Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
It’s obvious that lead is the main element in cast bullets and all are aware of the old adage “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink”. And surely you’ve led a group of folks at one time or another. But many of us inadvertently use lead when referring to the ramped transition from the chamber or free bore to the lands, for which leade is the more correct term. Many, many years ago when, as a novice shooter I was reading and learning about chambers and bores, I remember this being a point of confusion.

SAAMI (Sporting Arms & Manufacturer’s Institute) defines leade as: “That section of the bore of a rifled gun barrel located immediately ahead of the chamber in which the rifling is conically removed to provide clearance for the seated bullet”. The key word here is “conically”, as in cone-shaped, otherwise completely removing the rifling results in free bore, defined by SAAMI as the: “A cylindrical length of bore in a firearm just forward of the chamber in which rifling is not present”. But SAAMI does recognize that lead and leade are used interchangeably by some.

When writing about chambers and bores it helps me to remember to use the correct spelling if I think of leade as an abbreviation or contraction of the leading edge of the lands.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 05/03/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can you imagine the 'kornfusion' a furriner has????

Course...everybody north of Mason-Dixon is a 'furriner'!! grin grin

Last edited by Sharpsman; 05/03/15.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was talking to a Ferengi just a few days back on this very subject. It gave me a headache.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
English is a funny language.

"My great inspirations in life are my parents, the Pope, and Mother Teresa."

"My great inspirations in life are my parents, the Pope and Mother Teresa."

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's mis-leading

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My Aunt told me to go down to the barn and help my Uncle Jack, off the mule.

My Aunt told me to go down to the barn and help my Uncle jack off the mule.

grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's just grotesque. sick

grin

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Now that you guys have denigrated this thread cry I thought I’d mention “lead” in your pencil, which many of you old geezers have run out of. grin

Last edited by texasmac; 05/05/15.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.