Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
In 2013 Harrison Beene ar AR Performance introduced a cat for the AR-15 called the 270AR. Its based on a shorted 308 family case necked down to the 277 in order to fit in a AR-15. Performance is pretty good with a 130gr bullet going a around 2800fps from a 20in barrel. Last fall a few of us started chatting about the same concept but in a 7mm. Bruce Finnegan took the lead and a bunch of us jumped in and funded the reamers and other tooling he needed to make the cat a reality. At first we were discussing just necking up the 270AR to 7mm but it soon was aparent that the shoulder needed pushed back a bit more to allow for the longer bullets. Bruce now has a 24in AR and a 26in bolt and one of the early testers has a 16in AR and a 20in on the way. The rest of us have about 12 in all have a variety of barrel lengths ready to get reamed once the reamers are available to the smith.

The bolts and barrel extenstions used are from ARP what they call the 800 series bolt. It fits a normal AR-15 carrier and made for the 308 case head. Its pretty beefy with rounded lugs and can stand pressures up to 60K. Bruce has a pressure trace system and calling top loads at 57k to leave a margin of safety.

Leverevoution powder is the key enabler and was designed for max velocity from smaller cases and its no surprise its the top performer matching 7mm08 factory loadings. We are getting 2830fps from a 140gr Nosler BT. He got some 160gr Federal Fusion bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading which aren't normally available as a reloading bullet. I called federal and they confirmed a BC of .528. Max velocity is 2660fps which is a 57K but the accuracy nodes seem to be at 2600fps and 2550fps from a 24in barrel.

The cartridge OAL is 2.295 to fit in a AR-15 magazine we are using 6.8SPC PRI mags which seem to work best. About 7 rounds will fit in a 10 round PRI mag. The mag limitations do limit some bullet selections i have put together a spreadsheet of the bullets that will work about 50 bullets so far which covers from 100gr all the way up to 168gr. Basically the bullets with longer nose cones probably won't work in the AR-15.

When using leverevolution factory 7mm08 performance is possible so this AR cat will be large game capable including Elk and Moose. If your interested in our community project you can read on this thread on msrhunt.com and or the 7mm Valkyrie AR Facebook Group if your on facebook. The cat is not for everyone of course the preferred parent brass is 6.5X47 Lapua which is easiest to form but does require neck turning. The new Hornady Lock N Load neck turning tool has made that part easy. I have a 270AR and messed around with the Forster lathe and recently got the Hornady lathe and its way better. Neck turning is now a breeze. We kind of expect this to stay a small enthusiast cartridge not everyone wants a higher performance AR-15 for hunting but thats ok. its a cartridge we wanted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 05/05/15.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Less case capacity, but same speed.. Can I get a free lunch with that?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Here's what they look like in the mag.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What primer?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The 6.5X47 parent brass uses small rifle primers. Here's a video of me making 270AR brass the procedure will be the same for 7mm Valkyrie AR but will be expanded to 7mm vs 270.

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 05/06/15.
IC B2

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Less case capacity, but same speed.. Can I get a free lunch with that?

Yes less case capacity but getting 7mm08 factory velocities (also notice i'm not saying a 7mm Valkyrie AR handloads can match 7mm08 handloads). Sounds fishy but we are using newer powders like Leverevolution which is tuned to push pills 100 to 150fps faster out of smaller cases. You don't need the same size case now to get the same results as you used to need. The 7mm VAR design is taking advantage of advancements it powder to get similar performance out of a smaller case that will work in an AR-15. The lunch is not free because other trades off exist like a 7 round mag capacity and not all 7mm bullets will work do to the shorter mag. VLD's for example will not work for mag length loads.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Has it been pressure tested?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Magic powder again..

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Has it been pressure tested?

Yes in the original post there's a couple links and you can see all the range testing for velocity and accuracy and pressure trace results. Every week more testing data is added all of it both good results and bad. This is a community project

http://www.msrhunt.com/post/introducing-the-7mm-valkyrie-ar-7266680?trail=15

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Magic powder again..

Just like Hornady Super Performance factory loads? Are those "magic"?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What primer?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Higbean
What primer?

Bruce is testing with rem 7 1/2 small rifle primers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SoCalPigHunter
Magic powder again..

I'll never trust factory claimed velocities. And I sure won't trust any magic powder and fairy dust claims.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Suit yourself i'm not making any money at it i could careless what your believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could not care less..

You're claiming magic numbers. With real number results, I'm betting a 6.5 Grendel hangs with your baby.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Go to the link and see real the results for yourself its all there pics of the shot groups with charge weights, pressure trace graphs and velocities. I have lots of ARs and yes some grendels. I don't care if you like it or not but its real.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SoCalPigHunter
Magic powder again..

I'll never trust factory claimed velocities. And I sure won't trust any magic powder and fairy dust claims.

if you think there is no such thing as a better powder over the years, N500 series is a prime example, as was TAC... you are dreaming.

But I won't get into this exchange, either you like the proposed round or you don't. A million wildcats for all kinds of guns, take what you like and run it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seen a guy on predator masters that did a 257 wildcat on the x47 case. IMO this is the best usable upgrade over the other cases out there. I think this wildcat makes the most sense in a 6mm version and a 22 cal version. near 22-250 performance. I hope the day will come when there are plug and play parts out there to build a standard bolt face ar varient. another interesting one is based on the br case

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I seen a guy on predator masters that did a 257 wildcat on the x47 case. IMO this is the best usable upgrade over the other cases out there. I think this wildcat makes the most sense in a 6mm version and a 22 cal version. near 22-250 performance. I hope the day will come when there are plug and play parts out there to build a standard bolt face ar varient. another interesting one is based on the br case

Its the same guy hes calling his 257 the Bobcat. My 270AR is getting 2800fps with a 130gr Nos BT from my 20in barrel these velocities are real. I have not gotten my 7mm Valkyrie AR 20in barrel but when i do i'll video tape shooting it over a crony and show the primers. I don;t have a pressure trace system like Bruce does so can't show that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah thats him, that is the most meaningful ar wildcat case I have personally seen yet. its not the WSSM case but it is a meaningful step up over say the grendel and 6.8 cases which IMO if they are loaded to equal pressures aren't enough of a jump over the 223 case to get excited about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.