Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a B-78 .300 H&H made for the RMEF the other day, and was wondering what could be done. I won't own a gun I don't shoot, even if it is very pretty.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a B78 in 30-06 and it's a decent shooter even with the crappy trigger. I asked my gunsmith if the could improve it and he said he didn't want to even try. Mine will do an inch and bit better every once in a while when I do my part.
I do prefer rifles that shoot tiny groups but I set a limit of 1.5" average as the largest groups I'll accept if it's a rifle I really like. My Ruger M77 RSI is on such rifle Took two years to find a load it really likes.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My experience mirrors PJG's. Mushy, creepy trigger pull for sure, but after a couple hundred rounds down the tube I got used to it and didn't mind it. In the end I must have put 3000 rounds through that Browning B-78.

To me it's a non-issue. I'm not that much of a trigger snob that I would let it stop me from owning another one. Every one of the hundreds of rifles I owned in my life had a different trigger pull and rather than beat my head against the wall I made do with each one. Kinda like the guy who can blithely jump behind the wheel of any kind of car or truck and take to driving it instantly.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Give Lee Shaver a call. Muddy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm unclear if we're talking about the original B78 from the 1970s/80s, or the "new" B78.
The earlier rifles had a very adjustable, though complicated, trigger, so it's just a matter of adjusting it (have to take the stock off to access all 3? screws as I recall).

The new B78 probably has the same non-adjustable triggers that the 1885 has, so there, all bets are off. Too bad the simple, cheap JP fix is no longer available. I have one on my 22 LW and it results in a very nice crisp, light let-off.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 05/05/15.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the replies guys.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
I'm unclear if we're talking about the original B78 from the 1970s/80s, or the "new" B78.
The earlier rifles had a very adjustable, though complicated, trigger, so it's just a matter of adjusting it (have to take the stock off to access all 3? screws as I recall).

The new B78 probably has the same non-adjustable triggers that the 1885 has, so there, all bets are off. Too bad the simple, cheap JP fix is no longer available. I have one on my 22 LW and it results in a very nice crisp, light let-off.

What you are referring to as the “New B78” is actually an 1885 High Wall that the Browning marketing guys labeled the B78 Sporter. Since I’m a Browning Dealer & also worked with their Marketing Dept. when writing my book on the 1885 High Wall BPCR models, shortly after the introduction of the B78 Sporter I realized the action was actually the standard 1885 High Wall, which I confirmed with Browning. Their justification for calling it a B78 Sporter was strictly based on the design/contours of the stock, forearm and barrel, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Therefore, for the factory to label a rifle with an 1885 action a B78 flies in the face of common sense. What about gunsmiths and rifle owners trying to disassemble and reassemble the action? Knowledgeable gunsmiths will quickly realize the difference, but the average gun owner may be very confused. To some extent this is reminiscent of Browning’s decision several years ago to use the 1885 receiver descriptor, knowing that, although the receiver profile may look like an original Winchester 1885 High Wall, the action components are completely different. I don’t intend to rehash that topic, but I’m aware that many of you have taken issue with Browning’s decision on the subject.

Numerous copies of my Browning BPCR book have been sold to non-BPCR Browning M1885 owners for the sole purpose of figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble the 1885 action. As some of you know, the ASSRA routinely supplies a copy of Browning’s B-78 Field Service Manual to owners of "original" B-78 rifles for the same reason. It stands to reason that many owners of the "new" B78 Sporter will eventually realize their rifle's action is not a B-78 and the "original" B-78 Field Service Manual (parts lists and instructions) is not applicable. I’ve been and most likely will continue to be a staunch Browning supporter, but the rationale behind this marketing decision by Browning escapes me.

BTW, contrary to your comment, the Browning new B78 and the 1885 High Walls and Low Walls have adjustable triggers utilizing a single adjustment screw located just behind the trigger which is easy to access. Yes, the adjustment range is limited but for $35 Lee Shaver will work on the sear resulting in a very nice, crisp trigger in the 1.5 to 2 lb range.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 05/09/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wayne, thanks for the additional, thorough comments. I am aware that the new 1885/B78 triggers are "adjustable", but that is pretty much a joke when compared with my "real" B78.
It may be just me, but I don't think a rifle in this price range should have to be sent to someone (with a fairly long wait time?) to get a decent trigger. As I said, the JP replacement screw for the newer Highwalls, now long discontinued (I got mine through Brownells) is/was a great, simple and immediate fix for the "one-screw adjustable" triggers.
My newer Winchester Highwall Traditional Hunter in 32-40 was worked on by Steve Durren before I acquired it, and it is now excellent. The other two I have are OK, but nothing to get excited about.

I agree with you on Browning?winchester's unfortunate model designations for formerly discontinued rifles. Not much imagination or knowledge of their history in their marketing department apparently

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 05/10/15.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Wayne, thanks for the additional, thorough comments. I am aware that the new 1885/B78 triggers are "adjustable", but that is pretty much a joke when compared with my "real" B78.
It may be just me, but I don't think a rifle in this price range should have to be sent to someone (with a fairly long wait time?) to get a decent trigger. As I said, the JP replacement screw for the newer Highwalls, now long discontinued (I got mine through Brownells) is/was a great, simple and immediate fix for the "one-screw adjustable" triggers.

We'll have to agree to disagree because the original B78 I've worked on had very complicated trigger groups and, although adjustable, were a pain to adjust.

And I've fully evaluated all three trigger modifications for the Browning 1885, J&B trigger kit, McGee modification and Lee Shaver's sear modification. The J&B and McGee limits sear engagement and due to the adjustment requirements can result in an unsafe trigger as the tip of the rifles sear wears.

The Lee Shaver sear modification is a much safer option and the rife is not sent to Lee. Only the trigger, with original factory installed sear, is sent with a very reasonable fee ($35 at the time of this writing). In a week or two, the trigger/sear is returned along with a lighter trigger spring. The trigger/sear is simple to remove and reinstall.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, they're a pain to work on and adjust; no doubt about it. But the end result is worth it in my opinion.
I may have to try Shaver's trigger job for one of the other Traditional Hunters I have. The safety issue with the JP kit could well be a concern, but since I don't hunt with my Highwalls, I can live with it, and wish they were still available.
Regards,
Lance

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Echoing what Wayne posted, my Brownings, as well as several others I know of, all have had Shaver's trigger jobs and have been shot for thousands of rounds, some of it in serious competition. They have stayed crisp and consistent. All Shaver needs is the trigger, which can be easily removed by removing the butt stock and pushing out the single pin that holds the trigger in the receiver.

As I have posted on occasion, if someone wants simple take-down and an adjustable trigger, the modern Brownings aren't for them. Ditto if historical authenticity is important. However, they do shoot and shoot very well.

And a plug for Wayne's book, which every serious Browning owner should have, as well as any gunsmith who plans to work on them.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee Shaver did a trigger job on my Low Wall .260 and it's a huge improvement.

He only had the trigger for about a week. It was well worth the $35. IMO.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There's an aftermarkt spring kit fo the b78 that makes it much better

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The original B78 trigger could be improved immeasurably by replacing it with a Canjar. Otherwise, the adjusting screws could be turned to the point that the trigger would quit working but it was always a squishy, creepy trigger.
All was not rosy with the Canjar either and it was usually necessary to stone the sear to get it to function properly. The problems were exacerbated by the trigger housing which distorted when the buttstock through bolt was tightened up. The Canjar trigger had exactly half as many parts as did the stock trigger but it still had about four too many.
I probably installed a dozen or so Canjars back in the late seventies and my best time was about an hour and a half. As I recall, my worst was closer to four hours! GD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.