Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Headed down to Biloxi in a couple of weeks and want to get in a little fishing. I've never fished saltwater before and may never again so I don't want to get to crazy buying stuff. Can you recommend a couple of must have lures? I haven't gotten it all ironed out yet but I anticipate bank/pier/wade fishing. Thanks

GB2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I really like Vudu shrimp. They are rubber shrimp that look real. Use them under a popping cork or cast and retrieve slowly

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
also, a red and white mirrorlure....

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
and maybe a gold sea sprite spoon for the reds....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Typically we used live bait for both. Shrimp.

If not, we usually ran tandem jigs like Afterum's, only not so fancy. Just cheap grub tail plastics.

Have fun and post pics!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bring a heavier 20+# set up for cobia as well. I think there is a spring run that you might get into.

Call down to a couple local bait and tackle shops or a local guide or two.

May be worth a few bucks for a half day trip.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've caught a bunch of specks with a red/white jerk bait Mirrolure. I typically remove the last treble and put a 20" leader on the eye and run a leadhead jig off it to cover top and subsurface.

Of course it's tough to trump live shrimp.

The majority of my reds have come either with shrimp or crab.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Been a few good suggestions so far. Mirrolures are a standby as well as spoons but one of my biggest producers has been a Cocahoe soft plastic rigged on a 1/4oz jighead. I prefer avocado and red flake color but root beer and smoke are also good.

Vudus are getting a lot of success as well. Another standby that predates the Vudu is the DOA shrimp. You can cast and retrieve like a grub or tie it under a Cajun Thunder popping cork (about 18-24" leader) and cover some ground with that. Pretty hard to beat that combo when using artificial.

If you can get your hands on some live shrimp it would trump any artificial. Best bet is the same popping cork mentioned above with the same leader length but a smallish hook with a split shot or two just a couple inches above the hook. I prefer an Owner #4 light Mutu circle hook but any comparable hook will work. Just hook them through the horn on their head but avoid piercing the brain.

If you are stuck to beaches and piers I am not sure I would bother with the 20lb+ rigs. The cobia run is about to get going any time now (still not hearing any local reports yet) but that is really only happening around the barrier islands, reefs and gas rigs several miles offshore from Biloxi. Any standard bass tackle should get you taken care of and a 6-7' m. heavy rod with 10-15lb test line will work. I usually run 10lb or 12lb for most of my speck and red fishing. It looks like we should have a couple weeks of dry weather so there is a chance the water could clear up a bit before you get here. If that is the case the lighter lines/leaders could be beneficial as specks can be a little leader shy at times...reds, not so much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahh....good info on the cobia. I used to see them on occasion fishing the pier in Navarre FL.

I thought they were sharks when I first saw them. Laffin'!

Good luck BE!

B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the info fellas that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll lay in a couple each of the lures mentioned and hopefully find a bait shop with live shrimp.

I took your advice Mooner and booked a trip out of Bay St. Louis but I've still got a couple days before that to mess around on my own.

Thanks again

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always run braided line inshore, hell most everywhere. Cast further and you can jerk some lips with it. Don't hurt when a Cohiba slurps up your pinfish either.

B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I was reading about that Steelhead. Braid with a fluoro leader seems to be the consensus. What brand do you favor?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mostly Berkley Fireline on the spinning rods, which is what I've used for all of my speck fishing and the majority of my red fishing.

Leader depends, I've fished lots of dirty water and I just use plain old mono.

B
BigEars Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Got it. This is a world apart from the farm ponds and quarries that I normally fish but I'll get it sorted out...or not. Either way I'm having a good time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with the lures suggested. Silver and gold spoon, topwater and something heavier (jighead/bucktail) for deeper in the column.

If you don't find VUDU shrimp, the "regular" Gulp! Alive shrimp in 3 or 4" should work. Can be used with popping cork, jigheadin the bottom and slow retrieve, just let the scent work for your benefit. Don't work it too fast. White/chartreuse and new penny color (natural) have worked for me.

A topwater in white/redhead or something pink will drive trout crazy, and water is getting warmer so fish will be more active and subtlety and finnesse is not as important.

If fish are feeding, anything that get's tossed to them will be eaten. Fishbites may help with reds somewhat, as they are opportunistic feeders searchers, trout are more aggressive (typically).
I use 20lb powerpro braid on a 3000 size reel, 7ft med fast rod.
Rinse your equipment after using. I sometimes connect the braid directly to the lure with a clip or add regular clear mono, never used fluoro (maybe catch rate would increase??)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DOA shrimp. Tie them on your rod with a loop like you would a rapala. You will outfish people with live bait.

You can fish it like a worm, or jig, or skim it across the water. They seem to hit it mostly on the drop. Colors don't seem to matter too much, but I like the natural looking best myself with a little gold fleck or orange tail.

A DOA under a popping cork works great too if the bottom is snagging you. You literally fish it like a worm, just popping the cork and letting the shrimp settle. It's a little harder to caste because you have the cork and 18 inches of line from the DOA but it works good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
^^^ +1 on the DOA shrimp.

Yo Zuri makes a killer lure called Crystal Minnow 3D. 4 3/8" is the size you want. I prefer the Silver Black.

http://www.amazon.com/Yo-Zuri-Cryst...1&keywords=yo+zuri+3d+crystal+minnow

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those crystal minnows are killer on flounder and seabass too, at least im Peru

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Also, the hardware that Yozuri uses is top notch. The hooks and eyelets don't rust up anywhere near as quick or bad as the hardware that Mirrolure uses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
743 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.