-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My new then 1969 German 300 Wby MKV, 2-7 Loopy, shooting handloads with 180 gr Sierra Sptz.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used a 10lb hawken 58 caliber muzzle loader in 86 or 87. Learned that you don't need a 10 lb rifle in the mountains. Almost froze to death since I move to Colorado from phoenix. No elk. Traded for a tang ruger in 30-06. Killed a lot of deer and elk with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pre 64 Winchester model 70 375 H & H.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Alamosa
The thread about what rifle you had your kid hunt with got me thinking that the next generation (or two) are better outfitted than we were.
That's a good thing.

So what did you carry on your first elk hunt?
Family heirloom? hand-me-down? something spankin' new? your deer gun? loaner from a mentor?

If you can remember what bullet please identify.

Me?
My only rifle at the time - Marlin .30-30 with open sights. I knew it wasn't the best but I naively thought I would be able to compensate for any range limits of the gun. I soon changed my mind about that.

I don't recall the cartridge but I'm sure it was NOT premium.

My 1st Elk Hunt was early 70's, so some details are foggy. wink

Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine that was "sporterized" kicked like mule.
.303 British 180 CIL SabreTips IIRC

Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Pre 64 Winchester model 70 375 H & H.

Another pre 64!
One of the holy grails on my wish list.

IC B2

Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338Rules

My 1st Elk Hunt was early 70's, so some details are foggy. wink

Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine that was "sporterized" kicked like mule.
.303 British 180 CIL SabreTips IIRC

So did you get a shot opportunity?
I've looked at my .303's (mine aren't carbines) and thought that they had all of the elements to be good candidates to be sporterized.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A bow, and let a raghorn and cow walk. Wanted a big bull. Silly me.

Last edited by sidepass; 06/02/15.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hunted elk self guided with a friend four times while bow hunting and didn't kill one back in the late 80's early 90's.

Went on a guided rifle hunt in 2004 and killed my one & only elk, a 5x4. I couldn't have been happier!

Used my ULA 300WSM and 180gr Nosler Partitions........

[Linked Image]

I had a great guide (T. Mike Murphy) but he sucked as a photographer. smile

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was 19 and had to go to western MT. to hunt elk. Used the family rifle, a 95 Winchester. No one I knew hand loaded. We all shot 180grain Silver tips out of the old 30-06. It came with buckhorn sights and they worked whether you were on foot or horse back. It is still in the family.

Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ipopum
I was 19 and had to go to western MT. to hunt elk. Used the family rifle, a 95 Winchester. No one I knew hand loaded. We all shot 180grain Silver tips out of the old 30-06. It came with buckhorn sights and they worked whether you were on foot or horse back. It is still in the family.

I'd like to hear more about sighting up an elk from horseback. Did you shoot?
On occasion I have been able to get close enough to elk on horseback to use open sights. With every horse I've owned or used I would have ended up in the next county if I had pulled the trigger.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used a Remington 700 BDL in 300 winmag that I had bought from a friend from work. He had bought it new in 1964 for a deer hunt in Wyoming. It is the model with the stainless steel barrel. 180gr Nosler partitions, Federals. Bull was a nice 4x4 on first morning near Grand Junction, CO on my first guided horseback hunt.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Alamosa What I was saying, not to clearly, was open sights are preferred for horseback hunting. Not so apt to be knocked of of zero. No I would not shoot from the top of a horse. I like a saddle horse to well to do that. And the chance of hitting from a mounted position is remote for me at least. Locate the game and then do the sneak.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On my very first elk hunt I set off into the woods with a scoped, 7 ½ inch, Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with Federal’s now discontinued 220 grain silhouette bullets. I was able to hunt elk that year at least partially most days for about 6 weeks without being able to close the distance on the bulls I did see. Finally, with several days left to go in the season, I borrowed a Remington 660 in 308 to try to put my first elk on the ground. The weather was miserable, torrential rain mixed with snow at times. A lot of miles from my truck I popped out of some timber into a meadow and there was my bull standing 15 yards away. A 150 grain Remington Core Lokt slipped behind the near shoulder did the trick.

2 years later, however, I was able to get it done my Super Blackhawk. This time I was using 240 grain hard cast lead bullets; and a single one of these at a little over 100 yards behind the shoulder got her done. The rag horn bull was completely unaware of my presence and never reacted to the shot at all. About 20 seconds after the shot the elk simply tipped over and the hard work began. Almost 30 years ago but still one of the most fun hunting experiences of my life.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Winchester 30/30 brand spanking new for my birthday. As far as ammo, most likely whatever Western Auto had at the time.
Had a good mentor so I knew right off the bat it's capabilities before my first hunt that fall.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At age 14, I borrowed Dad's Remington 721 in .270 Winchester. Unsure of the load, but probably Federal 130 gr. spitzer. Killed a 4x4 bull while Dad was knocking over a different 4x4 bull around the corner from me. 1977 IIRC.

Last edited by 3584ELK; 06/15/15.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I finally got into the elk hunting game quite late...in 1992 at the age of 36. Before that time raising kids and work restrictions had kept me from fulfilling my dreams of going after elk.

Even though I was not able to actually hunt elk earlier.....I could still prepare and dream. I built my "elk" rifle in the mid-1980's....a Mauser 98 action I stocked and modified, barreled in .338 Magnum (thank you Elmer Keith). I killed a number of whitetails and hogs with that rifle before I made my first actual elk hunt using that rifle. I was successful in taking a smallish 5x5 bull (which looked like a world record to me after years of hunting mostly whitetails) on that hunt.

I continued to use that rifle for deer, hogs, and occasional elk for the next 10 years or so, until I foolishly traded it away for something I just "had" to have at the time. I can't even remember what I traded it for, but I know I regretted the deal almost immediately.

I suffered for a few years without a "real" big game rifle (although the elk, buffalo and moose I shot with the "underpowered" .30-06 and .358...and sometimes even lesser rounds,...didn't seem to notice the difference).

Then in 1998 or 99 (can't remember exactly when) I went on one of my regular "trade safaris" where I would load 8-10 guns in the truck and make the rounds of a dozen gun shops and pawn shops in search of "deals".

At my last stop (just 15 miles from the house) I walked in and looked over the gun rack....and found nothing I really wanted to trade for. The owner (who I knew quite well) asked what I was looking for....and I told him I wanted a "big" rifle, .375 or maybe a .338. He grinned and told me to stay where I was standing....as he put it "Don't move, I've got a deal for you".

He went to his back room and came out with a Remington factory box. Inside was an unfired Model 700 Custom Deluxe rifle, full factory engraved, and chambered for....338 Magnum.

I was in love, but I also knew what those rifles retailed for. When I asked, "how much", he responded with a price that was a few dollars less than a brand new Model 700 ADL. I asked him, "What's wrong with it?". He knew I had operated a gunshop/gunsmith business for years and was honest.

"I bought one of these a couple of years ago when I went to Africa", he told me, "and my supplier talked me into buying a lot of 3 of them at a price I couldn't pass up."

"And you found out there isn't as lot of market for a .338 in Deep East Texas," I responded. "Right!", he said, "I managed to sell one in Houston at a break-even price, but I'm ready to just get this one out of the shop."

The serious dealing began. I went out to the truck and brought in my "trade material" and asked how he wanted to trade. He looked over my stock and laid 4 of my guns to the side and said "Even". I moved a couple of the chosen guns to my side of the counter and added a couple of others from my "stash".

He frowned and said, "Can't do it. I'll break even on the others, but you just took out my "profit" guns."

We tried a few other combinations until finally told him, "To be honest, if I was on your side of the counter, the first offer you made is exactly how I would trade too...it's really fair, but I can't take your first offer or I would not be able to hold my head up as a "gun trader". Can't you throw in some ammo or something so I can feel I won?".

He grinned and ran back into the rear of the shop. He laid 3 boxes of Federal High Energy ammo loaded with 250 grain Woodleigh softpoints....and a set of engraved scope rings... on the counter. "The ammo is so you win the trade. I'll never use it unless I get back to Africa and that might be a while," he said, "The rings are from me because I like to do business with you. Make it up to me on another trade later."

That Remington 700 is my current "elk" rifle and has served me well over the years. I still wish I had my old Mauser back, but this one is everything one could wish for. A number of elk, buffalo and blue bulls....not mention several deer and hogs....would agree totally. Good looking, accurate and powerful enough for any task. I still think Elmer was right....the .338 Magnum is the "perfect" elk rifle.

When I got home and told my wife I'd traded 4 guns for the one rifle I explained the trade by telling her, "You don't know how much this puts my mind at ease. For years I've worried that some morning I'd step out on the back porch with my morning coffee and there would be a lion or bear or rhino would be standing there....and I'd not have a proper rifle to handle the situation."

She named it....and it's known to this day in my family as...."The Rhino Rifle".

This story made me smile- great stuff!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
3584ELK i loved your story, well written. Had me rooting for you, i thought for a minute that last gun dealer was going to pull your old rifle out of the back:)

Marine Corps, Mason, NRA Life Member & Cherokee
May you always know the Great Spirit is with you.
Years ago I swore an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign & DOMESTIC and no one has relieved me of that oath!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rem. 700 BDL .270. Shot over a dozen elk with that gun before stepping up to a .300 Win. mag. Only reason I bought the .300 Winny was a planned trip to AK. for moose.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My first hunt was last year. FN Model 70 featherweight (made in USA) in a McMillan in 7x57 with a Leupy 6X on it shooting 160 partitions. It worked great. smile

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ringman, I hope you wiped off your feet before you come home! lol

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7887mm08, Akhutr, Algotguns, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.