Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 63 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 62 63
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Nice. What's the correct sight picture for iron sighted AR's? Do you cut the target in half, set the target on the post, or float your target above the sight post? I have done it several different ways depending on the target and rifle but didn't know what the service rifle guys preferred while shooting at black dots.

Just got a NM carry handle. Will try with irons again on Sunday.

Yes.
The correct answer is going to be what works for your eyes vs the target. The most important part generally speaking is front sight focus.

Then comes target contrast, IE which hold tells you the most, whether you are off or on, and allows you to see the most minor mistakes.

FWIW standing slow and sitting rapid I ended up shooting center mass. I could not do that the rest. Prone rapid and all prone slow except 1000, was 6 oclock. Not flat tire 6 but full 6.

1000 was sub 6 frame hold and we quit shooting after I'd only shot 1000 twice with sub six frame hold but dang that worked the best by far for my elevation issues. Got that from the AMU that used my ammo to set the 1000 yard service rifle record. Figured it was a fair swap of data.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Thankfully my buddy Gruff is one that thinks ahead. He keeps irons on his AR just in case his optics fail. Unfortunately, his irons couldn't hit a 2X3' piece of cardboard @ 100yds.

Travis

My groups were schit, but definitely minute of commie thoracic cavity at 100. And the irons were zero'd. For me. Apparently just me. grin

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Are you guys shooting constantly or letting barrel cool between shots??

My 6.8 will do great for 3 shots and then open up as barrel heats up.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TLB2

I started out with a plan of shooting 5 then letting the barrel cool down and shooting 5 more. It was hot outside, my rest sucked and after the second flier the plan went out the window. I shot a 5 shot group then loaded 15 more in the mag and went for it.

Of coarse there is a competitive component to this exercise but it's also about learning your rifle and your ability with it.

The competitive side of me wants to try it again with a better rest and my AR-15. Another part of me wants to try it with my AK-47/Aimpoint Pro setup for the knowledge, chits and giggles. I've never shot a 20 shot group with it. Of coarse it won't be ranked but I'll probably learn from the experience. I'm definitely going to give the Mini 14 another run at it.

This has been a fun thread. Great idea Wareagle700!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I swapped into a new DD rifle and shot it yesterday, did not do very well so will not post the results, I am however convinced that 4X is not a high enough power to shoot this challenge, especially with a circle dot reticle. I shoot all the way thru with just enough time in between to recover and get my scope back on target, so I am not burning up the barrel nor am I letting it cool. I shot another 10 out of my Noveske barreled gun yesterday as well shooting a 62 grain TTSX load I hunt with, it shoots 1MOA with everything or thats about the best I can do.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

My matches required 10 shots in 60 or 70 seconds from standing, with a mag change, etc...

Slow fire portions of them, given a minute per shot, I"d shoot as fast as I could when the conditions allowed, single loading.

The way I shot this challenge is same, single loading as fast as I could get the right sight picture and the gun would go off.

Barrel heating up and wondering is nothing that would work for me, at least in my mind, even in a hunting gun.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sit down and shoot, you'll never know what your gun is capable of otherwise.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

My groups were schit, but definitely minute of commie thoracic cavity at 100. And the irons were zero'd. For me. Apparently just me. grin

Not unlike Mjolnir.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I shoot 40-50 rounds and then tape over the holes I don't want to include in the group. Then I snap a pic.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot 10 yards from the target and then take a picture of my rifle 100 yards away, cheaper that way.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yall should try shooting with the target folded in half. It's a cheaper way to get 20 rounds on paper with only 10 shots.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's an example of a truly "basic" AR, straight out of the box, with inexpensive ammo and a shooter more accustomed to 3lb triggers than the 8lb "staple gun" feel of a factory AR trigger.

I only shot one group for record, these were shots 11-21 out of the rifle; I didn't alter the gun except to remove the packing oil, re-lube with break-free and adjust the sight several inches to the left.

Rifle: Ruger AR-556
Sights: Factory flip-up rear, post-front.
Rest: Caldwell bags
Ammo: Federal American Eagle 223 Rem, 55gr FMJ BT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I went with a 6 o'clock hold on the bottom of the black. The vertical dispersion shows how poorly I held that sight picture.

The horizontal dispersion is likely a my poor sight pictures and my struggle against the trigger. The ammunition likely didn't help, but I doubt I would have done any better with better ammunition given the trigger, the sights and my inexperience with the rifle.

The center 8 shots are in a not-too-terrible group:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wasn't plotting my shots so I don't know whether those center 8 were from the beginning, the middle or the end.

10-shot groups are interesting to shoot, I found my sight picture deteriorating significantly as the string progressed. I think next time out I will take along my range timer and give myself a set time in which to fire, so I can rest my eyes periodically. I fired this group in less than a minute. Not rapid fire, but also not paced slow fire.

So here's what a $600 AR-15, straight out of the box, with basic inexpensive ammo can do when shot my someone (me) who doesn't regularly shoot AR's, and also doesn't regularly shoot with poor triggers (the only triggers I have that are heavier than this AR are the DA pull on my revolvers).

I like this little Ruger, it's no target rifle as currently configured but, then again, I didn't pay for a target rifle. I look at it like a Winchester 94 in 30-30: a basic "house" rifle, accurate enough with a practiced shooter to handle everyday rifle chores and inexpensive enough that there's no good reason not to have one.

That said, if I ever get bit by the AR bug I'm going to buy a Noveske Rogue Hunter upper and a Giessele trigger and really get this Ruger rockin' grin

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/21/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot my .300 Blackout yesterday, for S&G. I didn't beat DeFlave so I won't post the group size. smile The groups didn't really look that bad, but there were at least a couple of flyers in each 10 shot group that spoiled them. Need to tinker a bit more with the loads, and also get rid of the stock trigger. I have a Timney 4lb single stage that's ready to install.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 06/22/15. Reason: more info

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot again Saturday but didn't improve anything so didn't post anything. I did shoot irons and the first target was about 2", the second was 2 shots on each side of the paper so I quit wasting ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My groups were shot with 1-2 breaths between shots

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Have any of you guys tried the same challenge with your best bolt guns? Just to compare?

Travis

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have any of you guys tried the same challenge with your best bolt guns? Just to compare?

Travis

I have done a similar challenge and did much better with my bolt gun. I am not giving up on my AR though. I know I can get MOA or better groups without having to buy a bull barrel or 15lb AR-15. I won't be happy until I get all 20 rounds under MOA.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

well, almost...

[Linked Image]

smirk

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Travis

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I even fired off 5 shots with my 375 H&H for chits and giggles... blush

Realistically, one of my best shooting rifles is my 9.3x62mm, but I don't want to burn up the ammo for 2 10 shot groups and my shoulder probably doesn't want to endure that kind of pain... laugh.., but this is how it shoots:
[Linked Image]

I'm working on getting an AR. It might be a while though. This shoot here with all the participants has inspired me to start looking into building a nice one... Something I have never had an interest in.. Thanks guys...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Realistically, one of my best shooting rifles is my 9.3x62mm, but I don't want to burn up the ammo for 2 10 shot groups and my shoulder probably doesn't want to endure that kind of pain... laugh.., but this is how it shoots:

In my case, it's a .475 Turnbull smile

[Linked Image]

Page 20 of 63 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.