't that big, I still didn't care. He was a heavy horned bull with deep curls. What a hunt!!

The 160 Accubond, once again, performed perfectly, held together well, and was found near the bull's stomach, a full 3 ft penetration. All of the 6 bullets recovered from the 11 animals I killed looked very similar.

]Just wanted to look at Jughead's photos again. Jealous here!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job, nice pics!

I've got the same fever for you, but its in the US and called Alaska.
Can't get enough of it.

Know how you must feel about Africa then.

Have no desire or urge for it though for some reason, different strokes as they say, so I appreciate the photo threads from the hunts. Nice to see the differing terrain and such as we'll never see it in person.

Booked for next year?

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Jughead........LMAO!

Jeff, I left another deposit with them when I left, so I am planning to go next year. The following year my daughter heads to college so I'm trying to get it out of my system before then......hopefully.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.