Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In the area I live hunting opportunities are really rare. Everything is a development or farm land. Land that is wooded is leased off. My cousin went to a land auction 3 minutes from my house and bought 14 acres. Doesn't sound like much but here in suburban Maryland, it's a awesome opportunity to get out there. I've lucked into two double man permanent deer stands. Next is the crossbow to really take advantage and hunt as much as possible. I'm a nurse and only work 3 days a week so I'll really be hitting it hard. Through lots of reading I have pretty much settled on the Tenpoint Turbo model without the cocking gadget. Curious if there is a certain time of the year these crossbows go on sale? Seems like the $800 is the money on one of these.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sales generally start in April and May around here.

For us Eastern types, the last doe seasons/QDM seasons are still going, our sales tend to come later in the Spring. Hunters are still in the woods, and bow sales are generally pretty consistent through March.

April is usually the start of the dry season for the bow shops in NOVA, lasting into late May. Most 3-D shoots are just starting up in April/May and the bowfishing season will pick up as the summer months start and the water are clearing up.

The Archery Trade Show is in Jan each year, and the new models are introduced there.

March/April/May is also generally when the sales orders from the Archery Trade Show start shipping, and the shop are looking to make room for the new "shiney" on the wall.

Local Gander Mountain had Carbon Express X-bows discounted $300 (%40) off of the regular price, just to make room for the new models.

April is tax month for small businesses as well, in Virginia, the shop has to pay taxes based on the store inventory. Most shop owners are moving the last year's model, and moving out any thing that hasn't sold as expected to cut the tax bite.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/08/15.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. It's appreciated. What broad heads ya like?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Rage two-blades (orange), but best to see what works best with your bolts and s-p-e-e-d. I wouldn't be afraid to try a fixed blade on it, would probably start with Slicks Tricks, and then experiment if needed.

I'm running about 300-320 (estimated - need to chrono it) on a Carbon Express CRX-1 with the CE Hunter bolts, Nocturnals, and a 125 grain Rage head.

I've moved to a Redfield Revenge X-bow scope (non-illuminated) with variable power. I found the factory CE scope was pretty lacking in low light (dawn/dusk) and removed it. I tried a Viper Vortex that I had, and it was a good scope, but I had to pick a range to zero a bolt for and the rest of the lines were going to be off a bit.

With the variable power, you are matching the speed of the bolt to the scope reticule, and it's a nock-buster now out at 40 yards, as far as I can shoot. The Redfield has a ranging feature, I don use it, and doubt that I ever will.

I've found with the illuminated scopes that I have, the illumination can "bloom" in the sight picture in low light, even on the lowest settings. I'll get a green or red haze when the light is on. I've kinda decided that If I need the aiming point lit up, I'm probably outside of legal shooting hours.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/08/15.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The shwackers seem to be highly thought of? Also I see they're coming out with a 100 grain 1.5" 3 blade BH this summer.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Use Slick Trick 100 gr. "Razortricks" and Steelforce 100 gr. "Phat Heads" when chasing whitetails here in PA....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Well, a buddy is using Schwackers, and he's averaging one lost deer a season. I watched him shoot a doe at 30 yards last year, looked like a solid lung/liver hit. We backed out for 45 minutes to let her bleed out, then went in to find her. Long story short, she was still running two hours later, and into the next day, and no blood trail in the snow.

So, I'm not sure what went wrong, but she should have died from the location and angle of the hit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag! Thanks!
I am trying to talk my better half into getting me
a Excalibur x-bow

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AMRA
Tag! Thanks!
a Excalibur x-bow

I bought an Excaliber Matrix 330 a while back. It's a simple bulletproof bow.

The scope has range markers and it's duck soup to hit what you want out to fifty yards I haven't shot it past that range since I don't think it's such a good idea shooting even that far because like any crossbow, it's noisy. At fifty yards it will hold a couple inches. It is so fast that at 20-30 yards I doubt Bambi will jump much. I have no doubt that a 2 inch rage will go all the way through, maybe even at fifty yards.

I took a couple of cold-shuts and put them on a piece of nylon rope as a tool to cock it so I could change the string.

like every crossbow I've picked up, it doesn't hold steady for off hand shooting like a rifle, but like I said at fifty yards it'll still hold a couple inches off hand. The only thing I've shot with it so far is a pocket gopher who chose the range to be digging in. Not much of a test, but blood is blood.

So far I still like it better than any of the compound crossbows I've tried including a very compact model.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I run a 10 point and I love it. As for tips, I use 100gr slick tricks. Shot a doe New Year's Eve and it performed amazingly. Best part is that for me ( and others Ihave talked to), the broad head shoots the same POI as my target tips.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by AMRA
Tag! Thanks!
a Excalibur x-bow

I bought an Excaliber Matrix 330 a while back. It's a simple bulletproof bow.

The scope has range markers and it's duck soup to hit what you want out to fifty yards I haven't shot it past that range since I don't think it's such a good idea shooting even that far because like any crossbow, it's noisy. At fifty yards it will hold a couple inches. It is so fast that at 20-30 yards I doubt Bambi will jump much. I have no doubt that a 2 inch rage will go all the way through, maybe even at fifty yards.

I took a couple of cold-shuts and put them on a piece of nylon rope as a tool to cock it so I could change the string.

like every crossbow I've picked up, it doesn't hold steady for off hand shooting like a rifle, but like I said at fifty yards it'll still hold a couple inches off hand. The only thing I've shot with it so far is a pocket gopher who chose the range to be digging in. Not much of a test, but blood is blood.

So far I still like it better than any of the compound crossbows I've tried including a very compact model.

Thanks for the information!
I wish I had seen this here in time!
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9865724/Re:_10_Point_GT_Flex_Crossbow#Post9865724

Last edited by AMRA; 05/11/15.

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Well, a buddy is using Schwackers, and he's averaging one lost deer a season. I watched him shoot a doe at 30 yards last year, looked like a solid lung/liver hit. We backed out for 45 minutes to let her bleed out, then went in to find her. Long story short, she was still running two hours later, and into the next day, and no blood trail in the snow.

So, I'm not sure what went wrong, but she should have died from the location and angle of the hit.

Mechanicals are too risky and suck. If you can't kill one with a fixed, you don't need to be bowhunting.
Just IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodson
In the area I live hunting opportunities are really rare. Everything is a development or farm land. Land that is wooded is leased off. My cousin went to a land auction 3 minutes from my house and bought 14 acres. Doesn't sound like much but here in suburban Maryland, it's a awesome opportunity to get out there. I've lucked into two double man permanent deer stands. Next is the crossbow to really take advantage and hunt as much as possible. I'm a nurse and only work 3 days a week so I'll really be hitting it hard. Through lots of reading I have pretty much settled on the Tenpoint Turbo model without the cocking gadget. Curious if there is a certain time of the year these crossbows go on sale? Seems like the $800 is the money on one of these.

I have to ask, and I promise that this is no slight against crossbows. Is there a reason that you need to use a crossbow, rather than a compound? In my experience, the sound of a crossbow makes them less effective than compounds. If I had to use a crossbow, I would get the quietest one out there and do everything I could to make it quieter.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How does the sound a crossbow makes, make it less effective? Can we apply that logic to rifle calibers also? Your gonna get one shot so make it count. About the only time I have had a second shot is on a group of pigs that would spook and come right back in again. Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are normally a lot louder than compound bows and pressured, or mature, deer almost always jump at the shot of a loud bow. It won't matter with unwary animals.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Plus, the crossbow bolt is moving below the speed of sound, the rifle bullet is well over.

I've killed two deer in the same group, and same spot/stand with a bow, could not have done the same with a crossbow. My CRX is loud, not doubt about the noise playing a factor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess we need to get the manufacturers to start listing the noise levels that xbows produce. I'd hate to shoot at a big 12 pointer at 20 yards knowing the shot was gonna be noisy. Yep, might have to pass on that shot. C'mon guys, some xbows produce more noise than others just like compound bows. My 2 compounds are quieter than any of my 4 xbows but that doesn't stop me from using any of them. I agree that a quieter xbow may be desirable but loud ones kill them just as dead. Tom

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
They all kill them just as dead...if you can connect the shot, before they can jump the string.

I do a significant amount of urban archery with a crossbow, loud noises are not as much of a factor.

Back in the woods, it becomes a consideration, YMMV.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
laugh if you will. I also limit cross bow shots to 15 or 16 steps max. The few times I've used it, the bolt has hit within an inch or so of aiming point, have never hit anything but hearts so far.

But the noise is there, like a 22lr or mag crack mostly. Since I shoot out of a box, its really muffled though.

Why use one? Body won't let me shoot a compound some times due to fire fighting injury.

Other than that I prefer the regular bow. Like as in recurve, but now and then I can shoot my compound and have not been able to shoot my brackenbury since the injury a few years ago...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like I said, crossbows are loud. But... they are also fast, very fast. At 20 yards or so Bambi is not going to jump the string even from a crossbow with no noise suppression whatsoever. Spooky deer at 40 yards probably can manage it though. Just because they're loud doesn't mean Bambi will be jumping at the noise, urban deer or deep woods deer. I have seen a lot of deer just stand still because they're no sure where the noise came from. One of the deer last November just stood and watched while the one I shot with a muzzle loader dropped so hard and fast it bounced.

Unless Bambi is on high alert and homed in on you, a normal 20 yard or so deer just isn't going to be able to move enough before the arrow gets there to make a difference.

As far as mechanical broad heads are concerned, I would be willing to be a pretty fair chunk of change that as many or more deer are lost with conventional fixed braod heads as with mechanicals. Shooting deer with arrows is not a very high success rate proposition. The last numbers I saw were 30 some per cent of the deer hit were lost. That's versus 19 percent loss for rifle hit deer. Both numbers are pathetic. The numbers of arrowed deer I have found dead in the woods seems to agree with those numbers. The rifle hit numbers also seem to agree with what I have seen. Bow or rifle, it seems that there's a lot of people who should be a lot more careful about what and when they shoot at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.