Print Thread
Hop To
J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Does anyone know if there are any quality replacement bottom metals for the 7s? I see where PT&G has a steel in the white b/m but was wondering if anybody knew of maybe a stainless or aluminum unit to replace the plasticky looking potmetal one that comes on the s/s models.
Thanks, John

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The factory potmetal is not plastic, it's just painted. There's not many lightweight replacements out there. I'm pretty sure that PT&G made a limited run of aluminums about three years ago and said they would not do it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only stainless one I ever found. Link

Site said these were manufactured by Remington. Wonder why they never sold to the public?

Pricy but I'm thinking about one. Never saw an aluminum one.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks guys, I don't know how I missed the ss one on PT&Gs site, unless I quit looking when I saw the "steel only" on that one. Thanks again, that's just what I was looking for.
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well worth the money, I think.

I've suffered through a couple of rifles with alloy guards, but never learned to love them. None live here at present.

Not a hater, just a fussy old fat man.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

J
john843 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Well worth the money, I think.

I've suffered through a couple of rifles with alloy guards, but never learned to love them. None live here at present.

Not a hater, just a fussy old fat man.

I agree. I've been looking for a ss pre j lock, pre xmp trigger for a while. Lucked into this one- a '98 gun with very few rounds thru it. It has LS on the barrel shank in addition to the date code so I'm assuming that it was a laminate/stainless that someone dropped in a B&C Carbelite and pretty much put away. Could pass for a brand new one in it's new HS stock. I haven't had a problem with the fac. bottom metal but it certainly looks like the weak link in a rifle that will hopefully see a lot of use. With the deal I got on the gun, don't feel bad at all with 2 bills for the bottom metal.
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by john843
Does anyone know if there are any quality replacement bottom metals for the 7s? I see where PT&G has a steel in the white b/m but was wondering if anybody knew of maybe a stainless or aluminum unit to replace the plasticky looking potmetal one that comes on the s/s models.
Thanks, John

I'm quite sure the OEM version is an aluminum alloy of some type- coated with something. It's not pot metal (zinc alloy) IOW. It might be possible to chemically remove the coating and have it anodized perhaps.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally model 7s had steel bottom metal. I don't know how long that lasted but I do know I have one leaning in the corner here. It was a stamped affair, but it was well done and looks quite good I think.

The aluminum, yes aluminum and not pot metal, units are finished with some type of paint or lacquer that is really tough. Bead blaster will remove it and you can send them out to be anodized, but it takes some serious blasting to get it off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not that I think the alloy will fail somehow. I just don't like it. To reduce weight, a blind magazine with just a trigger guard like a Montana seems like the way to go.

Aluminum has its uses, but usually looks and feels like crap in my hands. I do carry an Airweight .38 and appreciate the weight reduction it offers, and it seems to be holding up okay.

If I squint my eyes a bit, I don't even notice it's made out of aluminum. Much.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Does bottom metal include detachable magazines?CDI makes a bottom metal unit that accepts accuracy intl magazines.Been thinking of going this route myself.fwiw

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 7 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.