24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-30 in Savage Model 340 bolt action carbine. Killed a spike at a range of 4 inches.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Salvage Weather Warrior in 325 WSM. Sold that bad luck SOB and never looked back.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
223 AI, thu tha hart. 800 yds. smirk

No that was the second one or it was a 270 WBY mag. with 150 NPs.
The same peashooter i took a mulligan moose with west of Williams Lake, BC just east of the Coast Range.

First was with an 80 lb pull custom Oneida Eagle up the ridge on the north side of Whitehead canyon at timberline on the east side of the steam engine line just a few miles south of Silverton. 4x4 raghorn.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/15/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball

First was with an 80 lb pull custom Oneida Eagle up the ridge on the north side of Whitehead canyon at timberline on the east side of the steam engine line just a few miles south of Silverton. 4x4 raghorn.

Took my first elk a few miles S. of Silverton also.
Pretty steep terrain above that rail line!
It must look different now that the Animas is bright orange.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Remington 700 in 30-06 with core lokt 180's.

My son now uses that rifle.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Zilch
A model 8 Remington chambered in the 35 Remington with a Lyman peep shooting 200 grain Winchester Western Silvertips in 1959.

Now that was classy!!!!

John Browning would be proud.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
300WM in model 70 push feed. Load was 200 grain NP with 76 grains of RL22. Age was 12 and the recoil cut my forehead wide open. Dads first response is put snow on the cut and don't tell mom.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm going to tell my wife's (before she was my wife) story. She was 24, first year hunting with a borrowed .243 Win, hunting with husband and friends on a feed ground south of Jackson, WY near Hoback Junction. Her ex sent her up a ridge while he headed a different direction (I'm sure to get her out of the way). While easing along, she met another novice hunter (also with friends but his hunting season had ended). While walking, conversing and approaching the top of the ridge, they came across several more hunters at about the same time a group of elk came running by at about 100 yards. Trying to impress the other hunters, she said “I'll take the lead cow!”. At this moment it's not certain who was more surprised, the elk which had just been hit in the brisket (almost a miss) or my wife. The elk goes down, but not yet dead. Wife runs closer to about 25-30 yards, took a rest on a tree (shaking the rest of the fall leaves from it's branches) and took 2 more shots before hitting the cow in the head before finishing her off. She had no knife to bleed out or gut the elk. The novice hunter had a knife, and while actually never gutting an animal, said “I've read about it and I'll talk you through it!”. She slowly walked up to the elk, poked it with the knife, it quivered and she flinched. After several attempts of trying to talk the novice into at least cutting the throat for her, she noticed her friends coming towards her. She returned the knife to the novice and told him “I know my friend will gut it for me!”.
As the novice was leaving, he asked her if she wanted him to find her husband and tell him she had an elk down. She described her husband and he headed in the general direction of where she thought her husband was. The novice actually did find her husband, telling him that his wife had an elk down. His initial response was “Not my wife!”. When the weekend hunt was over, she was the only one taking an elk. Her first year of hunting was actually quite a success! With that same borrowed .243, she killed a doe mule deer and got her first moose (young 2 yr old bull) with her husband's .264 WM; thus fueling her passion for hunting. Since that season, thus far in her hunting career, she's taken many antelope, elk, mule deer, two moose, two bear and a very nice Big Horn sheep. From a .243, a .264 WM, and her .270 Win, she moved up to a .338 WM in the early 90's and it has become her one and only, go to hunting rifle. - memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
At least she attempted to gut the cow!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When my feet hit the ground in elk country I was toting a fairly new Rem 700 CDL in 35 Whelen. It was loaded up with 225 gr TSX's. No elk that year.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first year elk hunting, I toted a m77 tang safety .243 win stoked with 100 gr. hornadys... I too read and was told elks were tough as ol' barn nails and wondered a little about the caliber.

Next year a brand new m77 .280 rem was slung over my shoulder stoked with 160 gr. grand slams I handloaded myself. Killed a very nice 5x5 @ 60ish yards. First shot it was dead, perfect broadside heart/lung shot. The next 4 were not really necessary... blush

Been near 30 odd years ago and the same ol' 280 still goes elk hunting.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by raybass
When my feet hit the ground in elk country I was toting a fairly new Rem 700 CDL in 35 Whelen. It was loaded up with 225 gr TSX's. No elk that year.

The 225 gr. .35 caliber TSX is one flat out elk slayer. Just ask me how I know. grin

My very first elk hunt was in IIRC 1975 or 76. Toehold memory banks don't work quite as well as they used to. whistle Any, after reading elk were irc lads I convince my wife I need something bigger so I bought a Mark X Mauser in .375 H&H. I've shot .375's before so was no stranger to the recoil. Practiced on pocket gophers prior to the hunt and considered myself good to go.
First day of the hunt I'm on stand at the edge of a clearing and off a bit to my left are two trees a few feet apart with a fallen tree making the whole scene look just like a door way. My thought was wouldn't it be cool if an elk popped out through that "doorway"?
Well about 45 minutes later that just what happened. A legal spike came right through that doorway and I was set up just perfect for a shot. Here I have a spike elk stopped dead still staring in my direction, my crosshairs smack dab in the middle and I squeeze off the shot and it's a miss. shocked Mr. Elk flees the scene before I was able to get off another shot.
Comes now the rest of the story. I'd set my rifle down to go take a dump away from camp. While I was gone the recital orifice and messed with my scope adjustments. All of us were from the same town in Nevada and he and I really didn't get along. I didn't find out about it until we'd come home after the hunt when someone told me about it. mad I still think I should have called him out on it but my wife talked me out of it. I did tell him that I knew what he did and he'd best not do it again.
That started a very long 35 year string of bad luck elk hunts that finally ended in 2010. Shot one elk and when I went to get help gutting it it gets stolen. The rest of the time if I had cow tags, I only saw bulls. If I had a bull tag, I only saw cows. Finally did a landowner hunt in New Mexico and broke my jinx, almost. Got the animal to the butcher shop and the meat was bad de to an infection and smelled rotten. The game warden was on his day off and refused to come out to certify the animal bad and issue me a new tag. mad Went again the next year and things have been 100 percent ever since. Be going again next January. Oh yeah, my "lucky" rifle is a custom Mauser in .35 Whelen. I won't leave home without it. grin
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow I would of beat ol boys ass... That is some bad luck for sure... Glad to see it changing for you.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PJG - That's a rough go of it for a while there.
Hope things even out.
You deserve a run of good luck after all that.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Paul, best of luck in the future.. You sure have had a run of bad luck...

Molon Labe
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 77 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.