Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 63 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 62 63
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It worked. 2 10 shot strings slung up and prone with mag changes in 60 seconds at 100 yards. Testing some loads and needed a front sight adjustment to center up.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
nice shooting!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Heres my entry. My printer wouldn't print the target, but I made this work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

25 grains of TAC with 50 NBT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loaded some .308's tonight. Might have to see how one of the AR-10's will do... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was hot and windy, but interesting shooting the lighter of the two AR-10's.

This is the range:

[Linked Image]

The rifle is an AR-10. It's wearing a Leupold Mark 6 - 1x6 power , in a LaRue 1.5 mount. The barrel is an 18" mid-length Rainier Arms Ultramatch (Shilen blank) with a Vortex flash hider. The load was a 150gr Nosler BT in Nosler brass, over 46gr of Varget, sparked by CCI BR2 primers. Timney 4lb single stage trigger, and magpul ACS stock.

[Linked Image]

The wind was gusty. With it being hot I was shooting 5 shots, and letting the barrel cool off. On the 2nd group, I'd fired 5, then sat down again, and fired the one flyer, and realized the wind had quit. I adjusted hold, and it held quite a bit better. 9 of 10 were in 1.28"

[Linked Image]

So, one group at 1.71" and another in 1.85". A better shooter, one better at reading the wind, might cut that average by 1/2". A higher mag scope might help too.

But this one I call a heavy carbine, not really a bench gun smile

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice. I find the .308's to be tougher to tame, keeping 10 under 2 MOA isn't all that bad. I seem to be able to put 8-9 in 3/4 " and tend to pull one or two shots out of the group. I'm certain its me because I can repeat it.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
how certain are you that its you since you constantly repeat it? Sooner or later you should shoot all the shots good IMHO.

Now and then flyers can have personaly explanations, just like missed wind reads etc..

The longer this thread goes, it would be fun to see 10-20 shot groups at 300 or 600.

I know I've shot once. Grass is as tall as my shooting bench and life has not allowed me to shoot again, though I walk by my spotter, targets and knoblochs every few days getting on the mule to go do some task here that has to be done.

Finally got the tractor all parts together and running late last night.
Had other committments this morning, now I"m about to put the body on it to go disc and then finally the shredder. Maybe I can play again.

Texncal

Don't be afraid of heat and barrels. On good AR barrels that were cut, we still got 4-5000 rounds of top line match accuracy, and up to 10K plus of MOA accuracy, even though our game FORCED us to shoot 10 quickly in less than 40 seconds basically.
At least shooting lots of rounds in the heat doesn't scare me like it used to....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I should say most 10 shot groups from my .308 I tend to pull one or two consistently. When I can call the shots I feel like I can attribute that to my shooting vs. the rifles accuracy.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't much care for the AR10 platform. It doesn't quite feel right to me, but I've not shot it much. I"ve shot the M14 MUCH more.

IT may well be that simply the more recoil just takes a bit more to get on board with, and thats actually a fact, when you are used to the 15, minor things in form magnify...

if you are simply flinching from the 308, then you simply need to, if you want to fix it, do a LOT of ball and dummy training... it'll break you and fairly fast.

Or you can simply adapt my mental thought..... its going to make noise and push back no matter what round it is or what I do, if I activate it.
SO... I may as well hit what I"m after in the process. I had to let a 300 wtby hit me in the brow left handed once... had no other shot, long story, best deer of my life at the time, and I knew it was coming, and a tiny target in the brush, so I turned it loose, hit what I was aiming at, found out that 180 nosler partitions are not what I thought they were, and killed a good deer, and had a heck of a headache, but the Zeiss had a rubber ring so no actual cut....

Carolyn shot a squirrel here with a 378 wtby one afternoon, said yeah it thumped pretty good but why miss in the process...

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The more we shoot, the more we learn about our guns, loads and ourselves.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not flinching, recoil doesn't bother me. It's more of a fundamental issue. If I shoot enough I can work it out but getting to shoot often enough is the problem. Work and stuff ya know, sometimes shooting takes a back seat.

I agree TWR.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent thread guys. I've been following it and waiting patiently to get the chance to shoot an AR!!!! I couldn't stand it anymore, seeing how you guys are having so much fun. I am no where near a contender here and this was the second time ever firing an AR rifle. It was fun and I can see how it will be addicting. I'll be building or buying one in the near future: You can count on it cool. Today was a windy blustery/rainy day, then the sun would come out for 5 minutes and then it would start raining again grin, but shooting was good nonetheless. Here are the pictures to show what I was shooting. My buddy says it is the ATH Carbine Rock River with the 18" stainless tube. Rifle is just the way it came from the factory, except for the BCM charging handle. It is wearing a 4-16x50 Vortex viper (I believe). I'm not a huge fan of the scope personally and will have something different on the one I build. The Warne mount also loosened up while my friend was dialing it in sick.. I was shooting factory ammo, but I guarantee I'd be shooting handloads if it were mine, just sayin. I shot off the Caldwell bag shown in the pic. Range was 100 yards:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I focused a little better and actually focused the scope a little better (parallax and eye piece) for the second group... Duh!!! However, since my buddy didn't have too many rounds of the spendy CBC ammo and we aren't allowed to cherry pick groups, this is what it was.... I'm thinking the rifle I buy or build will be more accurate, plus more time behind the trigger of one of these AR's will be good for shrinking groups... Great thread, thanks for starting it and allowing me to play along...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice shooting, especially with a rifle your not familiar with!

Yep you will have to get one now, and they will multiply somehow as well.

Is CBC ammo made by Magtech?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Not flinching, recoil doesn't bother me. It's more of a fundamental issue. If I shoot enough I can work it out but getting to shoot often enough is the problem. Work and stuff ya know, sometimes shooting takes a back seat.

I agree TWR.

I know the back seat route, for years shooting was front seat, now its flipped for us.

308s get on my/our nerves after hundreds of rounds. Years ago 2 weeks at Perry shooting nationals and we both had scabs on our faces from recoil, and it actually got to a real mental game because it was starting to hurt to go prone and sling the gun for prone slow...

Do they kick? No, but cumulative will work on us anyway.

IF you are serious about shooting well, and have the time, or make the time, you can do LOADs of good with dry fire on the den floor.... takes less money/time than heading to the range if you don't have a range by walking out your back door like we do. Even then dry firing is cheaper, helps a TON, and is quicker than walking over to the range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Nice shooting, especially with a rifle your not familiar with!

Yep you will have to get one now, and they will multiply somehow as well.

Is CBC ammo made by Magtech?

My buddy buys expensive factory ammo, I keep trying to convince him to start loading for his AR but he's dragging his feet. I'd be loading some of those 77 grainers or even the 69gr. sierra matchkings in that rifle and rock on.. It's this stuff right here, but I don't know anything about it:

CBC 5.56 ammo

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I gave the custom Mini-14 another run at it and something went horribly wrong. I think my scope puked.

The 1st group went 1.85" and then the second group opened to 2.46" for an average of 2.15". Not bad for a Mini-14 but this rifle will do better. I'm sure of it. The range went clear so I walked down and tore the 1st target off and taped up a new one. On my second attempt the group was looking to be around 3" (not good) but the last three went all over the paper opening the group to something like 8"-10". I didn't bother to measure it. Hmmm, I let the barrel cool down and changed the target to try the forth group (on new paper hoping to better my first attempt) and some of the bullets aren't even hitting paper now! Down at the end of the range there are a bunch of clay pigeons at 225yds on the berm so I take a few pot shots at those. Dust flies up 4 and 5 feet away from the point of aim and hitting randomly high, low, left and right so I'm guessing the scope is toasted.

Oh well, this is my best and last attempt for the Mini-14 in the challenge thread. The scope is going back to Weaver and it's almost August. If I try it again it'll be with one of my AR's and probably not until late September. I only shoot because it's fun. It's miserably hot and the fun is gone for this year.

Here it is, 2.15" average for 20 shots.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not bad at all. Impressive.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would like to submit my newest black rifle.

Beretta Storm in .40 S&W. Shot with irons.

[Linked Image]

There was a horrible left to right wind gusting and that's what I believe threw that one right. Wasn't the gun and it goes without saying that it wasn't me.

The pic is fugked up angle wise but it is an honest 7" group.
[Linked Image]

Second group I'll call a 4.7.

[Linked Image]

Average of 5.85.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, you beat the Kel-tec I once owned, FWIW smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's gonna break some hearts if I take it out on a calm day.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 22 of 63 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.