Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Its hard to work this two weeks away from family AND access to my hobbies!

I am forced to just think about all the things I enjoy about home life for two weeks at a time. Then I am at home for one week to spend my time with the wife, kids and responsibilities. Most times a week is just too short!

I have been excited about this new addition to my gun obsession! I spend lots of my free time wanting/waiting to enjoy loading, shooting and just carrying/hunting with the 99! Lol! Work gets in the way sometimes! Hah!

I am looking over the Accurate Moulds website trying to figure which cast bullet mould style/styles to try for this 99EG. These are what I am looking at so far, let me know what you guys think.

I will try to get a chamber cast completed to aid with the fine detailed measurements.

I will try to list them in order of what I feel would best suit the 99EG.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And last but not least:

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rick99
"But the real problem would be milling the lip into which the door lands when closed..."

It looks to just close against the wood stock...no lip. Or did I misunderstand the statement?

Hmm. Looking at it again you may be right, Rick. I thought I saw a lip at first. That would simplify things.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Darcy

I am looking over the Accurate Moulds website trying to figure which cast bullet mould style/styles to try for this 99EG. These are what I am looking at so far, let me know what you guys think.

I will try to get a chamber cast completed to aid with the fine detailed measurements.

Personally I would go with the 190 grain design. I shoot a 190 flat nose that pops out of an old custom Saeco mold that is very similar to this one. But that's my personal preference- a really heavy .30 cast bullet for hunting. They are real thumpers in the deer woods.

If just casual target shooting is all it would be used for, then either of the two lighter bullets look good too. Get one of them and save a little lead in the process. With a 40 grain difference between the smallest and largest, when you cast four of the little ones the fifth one is free, so to speak.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems I recall some military rifles with a similar kind of hinged buttplate as standard. I have now seen at least 3 of these hinged style buttplates on Savage guns. Two of them were on what appear to be special order guns. My gun is a solid forearm Model G in 22HP sn 330337. I sent Rick a text of the letter, hopefully he will post it.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was thinking the heavy bullet as well. I normally shoot the 311299,314299's allot in the 308 Winchester and 30-06, but a nose riding design wont work in this situation. A nice 190 flat nosed bullet at 1850-2000fps would do just fine in the deer woods!

I think the larger nose profile would center the bullet better in the throat and increase the probability of proper bore alignment. My only concern with this blunt profile is wether or not the magazine would effectively feed the cartridge into battery smoothly and dependably.

Last edited by Darcy; 04/17/15. Reason: Additional information for clarity
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I am forced to just think about all the things I enjoy about home life for two weeks at a time. Then I am at home for one week to spend my time with the wife, kids and responsibilities. Most times a week is just too short!

Ledcor or Suncor?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mad_dog

Ledcor or Suncor?

Welcome to the world of Northern AB! I at least have a bit of a better schedule with 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, but not nearly the OT / money as a 2 and 1, but hey at my age money is nice, but time is running short and is at a premium! So I want my time!

Blair

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Conoco

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Absolutely! We cannot buy time no matter how much money we make!

I would love the 2-2 schedual!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99trix
but hey at my age money is nice, but time is running short and is at a premium!

I remember my grandfather telling me: "The one thing money can't buy is time."

I had no idea what he was talking about when I was 15.

But I get in now....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thankyou Calhoun for the twist rate info!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No problem. Real thanks goes to Fug1899 for sharing that page from Charles Newton's book with me.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
be curious as to the barrel length on that 30-30.

I have a copy of the original factory ledgers for one gun that had a trap door buttplate. Though it was not nearly this late.

Andrew
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drew,
Would love to know the serial number or range on that factory ledger sheet. PM would be appreciated.
John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.