Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That's a tall one for sure!

There are plenty of 'boogers' in the woods to a horse unfamiliar anything but a track or arena. his mind will come around.

You know how to do a one-rein stop? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've been pretty busy branding here the last few weeks. It's been a rainy spring so we've been having to sneak in small bunches in between the showers. This was earlier today. Today started out nice but we had to wait awhile to let the corrals dry out a little from the last few days. But start soon enough to beat the rain.

Those are my kids they are almost 12 and 8. We'd been sorting here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We use Nord forks. So you heel a calf with both hind legs then drag them by a guy holding the fork. As the calf goes by you slip the forks over their neck and then the horse holds them against the forks. Then the ground crew goes to work on them.

So in this pic they've just gotten done and I'm starting to turn my horse to the left to drag the calf out of the pen. And running a little rope to give the calf some slack so the forks will come off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is after we were done. I'm not sure if this was cowboys and indians or the Kentucky Derby.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Work for you folks, but would surely be fun to do sometime!

Those kiddos are growing like weed! Whatcha feeding them? laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks to all for some great photos!!! I've enjoyed them all! Especially good to see the young folks out riding and working!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not a good year for me with riding, But I am going to try to get out more starting this week. Daughter is a senior, getting ready for college and working. She doesn't have a car so Dad's taxi is keeping me busy. No sports for the kids, but both in FFA so have days they need to be picked up after school. I get out of work at 2:30 so I'm elected to do it. wife gets home about 5:30. On top of that, my 14 YO son hates horses and loves fishing so we go out on the boat once during the week and once on the weekend to fish. Concerts, awards ceremonies...... Then there is normal home and barn maintenance. I'm looking forward to school getting out so I have some more time!!!

I did spend a week in Arizona near Kingman hunting lion on horseback. Awesome!!! want to move there.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

Yessir, I surely do! We practiced it quite a few times in the arena before I took him on a real mountain ride.

I tried it a few miles in to the ride directly after he "smelt a barre in the woods," a la Davey Crockett.

I slid my hand down the rein and stared to turn him on his haunches.

He took that as a signal to kick it up a gear, headed around the "Clubhouse Turn," and didn't stop for about a mile. Or, you know, 8 furlongs, I guess.

He hasn't done it since wink

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
Ralphie, these pics--and your family--are just beautiful!

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 270winchester, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.