24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the older I get the more pride I take in getting in close and placing a shot exactly,where I want it too hit ,rather than being mostly concerned with just "GETTING and ELK".
Ive taken most of the slightly over two dozen elk Ive killed in the last 45 plus years with a 340wby or 375 H&H, most at well under 150 yards, and while I practice shooting out to 500 yards Ive rarely seen elk out at 250 yards or longer ranges.
just "GETTING and ELK has ceased to mean a great deal to me, but getting a good elk, or helping a friend get a trophy, that I got into close range with before shooting has become more important.
I recently purchased a BLR in 450 marlin and while that might seem a step backwards to some I look back over 45 plus years and can,t think of many chances Ive had that that lever gun would not have handled admirably.
as Ive stated before my late hunting partner used a blr/358 win for decades with zero issues

BP-B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My personal criteria is close enough that the bullet is doing at least 1800-2000 FPS, I am able to reliably judge the wind, and am in a position where I can hold within the vitals. Offhand, huffing and puffing after climbing a mountain, that range may be pretty close. Lying prone over a bag at the edge of a treeline watching a field with light winds and it goes much further.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Is the balloon equipped with a winch and 2 miles of wire rope?

No.
I shoot, go home, then call a friend with the GPS cords.

P.S. They bring the winch.
Her name is Tiffiny.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Blueranger
What thoughts and limits have you put on your elk rifle/bullet set-up if any?

Unless I'm shooting a large diameter flat point bullet or a patched round ball, I insist on expansion. I limit myself to whatever distance the bullet I've selected, fired from the platform I've selected, reliably expands. I've used some lead core pointy-point bullets that can't be counted on below about 2200 fps impact speed. Others expand down to about 1800 fps. The new Nosler Long Range Accubonds are supposed to expand clear down to 1300 fps. I also limit myself to whatever distance I think I can reliably hit a big grapefruit. That leaves enough margin of error for a couple things to go slightly wrong and still give a clean killing shot.

Taken together, those eliminate a lot of shots for me that I hear about other people taking just as a matter of course. The best long-ish range rifle I ever owned would give me a 4 inch group at 600 yard shooting prone if I wasn't fighting wind and mirage. For now that's my absolute limit. I don't currently own anything I'd shoot that far with.

With a handgun or muzzleloader I limit myself to about 75 yards. I'm not shooting past that. With a straight walled case, say .45-70 or the like, I might go to 150 yards if the gun delivers grapefruit sized groups at that range.

The only specific number I use as a rule of thumb is requiring a .270 or higher SD on any jacketed bullet I expect to expand.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by SLM

Is the balloon equipped with a winch and 2 miles of wire rope?

No.
I shoot, go home, then call a friend with the GPS cords.

P.S. They bring the winch.
Her name is Tiffiny.

Pics?

This is all why I enjoy hunting with young kids so much. They don't know SD from an STD. They just enjoy the hunt and don't try to over complicate things.

When you take them shooting they don't stress over a .67549 group vs a 2.67549 group. Just give them "stuff" to shoot and it doesn't take long to figure out what their limits are.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think on cup and core bullets foot pounds energy should equal twice animals weight on impact. Sectional density of .25 or more. Monolithic should impact animal at 2000 fps or more. The monolithic can have less s.d. and foot pounds energy. Another factor that is huge for elk is time after shot available for tracking and carcass processing and ambient temperature. The bigger they are the quicker they sour.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Pics?

This is all why I enjoy hunting with young kids so much. They don't know SD from an STD. They just enjoy the hunt and don't try to over complicate things.

When you take them shooting they don't stress over a .67549 group vs a 2.67549 group. Just give them "stuff" to shoot and it doesn't take long to figure out what their limits are.

I agree with you SLM.
Fun shouldn't be complicated.

[Linked Image]

Have Dog

Will Travel

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like to use my suppressed AR with 55gr FMJs at 1000+ yards. Just "make it rain" bullets down on them with a couple of 30rnd magazines. One will drop eventually. YMMV

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wageslave...I bet it is fun helping her get in the truck!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gating factors are as foillows:

1. Confidence in my ability to make the shot.
2. Confidence in the bullet for the particular situation, including angle and range.

If I'm not sure I can make the shot, no shoot.

Likewise, if I'm not confident the bullet construction and retained velocity and energy are adequate to the task at hand, no shoot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The yardstick is easy...unless you know with a 90% probability, that you can hit the boiler room, first shot, cold barrel...don't shoot.

It's that simple.

Ninety percent, because no one is perfect,and every shot at big game carries some risk once the bullet leaves the barrel.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If you can't run fast enough to catch up to it, stick your finger in its ass then kink your finger and catch it ....then it isn't ethical. Period.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What if you're left handed?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Wageslave...I bet it is fun helping her get in the truck!

I got a looooong pole, Brother.......... cool

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I do not consider myself a long range hunter. I will practice out to 500 yards this summer until I get it learned for the occasional Axis that presents himself at such distance.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
As mentioned in another thread, in years past when meat was very important to our economy, I did shoot several elk at 600.. But the last years, with less pressure for meat in the freezer, those shots have been turned down.. Plus now I have more time to hunt rather than just weekends and after work.. I would say I feel very comfortable with a 400 yard shot, as I shoot at that distance very often..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Doesn't a longer barrel also guarantee longer-term endorsement contracts?

I always thought it wasn't how long your barrel is, it's how much powder you have in the cartridge.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think hunters should take any shot that they are comfortable with and confident of making.

This.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I keep it simple. Whatever it takes to put a big hole through both lungs. Preferably two holes in the hide too.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep it simple. Whatever it takes to put a big hole through both lungs. Preferably two holes in the hide too.

Two holes? I did that! The first elk I killed was a ranged 400 yards. I was using my Short Fat Seven before short and fat was in; except for some of our wives. I gave the hide to a budding taxidermist. It was a perfect broadside shot. He told me there was a 6" bruise on one side and a 3" bruise on the other side. The Nosler Partition 160 grain took off the top of the heart. Starting velocity was 3,100 feet per second.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
99 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.