Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have had a love/hate relationship with Kuiu stuff ever since it came out. I love the product, I love(d) the idea. Initially I was sold on the technology and business model. Made in Canada? Sign me up. Direct sales with no middle man to keep prices down? Awesome, sounds terrific.

I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of their gear in those first few years. At that time it was tough to get some of their more popular items as they were always on backorder.

Then, Jason tells us he's frustrated as well, so he's moving everything to China to keep up with demand. He tells us the stuff is just as good and can make things faster and yada yada yada. Ok. I hate it, but OK. I feel like I've been sold a bill of goods about the whole "made right here in N. America" thing. Alright, I get it. If this helps keep up with demand, and it's just as good, whatever.

How long ago was that? A couple of years now? Since then, I have gone on Kuiu's website no less than a dozen times looking for things I needed. Pants, shirts, jackets, gloves. EVERY TIME it's out of stock. Without fail. Backordered, backordered, backordered. I just keep thinking it will be in stock someday, right? So I keep waiting.

This year I was set on buying an entire set of Verde Camo stuff to go with the Vias camo stuff I have. For 6 months at least I've been trying to buy things with the same story. Backorder. So, so frustrating.

Finally I decide I have to place the order soon, as I have a spring bear hunt coming up, and I hope to have it by then. I order about $1k worth of stuff - 8 items total. Every single one was on backorder. Now I wait. That was 3 weeks ago.

Since then, I have found a youtube video of Jason explaining why all of his stuff is on backorder - it's supposedly because of the shipping strike at the docks in California. He assures us all that the orders will be fulfilled in the next few days (this is a couple of weeks ago) when the ships are unloaded. Wrong.

I called them again today to see what the heck was going on. The lady that answered my call explained that "I had only been on backorder for most of my items for 20 days" and told me most of it *might* be here by Mid-June. It will not be here in time for my bear hunt in 3 weeks.

Jason and Kuiu can blame it on shipping or whatever the hell they want, but the fact remains that I don't think I have ever been able to order a pair of their pants when it was in stock. I thought that's why they moved to China? Right? So they could keep up with demand? How's that working out?

At the same time, the new products keep coming from Kuiu. New packs. New tent. New boots. More new packs. New rain gear. New gloves. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Here's an idea: instead of spending the time, money and resources developing new products, how about making sure we can buy the ones you currently offer? Is that too much to ask?

And what about that whole direct sales thing to keep the prices down? Kuiu stuff has to be the most expensive on the market. Where did the cost savings from moving the operation to China go?

It sucks because they make a lot of the best products on the market. My dollar talks and I know I could and probably should cancel my order, but I probably won't. Kuiu is the soup nazi of hunting gear. Shame on me, I guess. I'll just stand here in the line sulking and waiting for my opportunity to own more Kuiu stuff.

End rant.

GB1

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The port strike is just an excuse for their failure to forecast demand properly. Prices will not come down until people stop purchasing. I have not be overly impressed with their products durability and fit. You can find something of better quality on the shelves at REI. Camo is overrated and mostly unnecessary.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just giving an opinion but, sitka and first lite seem to be gaining some momentum in the design and technology areas. I have no allegiance and when Kuiu items are out of stock, I move on.

Regardless of the rant (which I agree with dryflyelk) its an awesome time to be a hunter at least in respect to gear.

The stuff I used in the past was heavier, uglier, and far cheaper. And really I can't think of one item from the good ole days that I actually miss.

Waterproof down, merino wool, stretch fit fabric, all seem to be major improvements.

Now if we could get a few innovators to stay the course- instead of inflate demand and charge a premium... then we'd all be a little happier.

Here's hoping that one of these companies hear our cries, of a fair/reasonable profit imperative while delivering quality goods, and having them in stock during hunting seasons. Wouldn't that be something to see?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
I have had a love/hate relationship with Kuiu stuff ever since it came out. I love the product, I love(d) the idea. Initially I was sold on the technology and business model. Made in Canada? Sign me up. Direct sales with no middle man to keep prices down? Awesome, sounds terrific.

I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of their gear in those first few years. At that time it was tough to get some of their more popular items as they were always on backorder.

Then, Jason tells us he's frustrated as well, so he's moving everything to China to keep up with demand. He tells us the stuff is just as good and can make things faster and yada yada yada. Ok. I hate it, but OK. I feel like I've been sold a bill of goods about the whole "made right here in N. America" thing. Alright, I get it. If this helps keep up with demand, and it's just as good, whatever.

How long ago was that? A couple of years now? Since then, I have gone on Kuiu's website no less than a dozen times looking for things I needed. Pants, shirts, jackets, gloves. EVERY TIME it's out of stock. Without fail. Backordered, backordered, backordered. I just keep thinking it will be in stock someday, right? So I keep waiting.

This year I was set on buying an entire set of Verde Camo stuff to go with the Vias camo stuff I have. For 6 months at least I've been trying to buy things with the same story. Backorder. So, so frustrating.

Finally I decide I have to place the order soon, as I have a spring bear hunt coming up, and I hope to have it by then. I order about $1k worth of stuff - 8 items total. Every single one was on backorder. Now I wait. That was 3 weeks ago.

Since then, I have found a youtube video of Jason explaining why all of his stuff is on backorder - it's supposedly because of the shipping strike at the docks in California. He assures us all that the orders will be fulfilled in the next few days (this is a couple of weeks ago) when the ships are unloaded. Wrong.

I called them again today to see what the heck was going on. The lady that answered my call explained that "I had only been on backorder for most of my items for 20 days" and told me most of it *might* be here by Mid-June. It will not be here in time for my bear hunt in 3 weeks.

Jason and Kuiu can blame it on shipping or whatever the hell they want, but the fact remains that I don't think I have ever been able to order a pair of their pants when it was in stock. I thought that's why they moved to China? Right? So they could keep up with demand? How's that working out?

At the same time, the new products keep coming from Kuiu. New packs. New tent. New boots. More new packs. New rain gear. New gloves. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Here's an idea: instead of spending the time, money and resources developing new products, how about making sure we can buy the ones you currently offer? Is that too much to ask?

And what about that whole direct sales thing to keep the prices down? Kuiu stuff has to be the most expensive on the market. Where did the cost savings from moving the operation to China go?

It sucks because they make a lot of the best products on the market. My dollar talks and I know I could and probably should cancel my order, but I probably won't. Kuiu is the soup nazi of hunting gear. Shame on me, I guess. I'll just stand here in the line sulking and waiting for my opportunity to own more Kuiu stuff.

End rant.

Cancel the order, get your money back, explain to them why, and buy from someone else.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did those thousands of dollars in clothing make you a better hunter or allow you to hike further? We all like pictures,

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Did those thousands of dollars in clothing make you a better hunter or allow you to hike further? We all like pictures,

I know you're being facetious, but the answer is yes. Yes, it does.

Lighter gear, less weight. Warmer. Faster. Further. More mobile. Able to sit still for a long time because my jacket is keeping me warm.

There is no question that good gear makes me a much better hunter.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Kuiu gear is nothing special. They are just copying hiking gear from other companies and making it in camo. Sitka was first to do this and they are a much better company to deal with. Personally I think people covered head to toe in Kuiu look like a tool.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, they look "mahvelous."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The port strike has been over since February. I have customers who were affected - they have received all of their items stuck in transit from the strike.

Next excuse...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ejo
Kuiu gear is nothing special. They are just copying hiking gear from other companies and making it in camo. Sitka was first to do this and they are a much better company to deal with. Personally I think people covered head to toe in Kuiu look like a tool.

Who started Sitka?

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

IC B3

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jason was one of a team not the sole founder.

Sitka is Arcteryx in camo, neither company is inventing any new products and Kuiu is trying to copy Sitka.

I have some Kuiu products and don't think they are any better than other expensive hiking clothing. I would not wait for Kuiu if I had a hunt coming up. Plenty of companies to buy from.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like my KUIU stuff (from the first batch way back when). I think it's great gear, and does everything I need it to. But I don't like it enough that I would wait on it for months when there are other suitable options available.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Time to get over Kuiu man. The rest of us did.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Higbean
Time to get over Kuiu man. The rest of us did.

Well said.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seems like there is more going on here than just a poor business model.

Originally Posted by dryflyelk

End rant.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you trust what Jason says, the demand for the product has gone so far beyond what they ever planned for. Based on their business model and the way their supply chain works, it's not possible for them to just make another run of attack pants or whatever. It's how most clothing companies work, but a lot of them have the ability to produce a [bleep] of it and then sell it for a discount at the end of the season. Kuiu is a much smaller company and that is not feasible for them at this time it appears.

I do like the products a lot, and think it is pretty dang cheap for the quality of fabrics/materials they use. Look at something comparable in Sitka or a high end mountaineering gear company and see which is the cheapest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have spent thousands like you said then I am truly sorry for you and your dollars. You should have enough gear and not need more. Who taught you how to shop? Kim Kardashian?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can understand the frustration. I ordered a couple items, attack pants and guide jacket, at the SCI show in Vegas in early February. At the time they told me it would be shipped out the following week. Nothing so far........

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The simplest answer for them is to raise their prices to curb demand until it matches supply. Econ 101.

RLTW
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
If you have spent thousands like you said then I am truly sorry for you and your dollars. You should have enough gear and not need more. Who taught you how to shop? Kim Kardashian?

MarlinMark,
When would you be available to come help me determine which of my gear I need and which I don't? Are you available for hire? That would be a very valuable service. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

374 members (160user, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,692
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.